Self Esteem & Confidence?

Options
2»

Replies

• Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    OP, do you want inappropriate DMs? Because this is the way you get inappropriate DMs...

IC I was close lol
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    smolmaus wrote: »
    Seffell wrote: »
    Hm, why if someone likes slimmer people should be a garbage person? I'm personally put off by overweight and obese men. And I don't feel like I'm a garbage person. Am I?

We're not talking obese. But anyway, I would be looking at what preconceptions I had about what I thought "slimmer" people had that went away as soon as they gain some body fat.

It's more that the mindset "if only I lost 20lb he would like me/ I would he happier/ I would be confident" etc etc etc is toxic af and stops people living their real lives. If you discard people who judge you for your bodyfat % first and everything else second you'll be a happier person imo.

You're not, but we have no idea about OP. Where is the fact that it's just 20lbs between here and there coming from?
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I'm married, so I don't care if I get hit on or not. I've been married for several years too, so I don't have much advice or insight on being 30 and single.
    I also don't necessarily think that changing what you don't like about weight/size/shape makes everybody feel better about themselves as they think it's going to. How much it does help is going to be really individualized and probably depends a lot on what issues you had to start with. Self esteem issues should be something you work on anyway regardless if you do or do not want to lose weight.
    That said, I do feel like it is perfectly fine to want to lose weight with looking better being you main or even only focus. As long as you are going about it in a safe way/a moderate deficit and aren't developing an unhealthy mindset about food/eating, I don't see what is so bad about wanting to lose weight with looking better as your goal. The "being healthier" that is typically considered the more "noble" goal will most likely happen too as you are working toward looking better.
    Good luck!
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Options

You're not, but we have no idea about OP. Where is the fact that it's just 20lbs between here and there coming from?

That's the number I chose in my original post, which was the one responded to. If it's just losing weight for a self esteem boost that's kinda the definition of vanity weight, so 20lb seemed appropriate.

I suppose choosing not to date/ pursue a person who's additional weight has possible health complications attached to it is a slightly different issue.
  • lizalmp1234
    lizalmp1234 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone

• admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    To be completely honest my fitness journey started off slightly vain. I wanted to be desired after feeling like I never was. Now it feels kinda *kitten* cause the same people who overlooked me a couple years back suddenly know who I am. It just kinda shows you that those people aren’t worth it in the long run.
    Do I still workout and continue on with my fitness journey because I want to look good? Of course. But I *mainly* do it for myself now.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Just curious, I know we are all doing this for better health but is anyone here also trying to lose weight so you can attract the opposite sex and possibly feel better about yourself as well. I’ve reached 30 😫 and I feel like nobody is hitting on me anymore Lol. Sorry for TMI

I was able to score at any weight ;)

What helped my self esteem and confidence was therapy, yoga, and lifting weights.