Why am I SO much worse on the road than the treadmill?

Options
2»

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    They're really almost two different things.
  • amyglover57
    amyglover57 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    OldAssDude wrote: »
    I don't like machines. I run outside all year round in just about any weather. My sister can run 3 miles on a treadmill, but cannot run a quarter mile on the ground. There is a big difference between just keeping up with a belt that is already moving, and pushing yourself along the ground. Not to mention hills, slight variations in the road, wind, and even the impact is different.

Not that big a difference. I have almost never managed more than 6 on a treadmill, and usually it's more like 3, but can run a half marathon. The treadmill is boring. It's not actually meaningfully easier -- in fact for speed training or hills (I live in a flat area) it's great, and I can get in good hill shape (based on later running where my dad lives, which is super hilly -- I also used the treadmill to practice hills before the Seattle Marathon a couple of years ago). And speed training is similar -- I find that some good speed intervals helps that speed feel more normal and I tend to speed up running outside after that.

Like I said, I vastly prefer running outside (I like being able to see stuff, even if it's cold and/or snowy), but I call foul on the claim that treadmill running isn't real exercise or so vastly different that someone could be able to run 3 on a treadmill and not outside (or only .25 miles outside).

What could happen is that people start stepping too hard on a treadmill and so are hurting themselves outside or something weird like that, but no way is it a lack of adequate conditioning.

That's what I mean! I know the two are different, but it shouldn't be THIS night and day for me. That's what's confusing
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I don't like machines. I run outside all year round in just about any weather. My sister can run 3 miles on a treadmill, but cannot run a quarter mile on the ground. There is a big difference between just keeping up with a belt that is already moving, and pushing yourself along the ground. Not to mention hills, slight variations in the road, wind, and even the impact is different.

Not that big a difference. I have almost never managed more than 6 on a treadmill, and usually it's more like 3, but can run a half marathon. The treadmill is boring. It's not actually meaningfully easier -- in fact for speed training or hills (I live in a flat area) it's great, and I can get in good hill shape (based on later running where my dad lives, which is super hilly -- I also used the treadmill to practice hills before the Seattle Marathon a couple of years ago). And speed training is similar -- I find that some good speed intervals helps that speed feel more normal and I tend to speed up running outside after that.

Like I said, I vastly prefer running outside (I like being able to see stuff, even if it's cold and/or snowy), but I call foul on the claim that treadmill running isn't real exercise or so vastly different that someone could be able to run 3 on a treadmill and not outside (or only .25 miles outside).

What could happen is that people start stepping too hard on a treadmill and so are hurting themselves outside or something weird like that, but no way is it a lack of adequate conditioning.

That's what I mean! I know the two are different, but it shouldn't be THIS night and day for me. That's what's confusing

It is what it is though. Even if it's in your head.

If you want to get better at running outside, run outside.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    One issue that might or might not be the case for you (it was the case for me) is that you're going faster than you think. Your pace on the road can be higher than your usual treadmill pace although you feel like you're running the same because you have not yet built a "feel" for it. Treadmill incline also gives a sense that you're going faster than you are, so this compounds it. Slow down and try to achieve the same rate of perceived exertion for now regardless of speed until it feels natural to you more often than not. After that, you can work on your pace and duration if you want.
  • amyglover57
    amyglover57 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    One issue that might or might not be the case for you (it was the case for me) is that you're going faster than you think. Your pace on the road can be higher than your usual treadmill pace although you feel like you're running the same because you have not yet built a "feel" for it. Treadmill incline also gives a sense that you're going faster than you are, so this compounds it. Slow down and try to achieve the same rate of perceived exertion for now regardless of speed until it feels natural to you more often than not. After that, you can work on your pace and duration if you want.

It was the pace for sure, took advice from here and today's run was so much easier 💓
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options

It is what it is though. Even if it's in your head.

If you want to get better at running outside, run outside.

The mechanics are even different on certain levels - where the resistance occurs and effort is placed are opposite as far as your hips and quads are concerned. With the treadmill, the "road" is whipped away from underneath you meaning you don't push off as hard, making the strain relatively more of a load on your hip flexors picking up the leg. On the road road, it's more balanced as you need to move your bodyweight in a more complete way. I'm not describing it very well, but stretching is more vital to my recovery if I'm doing a lot of treadmill miles compared to road or trail.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    UPDATE: thanks so much folks!! Did w4d1 today and changing the pace helped SO much! Pain in my legs for sure and sweating, but I can deal with that as I'm used to it from the treadmill. The breathing is sorted, which is the main issue, and I feel like I can continue happy now! Gahh I love this community ♥️

Yay! Good to hear.
  • lunnon1984
    lunnon1984 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    hey love, omg I found this too! Running outside for me is too much hard work! My lungs cant cope with the amount of air - you probably found this too if you are out of breath in 3 minutes!! Also my legs cant cope with hard surfaces and I get shin splints :neutral:
    I chose a treadmill all day long!
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I really don't think there is that huge of a physical difference between the two. I find a treadmill harder and requires a lot more focus because the pace is so rigid, and it's kind of boring. Several cycles ago, the woman who won the US Olympic marathon trials did most of her training on the treadmill because she lived in Anchorage or something. It all applies. Running outside is just more fun, especially if you have people to run with.

The woman was Chris Clark:
    http://alaskasportshall.org/inductee/chris-clarks-olympic-trial-victory/