Why am I SO much worse on the road than the treadmill?

Options
amyglover57
amyglover57 Posts: 9 Member
edited November 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey, so long story short, I work out (part of that is treadmill work) and I'm doing a couch to 5k. I can easily jog at 8.5km/h on the treadmill on a slope of 3 for 20mins straight (more experienced runners, this mightn't even count as a jog? Does it? Help I know nothing). I sweat but my breath is fine. However on the road, 3 minutes absolutely kills me. I go about the same pace as on the treadmill. My lungs feel like they're going to burst. Next week I'm supposed to run 5 minutes and I seriously doubt I can. The track I run is quite bumpy and slightly uphill, but still. Anyone who can actually run know what might be going on here?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Running outside isn't the same as on a treadmill... just run a bit slower or drop back a week on C25K
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    It's just harder on the road. There's a bit of push-off that you don't get on the treadmill. Some people set the treadmill with a small incline to adjust for this, but you can also just adjust your pace a tiny bit. One other thing to be aware of is that the speed/distance of the treadmill may not be accurate. Don't be too hard on yourself.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    It's always different running on the road vs the treadmill. Just slow down a bit when you're outside, don't worry about keeping a certain pace. And you can always repeat a week of C25K if needed.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    That's very common. The road has more natural hills, and also responds to your feet and body differently -- and vice versa. A lot of people find outside running to be more challenging than on a treadmill.

Try slowing down a little bit and see if that helps. The speed will come the longer you're running both inside and outside.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,693 Member
    Options
    Slow down your outdoor runs. You'll get faster as you get more used to it. It is also possible that your TM is not calibrated correctly, so it is showing you running faster than you actually are. I suggest you lower the incline to 1 or 1.5. Running consistently uphill at 3 is likely to stress the knees too much. One is a more natural feel. Best is to vary the incline, but not while you're still doing short intervals.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I never use an incline on the treadmill because it feels weird. I had a training breakthrough, many years ago, doing all my speedwork on the treadmill. (The gym had childcare.) Took about 17 minutes off my marthon PB/PR and set new best times in every distance.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    It's 2 totally different environments. Think of swimming in a pool vs swimming in the ocean. You have to deal with other elements and you can't just hit a switch and be change them.

2 tips
    1. slow down your pace. On a treadmill, it has control over how fast you are going and you don't have to monitor it. When your outside, your cadence might naturally be oscillating which is taking extra effort. Go a little slower.
    2. walk and run. Instead of a 5 minute run, run 2 minutes, walk 2 minutes, run 2 minutes, walk 2 minutes. Do this for 10 minutes total.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    To the other question: "jog" is a made up word that relates to boxing training. There it means running on the road.

Running vs walking is a real physical difference. Walking always has at least 1 foot on the ground. At some point in the process, running has no connection to the ground.

Re treadmill. I have the other problem. On the road I can pump out 7 minute pace. On a treadmill, I can barely break 10:00
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Hey, so long story short, I work out (part of that is treadmill work) and I'm doing a couch to 5k. I can easily jog at 8.5km/h on the treadmill on a slope of 3 for 20mins straight (more experienced runners, this mightn't even count as a jog? Does it? Help I know nothing). I sweat but my breath is fine. However on the road, 3 minutes absolutely kills me. I go about the same pace as on the treadmill. My lungs feel like they're going to burst. Next week I'm supposed to run 5 minutes and I seriously doubt I can. The track I run is quite bumpy and slightly uphill, but still. Anyone who can actually run know what might be going on here?

You just need to get used to the feel. Slow down a bit until you are used to outside. Nerves or excitement can shorten breath too.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I'm exact opposite...love road running and dread the treadmill. I use the treadmill when I'm traveling and every step is a challenge. Ironically, those challenging steps have made my road runs better.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Do you know how fast you are running outside? As a guess, you may be going faster without the controlled speed, and so you can't run as long. Do you have a tracker of any kind to see your speed/pace when not on the treadmill?
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Do you know how fast you are running outside? As a guess, you may be going faster without the controlled speed, and so you can't run as long. Do you have a tracker of any kind to see your speed/pace when not on the treadmill?

My Garmin Forerunner tells me my distance, my moving time, total time, average pace and heart rate. The Dreadmill tells me pace and distance. My comparison is based on perceived effort
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

My Garmin Forerunner tells me my distance, my moving time, total time, average pace and heart rate. The Dreadmill tells me pace and distance. My comparison is based on perceived effort

Was directed at the OP
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

Was directed at the OP

oops
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Treadmill offers some assistance, plus it absorbs some of the shock...