Anybody else get tired of counting calories?

Options

Replies

• FitAndLean_5738
    FitAndLean_5738 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    For everyone who logs: do you all use food scales to weigh every bite of food? What if you're at someone's house for dinner or at a restaurant? Do you bring your food scale with you so you can measure your food? Do you bring you food scale on vacation with you? Or do you just not log or do you estimate?

For those who log but don't have a food scale: how has estimating everything been going? Were you able to see results while solely relying on portion size estimates?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    For everyone who logs: do you all use food scales to weigh every bite of food? What if you're at someone's house for dinner or at a restaurant? Do you bring your food scale with you so you can measure your food? Do you bring you food scale on vacation with you? Or do you just not log or do you estimate?

For those who log but don't have a food scale: how has estimating everything been going? Were you able to see results while solely relying on portion size estimates?

I weigh my food at home. I don't bring it to restaurants or friends' houses. I estimate my calories for restaurants. I definitely do not log on vacation.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I used a food scale whenever I was home, and estimated all other times. I found using the scale made me better at estimating over time. IMHO, it's better to estimate and be a bit off than just not log. I think having that data to look back on, even if it isn't perfect, is better than nothing. But i am the analytical type :wink:

Some people do perfectly fine with estimating and using cups and spoons. I guess they are just better at eyeballing than the rest of us!

This is what I do as well.
  • GrowlingCupcake
    GrowlingCupcake Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Having to constantly weigh, and log everything definitely led to the downfall of my first attempt to lose weight. I have OCD, so becoming obsessive about it was ridiculously easy, and it started to turn into ritualised behaviour. Eventually, there was so much anxiety about the whole thing, that I just burnt out, and gave up.

I think weighing/logging is an excellent tool, but it can be difficult to find the right balance, and it is definitely not something I want to do for life. Currently, I am estimating, and have not had any issues; I think the months I spent weighing food helped me understand portions.

I do plan on going back to weighing/logging at some point, but my end goal is to be able to estimate portions with good degree of accuracy.

I am losing ~2lbs per week. I have a lot to lose, though, so even if I am constantly underestimating calories, I am still below maintenance.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I tend to go back and forth. With less than 25 pounds left to lose, if I want an appreciable loss, I really do need to weigh, measure, and track or my losses slow - with my eating patterns I can still lose, but it slows to a barely-there crawl.

I do not carry my scale or other such things with me - if I must estimate, I do, and my phone as the app where I can enter food as I eat it. Doing all the weighing and measuring at home helps me gain a pretty solid understanding of how much I'm actually eating.

If I take a break from measuring/weighing things, my numbers can start to get a bit out of whack over time though, so it's best for me to keep doing it, but I do take breaks from it, too.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

I don’t own a food scale. I’ve lost successfully by eyeballing portions and sometimes using measuring cups/spoons. I do log daily.

I have nothing against a food scale, and would have bought one if I ran into a problem. I’ve lost 43 pounds since the beginning of the year, I’m at a healthy weight/BMI and have been maintaining since the beginning of October.

Different things work for different people.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

I weigh all the food I prepare at home. When eating out I estimate.

I don't log on vacations or holidays.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

I weigh my food at home. I don't bring it to restaurants or friends' houses. I estimate my calories for restaurants. I definitely do not log on vacation.

The same here, except that I don't estimate restaurant food and I don't log on vacation either. In my book it would be very rude to bring a food scale to a restaurant or to somebody's house.

Edited to add that: I didn't use a food scale while I was losing, and I was successful even when I had less than 12lbs to lose. I got the scale to keep better tags and control of my macros, but since I have been in maintenance for almost 9 years, I am not longer very accurate or hardcore with the weighting and logging.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    I do think the strategy of photographing the food on the plate is a good idea for those who have trouble remembering the detail afterward or estimating the portion sizes afterward

Ive never done it but it sounds a really helpful tip.

and at weddings, baby showers,birthday parties, restaraunt outings, just about every event these days, people photograph each other, the cake ,the venue etc - photographing the food could easily be done while taking other photos without looking awkward or weird.

You don't even have to hide the fact that you are taking a picture of your food. I have friends on Facebook that not only take pictures but post many, many meals for all to see. When I see them I am often trying to work out the calories LOL!

I think that taking pictures of the food at a restaurant, unless you are a reporter for a culinary magazine, is tacky. And taking pictures at somebody's house is not good table manners and borderline disrespectful in my book. If somebody has trouble remembering pencil and paper will do the trick.

But that is me, and you can Woo me all you want.

Well I wouldn't be wooing you ( not getting the 'dare you to woo me' attitude though) - but I disagree.

