Pump up the music. Playlists. Do they help?

Hey everyone. I love music and jamming out during a workout really helps motivate to mush me through... I am interested to hear how music influences your workouts. Share your playlists here. 🕺🏻🏋️‍♂️😆

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    One gym that I go to plays this testosterine dropping pop music in the weight area.

Thank the Lord for headphones and a music source that can play classic rock and metal.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    It's an interesting question. When I run I listen to music. When I am on my road bike I often have the earbud in the away from traffic ear (turned down). I listen to different genres and playlists according to my mood.

That said, sometimes I forget to charge my earbuds, or for some reason can't listen to music. On those days I often spend the first minutes of my workout missing the music - but after a bit I almost "get in the zone" better without the music. My mind wanders and I think about things that I would not think about with the music playing. I'm not sure if that would be true in the gym, but it applies to me with long cardio workouts.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I have a variety of running playlists, but also listen to podcasts. I'd like to get something reliable for swimming, but haven't yet. For weights I just tend to go with what's in the gym.

When I used to do spinning the music the instructor chose absolutely was the key to whether I enjoyed or hated the class.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited November 2018
    I have a workout playlist on spotify that I listen to while running. For some reason the idea of running with nothing to listen to but my own thoughts doesn't seem very pleasant. But I will do my strength workouts in silence and I'm ok with that.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    edited November 2018
    I listen to suspenseful audiobooks while running/walking, and a variety of 90s alternative stations on Amazon Music while lifting (Stone Temple Pilots and Live stations are my favs so far)

ETA: I think it does help to some extent. I feel like more of a bad *kitten* & more prepared to grit my teeth and lift some heavy weight when I’m listening to certain songs than others. I may not have lots of testosterone, but certain types of music sap my estrogen/will to live and leave me in a progesterone-soaked haze thinking maybe I’ll just stretch today.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    I love running to music, on the short runs I put on my favorite songs and on the long runs i'll listen to relaxing guitar music on pandora. Good music definitely defines my workouts. One day i'd like to listen to some audiobooks while running...
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i think some people need the distraction. other people-their heads aren't always a safe place to be. some people naturally follow along with the beat of the music.

running while female, often in the city with questionable safety, i choose to not run with music. when i ran on a treadmill, i would watch action shows/movies
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    i think some people need the distraction. other people-their heads aren't always a safe place to be. some people naturally follow along with the beat of the music.

running while female, often in the city with questionable safety, i choose to not run with music. when i ran on a treadmill, i would watch action shows/movies

I have a running playlist, the first half is songs for cadence, then after that it's upbeat music while I run with my natural rhythm. I listen to audio books when I walk, and nothing when I'm lifting (the gym has music, but you can barely hear it over the background noise).
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited November 2018

I've been told since i'm a girl I shouldn't run with headphones either. I took a self defense class a while back and the instructor also said no pony tails or braids since they're easy to grab and the bad guy could use it to control you into his vehicle... no back packs of any sort for the same reason... lots of suggestions. It kinda sucks, especially if you're training long distances not to bring with a water pack or put your hair up. I can't do without any of those things so I take the risk.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Music helps me make it through runs. I tend to overthink it when I don't have something to distract me. During regular workouts, I don't notice wear headphones and pay little attention to the music playing in the gym.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    I'm sorry for the extra steps women have to take.

I workout with earbuds and my music. If I'm lifting or running on a treadmill, it's both. If running outside, I only use one. On a trail where I keep to the right, I wear the right one so I can hear someone coming up behind me. On the road where I run on the left, I use the left one.

My earbuds have built in storage and I prefer not to run with my phone (as it is a big assed S9+). I can't listen to streaming for this reason and I've never gotten into podcasts. I have my music sorted by BPM for when I want to work on my cadence.

