Gym Protocol

Options

Replies

• poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    back to the original convo... if it bothers you that someone jumped on the machine right next to you in an otherwise uncrowded area... smile at them as you get off your machine and move to another one. Easy Peasy. If they were trying to flirt, you've just let them know, nicely, that you're not interested. If they wanted motivation, you've let them know, nicely, that you're not it. And the smile? That lets them know that you're not being a beotch, you just want your own space. ;)
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    pondee629 wrote: »
    "Reach out of the Darkness". We have now gotten to the point where we can no longer stand someone being on the next treadmill. Does a little friendliness hurt that much? Then again, A rock feels no pain and an Island never cries. No you don't have to friendly to everyone. Imagine if we all were. Good day all

in the midst of depression and anxiety, it can hurt "that much."
    it can be terrifying and insurmountable.

I am truly sorry for you.
  • PressingPatience
    PressingPatience Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    tbh pushing myself to go to the gym everytime was a massive battle enough without having to deal with people who might want to talk to me as well

From one introvert to another, I completely understand :flowerforyou:

Same here.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    pondee629 wrote: »
    I don't understand the problem.
    Spadhnik wrote: »
    I was overweight (I am still ow) and I was brisk walking on treadmill when there were many left empty. Two really fit girls (they were friends) came and took treadmill on either side of mine. And they were running while I in middle just walking.... I don’t know if that was on purpose but very uncomfortable for me!!

The only person against whom you're competing is yourself. I have heard, here, the comparison is the thief of joy. It really makes no difference what anyone else is doing in the gym. The only person with whom you should be concerned is you.
    yeah it's annoying, it's more annoying when you constantly see them looking at your control panel to check your speed so they can try to one-up you or try to start a conversation too.

Plug in your ears, and mind your workout. It's not like they are getting onto your dreadmill to share. So what if they are trying to "one up" you? How does that effect your workout? If they try to start a conversation and you are just to antisocial to comply, that's what ear buds are for. Just nod an acknowledgment and continue on your own.

O,P. why is it annoying? Isn't there enough room on your treadmill for you? Do other people really effect your sense of being that much? What they are doing should have no effect on what you do. Go to the gym, get YOUR work in, go home and enjoy life. I don't understand the problem. Now if they had tried to commandeer YOUR treadmill, that would be something annoying.

It annoyed me because:

1) I'm a geeky introvert. (I'm an engineer.) I despise anyone trying to talk to me at the gym.
    2) Before starting her treadmill, she took some time bending over pretending to do something with her shoes, but I could feel her eyes on me looking me over.
    3) She looked my controls over after starting her machine.

1) i don't want to talk to others at the gym either, and i accomplish that by not making eye contact. (if I were an introverted geeky engineer, i' don't know how anyone would know that by looking at me, unless I wore a large label to that effect).
    1a) exception to eye contact is for loud conversationalists. I will wave to catch their eye, put my fingers to my lips, point at them, and then point to my headphones - all to communicate (usually effectively) that I can't hear my headphones because they're talking too loudly. I never actually have to open my mouth.
    2) + 3) It's beyond my imagination to think what possible risk any of this behavior poses. RISK , as in , something that will cause damage.

You could choose to move to another machine, is the other option I can think of.

hope you find a solution,.
  • PressingPatience
    PressingPatience Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    So, I've been thinking about this question. I'm an introvert by nature but I will also probably pick the machine next to the only person in the room rather than the opposite side of the room. At the very least, I'd chose one near to the only person in the room. I'm not sure why actually. Maybe there's still a pack mentality deep down in my psyche... I dunno.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    kg1pciouroc6.jpg

No one is claiming that this was the end of the world. (YOU are the one trying to make a big deal out of my question)

I just found it annoying, and wondered if I was an oddball.

Apparently not, as many agree that this is annoying.

Or I was trying to be funny. Why do you assume I was making a big deal of it when I post a meme? That's about as far away from a big deal as the east is from the west.
  • tbright1965
    edited November 2018
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    thanks to the people who gave me hug, and sent out a couple of woo's.
    depression and anxiety can not be solved by being friendly to stragers, infact it makes it a whole lot worse.
    its nice to know someone understand a little xx

We live in a place and period of time where introverts are generally looked down at. But there have been other times/places where introverts were valued and probably will be again. Don't let it get to you. There are lots of us, we just don't realize it because we are all either avoiding each other or pretending to be extroverted in public so we don't get made fun of :blush:

If you're a reader, check out Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain.

