Anybody else get tired of counting calories?

Options

Replies

• xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    oat_bran wrote: »
    Yeah, it's really exhausting sometimes to be honest. I feel like I can never relax. Like, I can't just grab an apple without thinking and eat it when I'm hungry. I should take out my scale, weight it, make sure it fits into my goal, then log the number before I forget. It sort of takes the enjoyment out of eating the apple. Any event that has food in it, makes me a little nervous and needs to be prepared for in advance. How will I know the calories of food that I will be eating? Should I try to look for the info in advance? should I estimate? How will I work it into my goal? should I readjust all of my other meals that day or the next day to bee able to "afford" it. Sometimes it's easier to pass on the invitation than to worry about all that. And sometimes when I'm eating out with friends or I'm at a party the calories are always on the back of my mind. Like, before grabbing a handful of popcorn or dip a carrot into the hummus, I have to estimate the calories and decide if it fits into my goal and make a mental note to log it as soon as I can instead of focusing on the conversation I'm having. Eating out, being invited over for dinner, parties, holidays, spending time over at a friend's place, when you have to cook for yourself and someone else at the same time, going to vacation... everything is associated with slight anxiety around calories and is less enjoyable due to having to log.

Cooking, instead of being therapeutic and relaxing is now less enjoyable as well, and takes so much more time. Because I have to make sure to weigh every single ingredient before adding it, log everything, then divide into equal portions, all while making sure that the calories and macros per serving fit your goal.

I really don't understand how people here take "only a fe minutes to log". Most of my meals are made from scratch and contain many ingredients. So I have to weigh every one of them every time I cook and log it while I'm cooking or preparing my meal to eat later. Which takes quite a lot of time in my opinion. If I include the time I spend on grocery planning to fit my goals, meal planning, weighing separately the ingredients for my every meal (3-5times a day), or looking for the closest estimates when I don't know the exact calories, logging it, making sure it fits my goal etc. it takes much more time than "a few minutes" and much more energy and headspace than I want to spend on t.

I will definitely not be able (or willing) to spend my entire life doing that. I can only hope that someday after losing enough weight and logging at maintenance I can learn to eat intuitively. I mean 80% of the people around me are at a healthy weight and don't count calories, they can rely on their hunger cues to know how much they should eat. So I hope I can learn to do that too...

I really agree with this 100%. With me, I have PCOS and I didn’t have much luck with relosing the 15 lbs that I had gained until I started logging my food. Now that I more aware of portions and I’m sticking to a range of calories 1200-1800 I’m becoming more loose with my calories. If I’m more active I eat 1800 and if I’m less active I eat 12-1400. Seems pretty simple right? Plus I’m exercising 6 times a week (strength training and cardio) and I’ve bumped up my steps to 10000 per day. Honestly once I reach my goal weight of 129lbs I’m gonna stop counting my calories by weighing them and instead focus on eating whole foods, balanced macros, veggies, protein etc and some treats.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    yes I hate it. I haven't logged my food since July or so. I'm not trying to lose weight though. All the people saying it only takes 5 minutes of their day and it's so easy, I don't understand that. Everytime I cook something new I have to write down each ingredient and weigh it, and enter everything in a recipe builder, and remember to weigh the stupid pot before I make the thing so I can subtract that off the final weight etc. When I make dinner I have to carefully weigh each side dish I put on my plate one at a time instead of just plopping stuff on my plate like everybody else does. Logging food is so easy but only until dinner time. Sometimes I want to get back into counting my calories and lose another 5-10 lbs and lose this belly fat hopefully but ugh, counting calories is such a drag for me.

One reason I liked that consistency vs. accuracy thread is that it talked about how even lazy logging can be sufficient.

I am someone for whom it takes about 5-10 minutes a day, since at times I am a lazy logger.

When cooking is when I find it least difficult, since I weigh things as a chop and it adds no time to the process. Yes, if I then make 5 servings or some such I could measure to see total for the dish and then weigh my amount, but I don't. I estimate that I eat .2 or 1/3 or whatever it is and then divide the ingredient amounts by that. The only exception is if I make meat on the bone and I'm at home and it's not some fancy dinner party I will likely pull off chicken or even cut meat off the bone to weight while serving up (and then use an entry for cooked meat).

I almost never bother with the recipe builder unless it's a baked good (which is something I rarely eat).
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    yes I hate it. I haven't logged my food since July or so. I'm not trying to lose weight though. All the people saying it only takes 5 minutes of their day and it's so easy, I don't understand that. Everytime I cook something new I have to write down each ingredient and weigh it, and enter everything in a recipe builder, and remember to weigh the stupid pot before I make the thing so I can subtract that off the final weight etc. When I make dinner I have to carefully weigh each side dish I put on my plate one at a time instead of just plopping stuff on my plate like everybody else does. Logging food is so easy but only until dinner time. Sometimes I want to get back into counting my calories and lose another 5-10 lbs and lose this belly fat hopefully but ugh, counting calories is such a drag for me.

I find these comments about cooking so odd. I'm really lazy and have never had an issue using the recipe builder, or saving meals, and tweaking the weights the next time I have it. The most time-consuming part of that for me is finding the dumb recipe in my database (which is full), because MFP doesn't have a search function for it. I don't fuss over lower-calorie ingredients like onions, mushrooms, or celery but eyeball those by cups. As to the couple of specific issues you mention, I keep a list of the weights of all of my pots, pans, & baking dishes on the fridge and keep a calculator nearby. I plop stuff on my plate the same as everyone else, but my plate is on the food scale and I tare it in between items.

