Do You Follow MFP’s Calorie Limit?

Options
Hi All!

This seems like an “obvious” question, but I am wondering if any of you strictly follow MFP’s calorie limit or do you set your own? For example, my calorie limit says I should eat 1600 calories, but I tend to eat around 2,000 because 1600 just seems so low. Just curious if anyone else does this or if they strictly stay at what MFP suggests?? Thanks!! :)

Replies

• k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    frenchy807 wrote: »
    Hi All! This seems like an “obvious” question, but I am wondering if any of you strictly follow MFP’s calorie limit or do you set your own? For example, my calorie limit says I should eat 1600 calories, but I tend to eat around 2,000 because 1600 just seems so low. Just curious if anyone else does this or if they strictly stay at what MFP suggests?? Thanks!! :)

Myfitnesspal's daily goal calories for me is what I choose to never exceed, which is set at 2,400. I'm comfortable with cycling my caloric allotments depending on how my day's faring, between (</=) 1,366 to 1,821 to my absolute limit - (</=) 2,400.

ETA: 5ft 10, presently 150 lbs.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    My workouts are too varied, so I just go for the estimate MFP calculates. I do input a fudge factor for intensity and how I'm feeling and what I'm preparing for.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

This seems like an “obvious” question, but I am wondering if any of you strictly follow MFP’s calorie limit or do you set your own? For example, my calorie limit says I should eat 1600 calories, but I tend to eat around 2,000 because 1600 just seems so low. Just curious if anyone else does this or if they strictly stay at what MFP suggests?? Thanks!! :)

Do you exercise? The MFP goal does not include exercise, so it's expecting that you will log your exercise and eat back those calories as well.

I followed MFP + Exercise cals and it worked well for me. But all any calculator can do is give you an expected estimate based on the numbers you feed into it. You will not know how accurate it is until you hit that goal for a few weeks at least. :drinker:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Sort of.
    Used MFP's guided setup to suggest a calorie goal to lose 1lb / week but used that to create a weekly calorie target.

After a period of weeks my weight loss indicated I needed to take 1000 cals a week off that weekly total to attain my desired rate of loss so did that manually and it worked fine. Most likely my slightly relaxed style of logging was the issue rather than the goal being wrong.

By the way hope you realise that your given calorie goal is for a non exercise day only and on exercise days you should eat more. So your original goal was 1600 + exercise calories.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I used MFP's estimate (and added back in exercise calories) when losing most of my weight. I now use a TDEE number.

It is important to consider results and then adjust after a month or so if they are not as expected, as no estimate method is going to work for everyone.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I think if you are just starting out MFP recommended calorie goal is a good place to start. Check it with your results after a month or so and adjust if needed.

When I started with MFP about 4 years ago I followed the calorie recommendation and lost 1 lb a week until I had lost about 25 lbs. Based on my results the recommendation was good enough for me to achieve my desired result.
    Then my thyroid got messed up and I gained some weight back and struggled to lose. Even medicated it seems that now I do better eating at a different amount than MFP suggests. MFP suggests 1470 to lose 1 lb a week and I set my goal to 1300 which seems to get me the result I want.
    Some people set their activity level wrong or choose too extreme a goal for the amount they have to lose though which can make the calorie recommendation wrong for that person. I would not set yourself to lose 2 lbs a week unless you are 75+ lbs overweight. If you get 8,000-10,000 steps a day you are not sedentary.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    When I logged, I used MFPs target plus my exercise calories. When my exercise became more consistent, I just switched to TDEE which was roughly the same as MFP + exercise give or take.

I was initially losing weight faster than I wanted to I adjusted my activity level from sedentary to light active. Even though I have a desk job, I wasn't really sedentary...at the time I had a toddler and a new born and was on my feet most of the evening tending to them, playing, cooking, cleaning, fixing this or that, etc.
  • Odd_Equestrian
    Odd_Equestrian Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I do and I don't. Right now it tells me I should eat 1300 calories, but I always burn at least 200 so that i can have 1500 calories
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I don't follow much of anything anymore... except the see-food diet, I guess. But I digress...

Given that all these numbers are just estimates and approximations, and that I came to MFP looking for help and guidance... I followed MFP's suggests as closely as I could for several months. I then looked at my numbers over time, along with my progress (or lack there of), and was able to figure out what my actual calorie goal should be based on how I log/track/estimate.

So, to answer your question... yes and no.

ETA --
    The combination of MFP and my garmin watch has been very reliable for me. I know a lot of people squawk about inaccuracies and such, but it's been a very reliable tool for me.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I muck with it.

In general, I have my plan for exercise for the week and eat 2000 cals. But on days where I go over my plan, I eat more. But MFP would have me eating 1650 some days and 2300 other days. So, more TDEE but with adjustments for being off plan (usually from a run that I felt like going further with).
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

Yes and No.

Yes i follow the number MFP tells me to eat - ie I aim for the number it tells me which I have found successful for me.

However do i follow it strictly? - No, I am quite a lazy logger and i dont adhere to it strictly, I estimate and use law of averages a lot.
    Nevertheless the MFP number is my approximate aim, not any other number derived any other way

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Like a lot of others here, my answer is... Eh, ish.

Just starting out, I'd recommend you do. After you have some time and results under your belt, it's easier to judge how you might need to adjust.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    typically, i do. i have my garmin connected and it gives me the adjusted goal.
    i try to be within 15% of my calorie goal.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I recently increased mine as it seemed too low. I set now for 1.5lb loss per week instead of the 2 lbs. Where I do not follow well at all is around the exercise piece. I think the MFP is way over estimating this. So I eat back about 25% of the calories. I literally just changed for calories yesterday so need to see how this works. And I bank a few Monday through Friday for the weekend.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I find it a bit low for me so I add 100 calories and then eat all of my exercise calories (actual burns based on data, not estimates).
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    MFP says I should maintain my weight on 1600 calories a day... I maintained for over a year on about 1900 plus one day a week that I didn't log and I know I ate way more than 2000. So, no I do not.