Gym Protocol

Options
So..

You are at the gym, there are 50 empty treadmills.
You jump on the one about halfway through. Another person walks over and gets on the one next to you, ignoring the 48 other empty choices.

Annoying? Or am I too much of an introvert?

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    This is a common thing and from reading the threads here I've learned the many different reasons this may happen.

For me, at one point only two of the six treadmills in a certain area by the windows (which I prefer) had working TVs. They were right next to each other and when I got there someone was already on the other one so, yes, I got on the treadmill right next to them. I felt like explaining why I did that because I was thinking they were probably annoyed but I just kept to myself and did my workout.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    this. *Most* people won't take a machine near someone else when other choices without a reason. There is often a wide range in condition, ergonomics (between difft brands/models/years), calibration, etc amongst gym machines/also some people are just creatures of habit and will always prefer the same location.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My gym only has 2 treadmills and 2 stationary bikes...so you're pretty much stuck either way.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Treat the treadmills like frikken urinals people....

Urinal rules apply to more than just urinals.

I would take a treadmill in a corner, near a post, or right under the tvs. If someone got on the one right next to me (to either side), I would move to another treadmill.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    maybe they are just working up the courage to flirt with you
    yes I find that annoying but what can you do, there's no rule, and they have a right to use whichever treadmill they want.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    This always reminds me of electron orbital filling...makes no sense to fill a space when there's plenty of open/unfilled orbital (treadmills).

Unspoken gym rule is to leave at least one open space between yourself and another person in such a spacious environment; understandable if someone wants to be somewhat close as a source of motivation, but personal space!
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    If I get on an elliptical to warm up before some time in the weight room, I try to follow urinal rules. But I'm not bothered if someone joins in next to me.

Now if they take MY spin bike in spin class, there's gonna be trouble :wink:
  • DaytimeDuchess
    DaytimeDuchess Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    I used to go to a gym with about 20 completely identical treadmills, all in perfect working order, all the same make and model, all with personal TV screens, all looking out a second-floor window onto a street.

Every. single. morning, when I and one or two other people were the only people using them, someone would come to use the one right next to me, no matter which one I was on. The other ones would remain empty for the duration of my workout since I was there before the morning rush.

It was absolutely infuriating and it was also completely baffling since there was absolutely no reason to select one over another. I used a different one every day to prove this to myself.

I quit the gym and bought my own to use in the winter because I'm an antisocial weirdo and it drove me up the wall to constantly have some rando so close to me when it wasn't necessary.

Within situations as you're explaining, it's plausible that they desire to compete with someone!
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    This always reminds me of electron orbital filling...makes no sense to fill a space when there's plenty of open/unfilled orbital (treadmills).

Nerd.... (I'm a science guy...)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    I call gym-foul. Then again, I'm biased and have been known to privately refer to strangers as NPCs (non-playable characters). That's a big reason why I've invested in my home equipment; it's never crowded, I don't have anyone taking my space, and I don't have to leave my house.

brilliant

treadmills. favorites? depends on tv placement, fan placement, type of treadmill.
    i had to sometimes go next to a person because there were only three woodways. and if i were doing a long run, i didn't want to run on a "normal" treadmill. woodways had more cushion and better belt.