Restaraunts are public places, no reason you cannot photograph the food.
    And at any event where photographing in general is ok and the done thing ( which is just about everywhere) nobody will notice that you photographed each other, a selfie, whatever, and then one of your meal.

I don't see it as tacky or disrespectful and, like Ann said, easy enough to do in subtle manner.

But obviously is just a helpful tip - nobody has to do it if they feel uncomfortable with it.

If the restaurant doesn't mind, I think it's fine. But technically, a restaurant is not a public place; it's a private business, and some of them do have policies against taking photos of their food (I've only seen this in fairly recent years, so I assume it's some kind of reaction to negative social media posts).
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options

As others have said, I weigh almost everything I eat at home (unlike some other MFPers, I don't generally weigh things packaged as single servings when I'm eating the whole package -- e.g., a frozen "TV dinner"-type meal, a granola bar or a 1 oz. bag of chips/crisps, and I never found that to be a problem with my results), but I don't take my scale with me to restaurants, other people's homes, on vacation, etc. I still log. Weighing at home has given me confidence in estimating when I'm away from home.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    For everyone who logs: do you all use food scales to weigh every bite of food?

Not sure how specific you mean to be here. I don't weigh prepackaged things like some do (sliced bread/buns/wraps, eggs, yogurt cups, bars, etc) or very low-cal things like lettuce & greens or mustard because it's never affected my ability to lose at my chosen rate. But I generally weigh the different parts of my meal, and weigh when cooking so I have an accurate portion size/calorie count. If I don't finish something, I'll usually just log the whole thing and consider it a bonus. I don't generally log when I pinch a chip or something off of one of my kids' plates, or taste while cooking, but again, if weight loss slows, I know where the problem is.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options

I log everything that has a calorie but I don't weigh everything, I estimate almost everything. I'm working with a trainer who's ok with that as long as I'm losing as planned. I do pull out the scale for things I tend to overeat on like cashews and from time to time just to recalabrate my eyes. I'm losing as planned so I'll keep this up until/if it stops working.

I've lost 22lbs since the end of September so I'm right on schedule for my 2lbs a week so far.

Having said this I know that perhaps I'm over on some things and under on something things. I know that I may slow down or not lose one week as much because I was underestimating.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I weigh everything at home on a digital food scale. When at a restaurant or someone's home--no. I also don't weigh or log during the summer when I'm at the beach house. We eat out frequently there and since I usually gain weight, I bought a accurate body scale and was very careful this year. I didn't gain. I consider the summer my "diet break". Estimating (eyeballing) is always tricky. If I don't have to do it much, I'm OK.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    I do think the strategy of photographing the food on the plate is a good idea for those who have trouble remembering the detail afterward or estimating the portion sizes afterward

Ive never done it but it sounds a really helpful tip.

and at weddings, baby showers,birthday parties, restaraunt outings, just about every event these days, people photograph each other, the cake ,the venue etc - photographing the food could easily be done while taking other photos without looking awkward or weird.

You don't even have to hide the fact that you are taking a picture of your food. I have friends on Facebook that not only take pictures but post many, many meals for all to see. When I see them I am often trying to work out the calories LOL!

I think that taking pictures of the food at a restaurant, unless you are a reporter for a culinary magazine, is tacky. And taking pictures at somebody's house is not good table manners and borderline disrespectful in my book. If somebody has trouble remembering pencil and paper will do the trick.

But that is me, and you can Woo me all you want.

Well I wouldn't be wooing you ( not getting the 'dare you to woo me' attitude though) - but I disagree.

Restaraunts are public places, no reason you cannot photograph the food.
    And at any event where photographing in general is ok and the done thing ( which is just about everywhere) nobody will notice that you photographed each other, a selfie, whatever, and then one of your meal.

I don't see it as tacky or disrespectful and, like Ann said, easy enough to do in subtle manner.

But obviously is just a helpful tip - nobody has to do it if they feel uncomfortable with it.

If the restaurant doesn't mind, I think it's fine. But technically, a restaurant is not a public place; it's a private business, and some of them do have policies against taking photos of their food (I've only seen this in fairly recent years, so I assume it's some kind of reaction to negative social media posts).

Well, if a restaraunt has such a policy and it was clearly stated - sure, best not to do it there.

Have not come across this myself.
  • Xanifur
    Xanifur Posts: 44 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I typically eat a lot of the same foods through the week, then change it up every few. Always the same measurements on the scale. Takes no time at all. Weigh item 1 TARE, item 2, TARE etc. Using the app its easy to multi-add items. I don't find it bothersome and when you get used to it, it goes quickly. Prepping meals in advance also helps.
  • oimullett
    oimullett Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    So far (40 something days) it's only a pain when it comes to new home-made recipes, which I've also realised I don't make enough of. But then once it's logged once it's easy to re-log so it's all good really.