13»

Replies

• jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    I tried watching the second episode lastnight, and the first last week (twice), everytime I can't help but literally fall asleep after about the first 10mins.. So I guess I won't be watching it!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link!
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    1st full episode 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiXicpOJRYY

I missed episode 1 but already don't like episode 2 just a few minutes in. Basically, the guy was going on about no point in doing exercise to lose weight as the body can't burn above the resting metabolic rate. Nothing about someone Base Metabolic Rate increases.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    We have no TV so bump to watch later. Thanks for posting!
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    So, where's the results for the control group from that Minnesota study in 1945? I wonder what 100 men stuffed into a windowless compound under a football stadium and not allowed to leave for A YEAR eating 3,000 calories would end up like? Maybe they were crazy, too? As it turns out, there was no control group. What the hell kind of science is that?

And why did they start the participants at ideal weight and then starve them down 25% below ideal weight on average? Why not start them overweight and then "starve" them down to ideal weight?

I hate people that present an unbalanced story.

And I love the way he craps all over the diet industry (rightfully so, BTW), but offers absolutely no alternatives. I got to the end and thought we should all stop dieting because it doesn't work. So that would lead me to conclude that we are stuck with obesity and lots of folks get the opportunity to die an early death due to said obesity. Whether you call it obese or normal, the simple fact of the matter is that at 254 lbs, I was dieing much faster than I am at 185 lbs. We'll see where I am in 5 years.
  • KathyPerry70
    KathyPerry70 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    And why did they start the participants at ideal weight and then starve them down 25% below ideal weight on average? Why not start them overweight and then "starve" them down to ideal weight?

That study wasn't about over-weight people losing weight but about what would happen to average Joe who may soon be starving in post-war Europe. Not sure what they planned to do about all those crazy Europeans forced to eat grass, but at least they knew what they might be dealing with!

The first epidsode said fad diets don't work to help you lose weight in the long term. Even seemed to say that any form of calorie restriction (even down to 'normal' levels?) resulted in you ultimately weighing even more than before you cut the calories.

The second episode said that exercise doesn't work to help you lose weight. Okay, lots of other good benefits to your health, so don't stop. But don't count on exercise to lose weight - concentrate more on what you're putting in your mouth.

Hoping episodes 3 and 4 will have some answers on how to effectively shed health-damaging pounds. I do want to be healthy but I also want to not be a mass of wobbliness! But as the first two were about the health industries and how much they're making off our (false?) beliefs about ourselves, so I'm guessing we'll just learn more about how we're being scammed!
  • Full_Steam
    Options
    I watched both episodes and loved it. I love the message of exercise for health, not for weight loss. Making me rethink my workouts and doing what I enjoy and not what I think I should do...

I never heard TDEE mentioned...:laugh:

I joke...
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Hey guise, I'm looking for a quick fix. I heard if I do p90x and did a tea cleanse that I can get six pack abs. The Asian guy on YouTube said so. And I always trust Asian people.

Can't watch the video, but the diet and supplement industry is a multi billion dollar industry. They don't want you to get skinny. They want you to keep searching for the next thing that you think will work and pay mad money for it.

Lifestyle changes, proper food and exercise choices and a better outlook in life are better solutions.
  • Full_Steam
    Options
    Hey guise, I'm looking for a quick fix. I heard if I do p90x and did a tea cleanse that I can get six pack abs. The Asian guy on YouTube said so. And I always trust Asian people.

Can't watch the video, but the diet and supplement industry is a multi billion dollar industry. They don't want you to get skinny. They want you to keep searching for the next thing that you think will work and pay mad money for it.

Lifestyle changes, proper food and exercise choices and a better outlook in life are better solutions.

:huh:
    Who here is saying P90X and tea cleanses are the way to go? Watch the video okay "guise"?

That is pretty much what the video is about...:noway: