Tips for reflux?

Options
mtdb8
mtdb8 Posts: 65 Member
edited November 2018 in Getting Started
I have silent but annoying reflux. I don't get heartburn. Instead I wake up with a sour taste in my throat and a burning feel in my mouth/throat every day. I have a chronic cough I've had for nearly 3 years. (And yes I've had my lungs checked. They're fine.)

The doctor gave me heartburn medicine and it used to work, but doesn't anymore.

My bed is elevated 7 inches at the head.

I already dont eat spicy, peppery, alcohol coffee or tea.

Loosing weight will help but significant weight loss is a long way off.

Thoughts on what else I can try?

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    losing weight helped.
    not eating before bed helped

there is more than one medication so if it isn't working ask for a different one.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Something that *may* help is paying attention to things at the other end. Try increasing your intake of fiber AND your intake of water. If things are sluggish in your elimination, that will slow down your stomach emptying and contribute to reflux issues.

It's not a cure-all, but it can be a contributing factor.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor for different meds. When I was weaning myself off Prilosec I alternated it with deglycyrrhizinated licorice (DGL), then switched to the DGL and finally was able to quit all the meds. This was after losing 60 pounds which made all the difference. There's nothing worse than waking up with that burning in your throat. Here's a link you can check out to see if maybe DGL might be helpful: https://www.healthline.com/health/digestive-health/dgl-for-acid-reflux
    I get it at my local health food store.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    talk to your dr and get another medication. have you had any scopes done to see if you produce too much acid or too little? if not maybe that may be the next step so that they can find the right med(s) for you. They can see if its also caused by other issues including H pylori
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Something that *may* help is paying attention to things at the other end. Try increasing your intake of fiber AND your intake of water. If things are sluggish in your elimination, that will slow down your stomach emptying and contribute to reflux issues.

It's not a cure-all, but it can be a contributing factor.

for some excess fiber and water can aggravate it. depends on the person. Im like that some days.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    What about chocolate?
  • somethingsoright
    somethingsoright Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    If my calories go beyond my TDEE, that's a sure-fire way to bring back my reflux.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    Ask your doctor for different meds. When I was weaning myself off Prilosec I alternated it with deglycyrrhizinated licorice (DGL), then switched to the DGL and finally was able to quit all the meds. This was after losing 60 pounds which made all the difference. There's nothing worse than waking up with that burning in your throat. Here's a link you can check out to see if maybe DGL might be helpful: https://www.healthline.com/health/digestive-health/dgl-for-acid-reflux

yet the link you posted states" At this time, scientific studies on the use of licorice haven’t found enough credible data to gauge whether licorice is effective for treating any condition" its best to see a dr to see what the root cause of it is. some cases it can be severe enough and reflux/GERD can cause whats called barretts esophagus which can lead to cancer.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I used to wake up gagging and almost throwing up from reflux. Losing weight helped the most, but also not eating a lot of food within a few hours of bedtime helps. The things that trigger it for me are tomato sauces, so I can't eat anything like spaghetti with sauce, or lasagna, or things like that. Eating too much sugar, or sometimes even just a little, will make it a lot worse. Chocolate and alcohol aggravate it also, for me.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    When I had it I was prescribed Nexium which worked like a charm - better than antacids like prevacid. I only took it for about 3 months then when I went off it everything was fine because Nexium also heals. Not eating 3 hours before bed may help as well as a glass of water before bed.
  • Rocknut53
    Options

yet the link you posted states" At this time, scientific studies on the use of licorice haven’t found enough credible data to gauge whether licorice is effective for treating any condition" its best to see a dr to see what the root cause of it is. some cases it can be severe enough and reflux/GERD can cause whats called barretts esophagus which can lead to cancer.

@CharlieBeansmomTracey I first told her to see her doctor. When I talked to my doctor she was perfectly content with me staying on reflux meds. I'm not typically one to go with naturopathic rememdies, but I was literally desperate to find something to help me so that I could get off the Prilosec. Several attempts resulted in rebound reflux which is worse than just having reflux (I also tried the much acclaimed ACV remedy, worst mistake ever). The DGL and weight loss worked for me or maybe it was just mind over matter. Anyway, I don't have acid reflux at all; Besides, the DGL tastes like chocolate so I was able to get a chocolate fix as well. ;)
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I, too, suffered from acid reflux when I was heavy. I went from the burning throat feeling to throwing up after a big meal to a chronic cough that lasted forever! I also had a wedgie pillow so I could sleep kind of sitting up. I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and reflux after more than a year of symptoms. Doc put me on Nexium twice a day. (After another doc had me on Prilosec for 6 months to no avail) Yay, it helped! After 6 months or so, I went to one a day, then none. I also lost 70ish pounds during this time. Every once in a great while, it will flair up (I did not do anything about the hernia) and I take Nexium for a week or two and it goes away.

I really never changed what I eat as far as considering what may have caused the reflux. I still drink alcohol, eat spicy food and chocolates and peppermints.