We can agree to disagree I suppose. I find it to be tedious especially when I'm eating something like tacos where I have to look up each individual thing. I also think the database is a huge mess and I really wish MFP would clean it up and stop allowing random people to just add any old thing they feel like.

Granted, I have my tacos in salad form in a big bowl now (partly because I want more toppings than the little shells allow, partly because they're messy). ;)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,266 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Nope - been doing this for 4 years now. Takes 5-10 mins/day and keeps me maintaining possibly the most critically important health indicator.

I'd rather do that than not track and fail.

You're looking for something easier than 10 mins/day?

Its not 10 mins a day because i dont eat the same things every day. I dont plan out my meals, I eat when im hungry.

This is not a criticism at all, but just something to think about. I also never used to plan what I was going to eat or when. But when I realized I had gained 20 lbs and I started logging, I realized logging was easier when I did do some meal planning. So I started doing it, at least sometimes. And now, I honestly think it's the mindfully planning ahead that is really helping me maintain, probably more so than actually logging it. I had to get to a place in my life and in my head where prioritizing how I was fueling my body was worth that time. I tend to take 10-15 minutes on the weekend to think about what I want to be eating this week and making up my shopping list. And I prep my lunches, plus basics for other meals like a big pot of rice, or roasting veggies, or baking a pan of chicken thighs (on good weeks at least :smiley: . I will still go off plan if I feel like it, but not too often.

In my experience, when you leave things to chance, they have a better chance of going badly and tend to require more work to get right than if you had just planned for it in the first place.

Everyone's thought process is different, so just because this was necessary for me doesn't mean it is for you. It just seemed relevant, at least for me.

Yup, everyone is different. I'm a happy logger, but almost never meal plan. I do tend to eat similar breakfasts/lunches from day to day, but that's been true forever: I'm kinda comatose until the day's been rolling for many hours, so routine and simplicity in the first 6 hours or so are just my jam. Dinner pretty much always starts with looking in the fridge and thinking "hmmm . . . what sounds good?". Sometimes lunch does, too.

Meal planning and happy weighing/logging of food aren't joined at the hip, IMO.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I do get tired of it and take a break from it sometimes, but even when I'm not logging, I still catch myself weighing out serving most of the time, habit I guess. I end up eating most of the same things either way, so I probably end up eating the same amount of calories.
    I tend to stick with a lot of the same food for a little while and then get tired of some things and change it up for a while. Changing things up a bit always makes me want to go back to logging for a while since I'm not as familiar with the calorie counts and how much a serving weighs.
    Do what works for you bc it all comes down to a calorie deficit, and how you create that deficit is up to you.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Nope - been doing this for 4 years now. Takes 5-10 mins/day and keeps me maintaining possibly the most critically important health indicator.

Its not 10 mins a day because i dont eat the same things every day. I dont plan out my meals, I eat when im hungry.

This is not a criticism at all, but just something to think about. I also never used to plan what I was going to eat or when. But when I realized I had gained 20 lbs and I started logging, I realized logging was easier when I did do some meal planning. So I started doing it, at least sometimes. And now, I honestly think it's the mindfully planning ahead that is really helping me maintain, probably more so than actually logging it. I had to get to a place in my life and in my head where prioritizing how I was fueling my body was worth that time. I tend to take 10-15 minutes on the weekend to think about what I want to be eating this week and making up my shopping list. And I prep my lunches, plus basics for other meals like a big pot of rice, or roasting veggies, or baking a pan of chicken thighs (on good weeks at least :smiley: . I will still go off plan if I feel like it, but not too often.

In my experience, when you leave things to chance, they have a better chance of going badly and tend to require more work to get right than if you had just planned for it in the first place.

Everyone's thought process is different, so just because this was necessary for me doesn't mean it is for you. It just seemed relevant, at least for me.

This is a good point. I've always combined logging with meal planning. This has multiple good impacts for me -- I'm making fewer spur-of-the-moment food decisions (not a problem for some people, but I tend to choose higher calorie stuff when I'm deciding at the last minute what to eat), I'm able to complete my shopping and ensure I have everything I need for meals that meet my goals, I can pre-prep meals to make busy days easier, and I can pre-log so I can make adjustments if I see I've planned a day that will leave me feel unsatisfied.

If I was just logging and not doing any sort of planning, I don't think I'd have been as successful.

and meal plannign saves me money because i don't wander down to the cafeteria at work for a bagel or qdoba - i eat what i had planned for the day
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

This is a good point. I've always combined logging with meal planning. This has multiple good impacts for me -- I'm making fewer spur-of-the-moment food decisions (not a problem for some people, but I tend to choose higher calorie stuff when I'm deciding at the last minute what to eat), I'm able to complete my shopping and ensure I have everything I need for meals that meet my goals, I can pre-prep meals to make busy days easier, and I can pre-log so I can make adjustments if I see I've planned a day that will leave me feel unsatisfied.

If I was just logging and not doing any sort of planning, I don't think I'd have been as successful.

and meal plannign saves me money because i don't wander down to the cafeteria at work for a bagel or qdoba - i eat what i had planned for the day

Yeah, I can't even imagine how much money I'd be spending if I was buying my lunch at work each day . . .