scale question

Options
Hey everyone quick question...

when being a scale watcher is it possible to lose body fat and stay the same weight because of muscle mass?

and if this is the case how do you really know if your making progress?

how do you know it's it's time either raise or lower calories?

Replies

• TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I believe in theory, yes, but as someone who's never done it I couldn't tell you.

Most people use photos or measurements as a guide instead of weight. Here's a perfect example.

muu7jwxh1haw.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Unless you’re taking anabolic steroids, you’re not going to gain muscle fast enough to completely offset fat loss on a 1:1 basis.

. . . unless you're willing to lose that fat really, really, really, really, extremely, super slowly.

You might want to read this thread, and think about whether it applies to you:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

If it doesn't, that nice Mr. AnvilHead is right.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    From your other post your weight not moving is most likely a result of water weight from your body recovering from surgery and mentioned you were mainly doing Cardio since you were able to re-start doing activity (changes in activity also cause water retention). It's highly unlikely that you're gaining muscle.
  • maronesax1972
    maronesax1972 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I just reached my goal weight three weeks ago. I’ve cut my cardio and went heavier on the weight training. Since reaching my GW, I’ve seen my BF go down 0.2%. I think it’s a long journey once you’ve cut. But my plans are to take 2% more, off my BF and allowing about 5 pounds of muscle to be added, so yes...some weight gain. Oh, and I am expecting this to take 18 months or so.