Anybody else get tired of counting calories?

Options

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Nope - been doing this for 4 years now. Takes 5-10 mins/day and keeps me maintaining possibly the most critically important health indicator.

I'd rather do that than not track and fail.

You're looking for something easier than 10 mins/day?

Its not 10 mins a day because i dont eat the same things every day. I dont plan out my meals, I eat when im hungry.

This is not a criticism at all, but just something to think about. I also never used to plan what I was going to eat or when. But when I realized I had gained 20 lbs and I started logging, I realized logging was easier when I did do some meal planning. So I started doing it, at least sometimes. And now, I honestly think it's the mindfully planning ahead that is really helping me maintain, probably more so than actually logging it. I had to get to a place in my life and in my head where prioritizing how I was fueling my body was worth that time. I tend to take 10-15 minutes on the weekend to think about what I want to be eating this week and making up my shopping list. And I prep my lunches, plus basics for other meals like a big pot of rice, or roasting veggies, or baking a pan of chicken thighs (on good weeks at least :smiley: . I will still go off plan if I feel like it, but not too often.

In my experience, when you leave things to chance, they have a better chance of going badly and tend to require more work to get right than if you had just planned for it in the first place.

Everyone's thought process is different, so just because this was necessary for me doesn't mean it is for you. It just seemed relevant, at least for me.

This is a good point. I've always combined logging with meal planning. This has multiple good impacts for me -- I'm making fewer spur-of-the-moment food decisions (not a problem for some people, but I tend to choose higher calorie stuff when I'm deciding at the last minute what to eat), I'm able to complete my shopping and ensure I have everything I need for meals that meet my goals, I can pre-prep meals to make busy days easier, and I can pre-log so I can make adjustments if I see I've planned a day that will leave me feel unsatisfied.

If I was just logging and not doing any sort of planning, I don't think I'd have been as successful.

and meal plannign saves me money because i don't wander down to the cafeteria at work for a bagel or qdoba - i eat what i had planned for the day

Yeah, I can't even imagine how much money I'd be spending if I was buying my lunch at work each day . . .

i was in the bad habit of stopping at a grocery store in the am and buying stuff to eat through-out...easily 10-15 dollars a day
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Accidental duplicate.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    amy19355 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Nope - been doing this for 4 years now. Takes 5-10 mins/day and keeps me maintaining possibly the most critically important health indicator.

I'd rather do that than not track and fail.

You're looking for something easier than 10 mins/day?

Its not 10 mins a day because i dont eat the same things every day. I dont plan out my meals, I eat when im hungry.

This is not a criticism at all, but just something to think about. I also never used to plan what I was going to eat or when. But when I realized I had gained 20 lbs and I started logging, I realized logging was easier when I did do some meal planning. So I started doing it, at least sometimes. And now, I honestly think it's the mindfully planning ahead that is really helping me maintain, probably more so than actually logging it. I had to get to a place in my life and in my head where prioritizing how I was fueling my body was worth that time. I tend to take 10-15 minutes on the weekend to think about what I want to be eating this week and making up my shopping list. And I prep my lunches, plus basics for other meals like a big pot of rice, or roasting veggies, or baking a pan of chicken thighs (on good weeks at least :smiley: . I will still go off plan if I feel like it, but not too often.

In my experience, when you leave things to chance, they have a better chance of going badly and tend to require more work to get right than if you had just planned for it in the first place.

Everyone's thought process is different, so just because this was necessary for me doesn't mean it is for you. It just seemed relevant, at least for me.

This is a good point. I've always combined logging with meal planning. This has multiple good impacts for me -- I'm making fewer spur-of-the-moment food decisions (not a problem for some people, but I tend to choose higher calorie stuff when I'm deciding at the last minute what to eat), I'm able to complete my shopping and ensure I have everything I need for meals that meet my goals, I can pre-prep meals to make busy days easier, and I can pre-log so I can make adjustments if I see I've planned a day that will leave me feel unsatisfied.

If I was just logging and not doing any sort of planning, I don't think I'd have been as successful.

and meal plannign saves me money because i don't wander down to the cafeteria at work for a bagel or qdoba - i eat what i had planned for the day

Yeah, I can't even imagine how much money I'd be spending if I was buying my lunch at work each day . . .

I use a money tracker called MINT< and I can compare the two months before food logging with the two months since, and there is not one fast food transaction to be found now. Where before, I was at McD or Wendy's almost every single day of the week, and sometimes twice. And, at the beer-n-burger joint for dinner 3 x a week.

Every time I freeze a meal of rice, beans and meat that cost me about $1.35 to make, I have a little self-righteous 'yah me' moment.

;-)

Oh, I'm still buying beer! :D

Seriously, it's an amazing money saver.

• yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Yes I do, but when I stop counting calories I can quickly eat to many extra calories which leads to weight gain quickly for me or a stall in losing weight, which I'm still in the process of getting to goal. And truthfully for me it will be a life long process unless I really learn what a true serving size looks like or learn intuitive eating as others mentioned.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Getting tired of logging everything I eat...there has to be an easier way!

Yup. But, take a lesson from me. I have been bouncing around this weight(160lbs) for 5ish years. I got down to 145lbs at one point. Then back up. 175-180lbs is always my highest, this is my easy, lazy tracking, if I would stick to it regularly I would be able to maintain at the 145lbs and be where I might want to stay.
  • cartersmom06
    cartersmom06 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Getting tired of logging everything I eat...there has to be an easier way!

Yup. But, take a lesson from me. I have been bouncing around this weight(160lbs) for 5ish years. I got down to 145lbs at one point. Then back up. 175-180lbs is always my highest, this is my easy, lazy tracking, if I would stick to it regularly I would be able to maintain at the 145lbs and be where I might want to stay.

I do exactly the same thing!