Sleep or exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I tend to work out at night, and when I work out, it spikes my adrenaline so I have a hard time sleeping. So for me, workout almost always = less sleep. But honestly I feel much better working out and sleeping less than I do when I sleep more and don't work out.
  • ptjournal
    ptjournal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Listen to the book ‘Why we sleep’ by Matthew Walker. I got it off audible.com

One of the top 5 books I have ever read in my life. It tells you everything and more you’d ever want to know about sleep.
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Usually exercise. I work long lab hours and have insomnia so I usually go to the gym around midnight/1am and get to bed by 3-4am. Sleep quality is better that way anyway. Sometimes if I have time (not often) I’ll nap for 2hrs before the gym and go then - I can’t sleep more than 4-5 hrs in a row normally, so splitting it up helps. If I can’t get to the gym I try to wake at 5 to get something in the day after I skipped. Can’t believe there are people out there who actually get 8hrs of sleep, have a job, and maintain a workout routine.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Sleep. Sleep is a biological need, and there will be negative consequences even after a day. Driving when sleepo deprived for example or being drowsy at work are not acceptable. Exercise might be important, but nothing really bad can happen from skipping it for a few days.
    About a month or so I miss soem workouts, because of other obligations, like working late, kids having extra practice or being ill etc. I would not sacrifice sleep to fit in the workouts I am going to miss.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    mortuseon_ wrote: »
    Usually exercise. I work long lab hours and have insomnia so I usually go to the gym around midnight/1am and get to bed by 3-4am. Sleep quality is better that way anyway. Sometimes if I have time (not often) I’ll nap for 2hrs before the gym and go then - I can’t sleep more than 4-5 hrs in a row normally, so splitting it up helps. If I can’t get to the gym I try to wake at 5 to get something in the day after I skipped. Can’t believe there are people out there who actually get 8hrs of sleep, have a job, and maintain a workout routine.

I work full time, on average 50 hours per week including commute, plus the occasional work from home some late evenings, I have school aged kids with very busy schedules of their own, I am trying to complete some online courses this year and I exercise on average 5 hours per week. I sleep between 7-9 hours. The key is planning.
  • mortuseon_
    Options
    LKArgh wrote: »

I work full time, on average 50 hours per week including commute, plus the occasional work from home some late evenings, I have school aged kids with very busy schedules of their own, I am trying to complete some online courses this year and I exercise on average 5 hours per week. I sleep between 7-9 hours. The key is planning.

I have a hard time imagining how that would fit with a lot of lifestyles, even with planning. I leave for work at 0740, leave work at 1900, home by 2000, 1 hour for dinner, 1-2hrs to do some additional work (data analysis etc), then 1-2hrs downtime (chores and such, play with cat)...then it’s gym by midnight, home and into bed by 3am. I could conceivably go RIGHT after work, I suppose, but I am on my feet all day and usually exhausted after my commute home. Just don’t see where the additional time comes from. I don’t even have time for a lunch break on many days of the week...
  • ClaireEZ2
    ClaireEZ2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time imagining how that would fit with a lot of lifestyles, even with planning. I leave for work at 0740, leave work at 1900, home by 2000, 1 hour for dinner, 1-2hrs to do some additional work (data analysis etc), then 1-2hrs downtime (chores and such, play with cat)...then it’s gym by midnight, home and into bed by 3am. I could conceivably go RIGHT after work, I suppose, but I am on my feet all day and usually exhausted after my commute home. Just don’t see where the additional time comes from. I don’t even have time for a lunch break on many days of the week...

Most people's lifestyles don't include a 10-11 hour work day without even a lunch break, which is what you are describing if your work day starts at 9 am, you leave at 7 pm, and then add in another hour or two at home for data analysis. That's just too much work, which might warrant considering: how you work; corporate culture; and/or industry culture.

• mortuseon_
    edited November 2018
    Options
    kamaclaire wrote: »

Most people's lifestyles don't include a 10-11 hour work day without even a lunch break, which is what you are describing if your work day starts at 9 am, you leave at 7 pm, and then add in another hour or two at home for data analysis. That's just too much work, which might warrant considering: how you work; corporate culture; and/or industry culture.

I work in academia and it's really not uncommon. It's frankly necessary, I can't even get everything done in that timeframe. Stuff just takes time. Friends in banking have similar lifestyles, and it was the same back when I was waitressing. Just saying that it's a privilege to not have to work hours like that, and it's more common than you think! eta: I think the crux of it is that it's too easy for people to say 'just plan more!' or 'just prioritise it!' to people re: working out, meal prepping etc. Like it's always a problem with 'wanting it hard enough'. At some point you have to sacrifice work or sleep. I'm willing to sacrifice the sleep, but that's not feasible for a lot of folks. Food for thought...
  • ClaireEZ2
    ClaireEZ2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes, I know many people work long hours, but it's important to keep in mind that working 10-12 hours a day is actually pretty uncommon. Americans have an unhealthy obsession with the work ethic, especially in light of all the research that demonstrates it's actually extremely unhealthy to consistently work that many hours.