Survey: Which connected fitness gear do you use:

Options
13»

Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Garmin fenix 5X love it. Rugged. The jewelry that tries to be active gear like the Apple Watch wouldn't last long on my wrist.
    Note the scratches in the metal case.
    On the Apple, it is a glass dome that would have shattered already.
    ccso1jbjkg82.jpg

• tecat810
    tecat810 Posts: 4,514 Member
    Options
    Garmin forerunner 35. Love it.
  • HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Atlas Wearables 2 and Atlas Shape ❤
  • caindove11
    caindove11 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Apple Watch 4
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Was Fitbit Zip for covering daily activity levels, worked great for desire.
    Now Garmin Vivofit 3, same functions basically used (not much but daily).
    And Garmin FR 310XT for workouts, had for years, got a backup ready to go actually on sale.
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    My Garmin Fenix 5 is my primary fitness device. Does my Edge 520 bike computer count ?
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Not really useful for the OP's goals, but a Garmin 920XT.
    Why? - I wanted customizable fields per activity, course upload with turn cues, programmable training intervals, decent battery life (at least 2 days of tracking mountaineering between charges). Bonus features: running dynamics (I can check on my cadence and whether I'm favoring a leg and/or bouncing too much)-although, I only wear the HR/dynamics monitor occasionally on runs to get an updated estimated of VO2max (or if I think I'm doing something off in my gait/my knee starts tweaking and I want to check the dynamics data).

FYI- the Fenix came out *after* I bought this (totally would have sprung for that for the basemap capability and extra activities and outdoor features).

Usefulness for gym: customized fields - can have the time of day in larger field, along with elapsed time, and lap time (to measure rest periods).

What I wish it had: basemap capability (for when I opt to go off route on the fly in an area I'm not as familiar with), ability to show map/next cue along with 1-2 data fields (like on the Edge line), ability to see the Elevation profile on the map screen as I'm following a pre-programmed course (like on the Edge). If I was rich, I would splurge and get both an Edge and a Fenix.

It does have step counting, and sleep monitoring (in the sense that it logs whether or not there is movement, and is viewable on graph - not sure what people want when they ask for a device that "monitors sleep")..slept in it once out of curiosity.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Not really useful for the OP's goals, but a Garmin 920XT.
    Why? - I wanted customizable fields per activity, course upload with turn cues, programmable training intervals, decent battery life (at least 2 days of tracking mountaineering between charges). Bonus features: running dynamics (I can check on my cadence and whether I'm favoring a leg and/or bouncing too much)-although, I only wear the HR/dynamics monitor occasionally on runs to get an updated estimated of VO2max (or if I think I'm doing something off in my gait/my knee starts tweaking and I want to check the dynamics data).

FYI- the Fenix came out *after* I bought this (totally would have sprung for that for the basemap capability and extra activities and outdoor features).

Usefulness for gym: customized fields - can have the time of day in larger field, along with elapsed time, and lap time (to measure rest periods).

What I wish it had: basemap capability (for when I opt to go off route on the fly in an area I'm not as familiar with), ability to show map/next cue along with 1-2 data fields (like on the Edge line), ability to see the Elevation profile on the map screen as I'm following a pre-programmed course (like on the Edge). If I was rich, I would splurge and get both an Edge and a Fenix.

It does have step counting, and sleep monitoring (in the sense that it logs whether or not there is movement, and is viewable on graph - not sure what people want when they ask for a device that "monitors sleep")..slept in it once out of curiosity.

ETA: Garmin is fairly ubiquitous in the sports world...just about every website that does analysis on tracked data can be setup to auto pull your activities from Garmin's server without you doing anything. Strava, Endomondo, etc get my data almost instantaneously after I end an activity (as long as my phone is on and not in Airplane mode or out of service area).