I suggest revisiting your doctor. Good luck!

P.S. I was a heavy smoker for years. I think that what I thought was a smoker's cough may have been that and the acid reflux.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

@CharlieBeansmomTracey I first told her to see her doctor. When I talked to my doctor she was perfectly content with me staying on reflux meds. I'm not typically one to go with naturopathic rememdies, but I was literally desperate to find something to help me so that I could get off the Prilosec. Several attempts resulted in rebound reflux which is worse than just having reflux (I also tried the much acclaimed ACV remedy, worst mistake ever). The DGL and weight loss worked for me or maybe it was just mind over matter. Anyway, I don't have acid reflux at all; Besides, the DGL tastes like chocolate so I was able to get a chocolate fix as well. ;)

Im glad you found something to work(I missed the part about seeing the dr so sorry about that). but my gastro would never go with the DGL. as for rebound reflux I have been there done that. its not pleasant. and ACV may work short term for those who dont produce enough acid(still dont recommend it) but those like me who make excessive acid ACV makes it worse. same with the betaine hydrochloride. I tried that before I knew I produced too much and OMG. as for anything licorice I would have to gag it down. just the smell alone is too much for me. not sure if that smells like licorce but if it does no thanks lol.I produce soo much acid that Im on a PPI and an H2 blocker and still some days its torture. I go back wednesday and Im going to tell her something needs done.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    mk2fit wrote: »
    I, too, suffered from acid reflux when I was heavy. I went from the burning throat feeling to throwing up after a big meal to a chronic cough that lasted forever! I also had a wedgie pillow so I could sleep kind of sitting up. I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and reflux after more than a year of symptoms. Doc put me on Nexium twice a day. (After another doc had me on Prilosec for 6 months to no avail) Yay, it helped! After 6 months or so, I went to one a day, then none. I also lost 70ish pounds during this time. Every once in a great while, it will flair up (I did not do anything about the hernia) and I take Nexium for a week or two and it goes away.

I really never changed what I eat as far as considering what may have caused the reflux. I still drink alcohol, eat spicy food and chocolates and peppermints.

I suggest revisiting your doctor. Good luck!

P.S. I was a heavy smoker for years. I think that what I thought was a smoker's cough may have been that and the acid reflux.

could have been reflux being aggravated by the smoking? my mom had that issue. and as for some weight loss helps for others not so much.I wish weight loss would have improved mine :( as for your hiatal hernia it depends on where it is. hubby has one and they said its too close to his heart and surgery is too risky and as long as it doesnt bother him he should be fine. he wouldnt go through with surgery anyway
  • Rocknut53
    Options

Im glad you found something to work(I missed the part about seeing the dr so sorry about that). but my gastro would never go with the DGL. as for rebound reflux I have been there done that. its not pleasant. and ACV may work short term for those who dont produce enough acid(still dont recommend it) but those like me who make excessive acid ACV makes it worse. same with the betaine hydrochloride. I tried that before I knew I produced too much and OMG. as for anything licorice I would have to gag it down. just the smell alone is too much for me. not sure if that smells like licorce but if it does no thanks lol.I produce soo much acid that Im on a PPI and an H2 blocker and still some days its torture. I go back wednesday and Im going to tell her something needs done.

It doesn't taste or smell like licorice otherwise I may not have tried it. I hope you get some answers. I know that you are not having fun with this.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

It doesn't taste or smell like licorice otherwise I may not have tried it. I hope you get some answers. I know that you are not having fun with this.

no I am not. it sucks and I hope I do too
  • Babs5420
    Babs5420 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I take magnesium from the vitamin asile. I take it in the morning and before I go to bed. It seems to be helping with my reflux and pho gallbladder attacks. Good luck to you!
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 563 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    This is me! It started about 3 years ago. I'm at a normal BMI and eat whole foods plant based with occasional lapses where sweets are concerned--have been working with the doctor on this, but I decided I don't want to take omiprazole, and it didn't help much anyway. I'm eager to read the suggestions here. I can keep the burning mouth tolerable by eating low calorie, no concentrated tomato products, no onions, no candy, and a lot less coffee, head of bed raised, ranitadine 2x day and occasional Tumms before bed. I got some Gaviscon from the UK and thought it helped at first but later decided it didn't do that much. I have not been able to give up a little cocoa in my favorite smoothie and have about 1 t. a day of instant coffee powder (very dilute coffee!). The burning tongue is maddening, though I've sort of gotten used to it, but I worry about what this is doing to my esophagus. It's extra incentive to stick to around 1200 calories a day, though. :(
  • nicolejo143
    nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I started intermittent fasting last month (16/8), and I think that it has helped me a lot. I stop eating at 7pm and eat at 11am. I think its the not eating before bed for so long that really helps. I also lost around 20lbs this year and I'm not overweight anymore which helped a lot too, but I think even losing some weight helps. I don't have to take my medicine everyday anymore, every other day or so is ok now for me. However, I do still need medication and I was told I'll need it the rest of my life. Definitely ask your doctor.