I have no problem smiling as I walk by someone or chatting with the cashier at the grocery. But yeah, it would make me uncomfortable if someone took the machine right next to me. Even with the possibility of their being a good reason! It's just my preference, and I'm allowed to have it, just like this other person is allowed to take the machine if they want. My POV is, why should we have to deal with each others noises, smells, etc if we don't have to? It's up to me what I do in reaction to it. The OP didn't seem to really have anything to do with "rights" or suggest it is the worst thing ever, just that it bothered them and wondered if it would've bothered others <shrug>

FWIW, I'm a situational extrovert. (Edited to change that, I totally messed that up.)

Say what?

Years ago, when I was in the Army, I was given the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator test. We took it while I was at Ft Gordon for Signal Officer Advanced training. I was an ESTJ with what I called a "flaming E" for full on extrovert.

They gave us a second copy of the test with different, but just as effective questions and told us to go home, take off the uniform and take the test. I did.

We got the results back after a few days and as I said, the in-class test was full on E. The at home test also came out ESTJ, but I was just barely an extrovert during the test taken at home.

Bottom line, I'm sure we all vary in our personalities based on the situation. I might be a full on E in a group, and anyone who has taken a group exercise class with me may have experienced it. But in private, I'm comfortable in my own skin, being alone.

I can imagine the opposite being the case. In public, someone who is an introvert may be even more introverted than they are at home, more relaxed.

FWIW
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,755 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    lkpducky wrote: »
    The only time it bothers me if someone is on a nearby treadmill (and this doesn't have to be the one next to me) is if someone's footsteps are loud and also a different cadence from mine. Yesterday the combined cadence sounds (hers and mine) made me dizzy so I went to another treadmill in another block of treadmills. Problem solved.

TBH, I'm probably the person you had to get away from - my feet slap down pretty heavy and I know I make a lot of noise. Frankly, I just had to get over being self-conscious about it - I run how I run. I've seen other posts where people complain about people running too loudly on the treadmill and when I just started I thought I was being rude (even stopped running a couple of times when someone next to me was running faster so I wouldn't disturb them), but I've realized that there's no actual protocol for how loud you're allowed to be on the treadmill :)
    Don't get me wrong, I know heavy footfalls aren't something that are easy to control, not faulting anyone for that. You've got to run with the right form and cadence for you. I just had to move, though.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options

Years ago, when I was in the Army, I was given the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator test. We took it while I was at Ft Gordon for Signal Officer Advanced training. I was an ESTJ with what I called a "flaming E" for full on extrovert.

They gave us a second copy of the test with different, but just as effective questions and told us to go home, take off the uniform and take the test. I did.

We got the results back after a few days and as I said, the in-class test was full on E. The at home test also came out ESTJ, but I was just barely an extrovert during the test taken at home.

Bottom line, I'm sure we all vary in our personalities based on the situation. I might be a full on E in a group, and anyone who has taken a group exercise class with me may have experienced it. But in private, I'm comfortable in my own skin, being alone.

I can imagine the opposite being the case. In public, someone who is an introvert may be even more introverted than they are at home, more relaxed.

FWIW

Not to derail the conversation, but you do know that Myers-Briggs is a load of *kitten* right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NQqSnkI32A
  • tbright1965
    Options
    I believe it was the National Academy of Sciences that found that only the E-I results of these tests had high correlation with other tests.

I certainly wouldn't expect someone to choose a career based on the results of a test. However, I found it interesting that I was more of an E in a group setting, and closer to the middle when taking the test at home, in my fuzzy bunny slippers instead of combat boots.
    FireOpalCO wrote: »

FWIW

Not to derail the conversation, but you do know that Myers-Briggs is a load of *kitten* right?

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    FireOpalCO wrote: »

Whilst I'd agree that the MBTI is probably the weakest personality instrument available, these tools have their use. Later instruments are based in sounder science, although with all of them their generalisation isn't helpful.

The value of any of these instruments is the discussion around it. Even as simple as described above, there's a discussion around what factors contribute to the difference in scoring.