Anytime I've run without music it's been harder for me.
  • bling_7
    bling_7 Posts: 25 Member
    I listen to suspenseful audiobooks while running/walking, and a variety of 90s alternative stations on Amazon Music while lifting (Stone Temple Pilots and Live stations are my favs so far)

ETA: I think it does help to some extent. I feel like more of a bad *kitten* & more prepared to grit my teeth and lift some heavy weight when I’m listening to certain songs than others. I may not have lots of testosterone, but certain types of music sap my estrogen/will to live and leave me in a progesterone-soaked haze thinking maybe I’ll just stretch today.

I love the STP reference. I am not sure if the suspenseful audiobooks would work much for me though! 😂 whatever gets it done right? Although I will say I have listened to podcasts as I have been running and it helps me as well.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited November 2018
    FL_Hiker wrote: »

I've been told since i'm a girl I shouldn't run with headphones either. I took a self defense class a while back and the instructor also said no pony tails or braids since they're easy to grab and the bad guy could use it to control you into his vehicle... no back packs of any sort for the same reason... lots of suggestions. It kinda sucks, especially if you're training long distances not to bring with a water pack or put your hair up. I can't do without any of those things so I take the risk.

how are we supposed to wear our hair? A bun is the only option? Or just have really short hair?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Heavy metal & hard rock are my go tos while working out. I throw in some Weird Al and some Diana Krall so I don't get too ragey. Lots of Five Finger Death Punch at the moment.

I have an over the ear set and only pop one bud in so I can remain aware of my surroundings.
  • bling_7
    bling_7 Posts: 25 Member
    edited November 2018
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Heavy metal & hard rock are my go tos while working out. I throw in some Weird Al and some Diana Krall so I don't get too ragey. Lots of Five Finger Death Punch at the moment.

I have an over the ear set and only pop one bud in so I can remain aware of my surroundings.

Are you a runner or lifter? I have seen many "ragey" lifters but not many rage runners. Although that would be a site to see during a marathon. :smile: {I am all about the heavy metal and hard rock myself... especially when lifting weights. It helps get me through a tough set.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    bling_7 wrote: »

Are you a runner or lifter? I have seen many "ragey" lifters but not many rage runners. Although that would be a site to see during a marathon. :smile: {I am all about the heavy metal and hard rock myself... especially when lifting weights. It helps get me through a tough set.

Both - train for obstacle course races. I tend to match pace with the rhythm which can screw me up sometimes.
  • mbaker566
    mph323 wrote: »

I have a running playlist, the first half is songs for cadence, then after that it's upbeat music while I run with my natural rhythm. I listen to audio books when I walk, and nothing when I'm lifting (the gym has music, but you can barely hear it over the background noise).

i've heard the same.
    i run with dogs.
    i'm not so worried about the dread SA but just a general assault. i can get lost in music or a book making me an easy target. living in a city, i try to be aware of my surroundings and not make myself easy pickings (even though i just carry dog bags and my phone-they don't know that)
  • mbaker566
    bling_7 wrote: »

i love 5fdp for a run, korn, art of dying, manson, sixx am, disturbed, slipknot, static x, saliva, adema
    especially if it's a "feelings" run. on rare occassions i run with music. and when i do, it's often one of the listed
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    I mostly listen to hard/classic rock, but I have a very eclectic collection of music and there's no telling what might play next. Could be Guns 'n Roses, could be Herb Alpert. :D I also listen to a lot of podcasts and some old-time radio shows. I have a set of bone-conduction headphones I wear for running. They don't go in your ears, but press against the side of your head just in front of your ears. Since your ears aren't blocked, you can still hear everything around you.

Whether music helps, just this weekend during the pre-race show for the Brazilian Grand Prix they did a story about the music the F1 drivers listen to before getting into the car. A couple of the team physios mentioned that music had been shown to improve something (Pain tolerance? Focus? Percieved level of effort?) by some small percentage, like 2% or something. (I'm sorry I don't remember any better, I don't pay much attention to the pre-race show before the grid walk.)
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    I listen to what ever music is playing at the gym (mostly oldies). Most of the time I don't even hear anything since I am in the "zone" lifting or doing some moderate cardio (no running).