Interesting article

Options
This article has an interesting view of the reasons behind dieting choices - https://getpocket.com/explore/item/eating-toward-immortality-1597909330

Replies

• gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I like this article a lot! Although I wish there was a section on female socialization and eating/diet, especially when the author talks about the guilt that comes with eating
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    This article has an interesting view of the reasons behind dieting choices - https://getpocket.com/explore/item/eating-toward-immortality-1597909330

"Unclean, agnostic eating"... Love it.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    That was just great. Thanks for posting it.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Good link! Quite amusing, though could've been edited to a more pithy clarity, for my taste.

As a cancer survivor, especially during treatment, I'd routinely seen people implicitly holding up their best practices (eating, postive attitude, whatever) as a presumed talisman that would prevent them from experiencing what I was going through. (The most blatant form was probably "God won't give us anything we can't handle, and I couldn't handle that" - in words nearly that explicit! But there were other remarks that embodied similar magical thinking, diets or attitudes urged on me that would surely save me, since the person speaking used them and didn't have cancer themselves. SMH.)

Later, delving into weight loss culture here - so strongly colored by pop culture nonsense and profit-seeking charlatans' pseudoscience - it was pretty clear that the underpinnings often include that same "talisman against mortality" thinking, and the sin/expiation model of eating is obviously common ("I've eaten the bad foods, and now I feel sooo guilty. Should I do a cleanse?" "I'm eating clean, and working out, but can't lose weight: Whyyyyy?"). And what kind of first-world self-absorbed privilege does it take to believe that "starvation mode" will prevent weight loss, while poor people clearly starve to death daily, world wide?

This is just such an insightful post in so many ways. Not the least is the experience of having cancer (not me. My daughter, stage IV breast cancer) and all the el meaning but inappropriate advice. And also the psuedo science as well as the "expiation" model of diet. Probably the best summary of our disfuntional food culture I've seen. Thank you for your insight.