Do You Follow MFP’s Calorie Limit?

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    No. It told me to eat 1200. I can't do that I am starving psycho mess on 1200. I eat at 1700 ish to lose weight and maintain quite happily around 1900-2000.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    No. It told me to eat 1200. I can't do that I am starving psycho mess on 1200. I eat at 1700 ish to lose weight and maintain quite happily around 1900-2000.

To be fair though, have you told it you wanted to lose at a less aggressive rate, it would have given you a much different number. So to some extent, you are not following it because you set it up to aggressively. Or is this another neat vs tdee situation?
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

To be fair though, have you told it you wanted to lose at a less aggressive rate, it would have given you a much different number. So to some extent, you are not following it because you set it up to aggressively. Or is this another neat vs tdee situation?

That was quite some time ago when I first started to diet. I think I set it to the aggressive option. I did stick to it for 2 months and was doing exercise classes at the gym, but then i derailed badly because was soooooooo starving and the 4 kilos I lost came back on with interest.

So I got a coach. Who told me to never eat less than 1500. And also would increase my calories every time I got starving. By the end I was on 2100 cals and pretty content with life.

• mds1207
    mds1207 Posts: 42 Member
    Because I eat the extra calories "earned" from exercise, I usually have 100 - 200 calories of my daily limit (1720 without exercise) "left on the table" (pun intended...LOL). Being newer at this, I do have a question that I'd appreciate some help with...I've lost 20 lbs so far using MFP (avg. 1.4 lb p/wk); so do I have to do anything to have the system recalculate my calories to continue my goal of 1 lb per week? Thanks in advance for your help. Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving!!!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    I started with the MFP calorie estimate, eating back all my (carefully estimated) exercise calories, and lost weight too fast (faster than my target rate in my profile, which was not an insane target for my weight at that point), and started feeling bad (weak, fatigued). So I ate more, and lost just fine anyway.

Based on experience, my maintenance calories are several hundred (20-30%) higher than MFP estimates; I don't know why. (Maybe I just don't behave like a proper 63-year-old li'l ol' lady? ;) ). But I eat based on my experience with my own data, not the MFP estimate.
  • sheloves89
    sheloves89 Posts: 88 Member
    I just came back to MFP at the end of September. I'm 5'6", female, and live a sedentary lifestyle. I started at 179 lbs and I'm down to 163 lbs as of this morning. I have it set to lose 2 lbs/week, so MFP has me at 1200/day. That's quite low, but I try to stick to it as much as possible, and it's definitely been working for me! The last couple of weeks I've been eating over, closer to 1300-1400/day, but as long as I'm still seeing progress, I'm happy with it. It's a good equilibrium for me, because I'm happy with a bit of leeway over the limit. Historically as soon as I went over I'd say "well to hell with it!" and eat whatever I wanted... which obviously isn't the best strategy. Now I'm happy letting myself go a little bit over. Flexibility is good. =)
  • patrickaa5
    patrickaa5 Posts: 70 Member
    I'm not sure how many calories MFP suggests. Early on I manually changed the calories to 1,600. How do I update that back to see what MFP suggests? I can't seem to get it to go back to the MFP suggestion.
  • MsBaz2018
    MsBaz2018 Posts: 384 Member
    edited November 2018
    mds1207 wrote: »
    Because I eat the extra calories "earned" from exercise, I usually have 100 - 200 calories of my daily limit (1720 without exercise) "left on the table" (pun intended...LOL). Being newer at this, I do have a question that I'd appreciate some help with...I've lost 20 lbs so far using MFP (avg. 1.4 lb p/wk); so do I have to do anything to have the system recalculate my calories to continue my goal of 1 lb per week? Thanks in advance for your help. Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

@mds2017 @patrickaa5

If you are using the Android app you click on Goals, chose the weekly goal and it will ask you whether you want to recalculate. If you are doing that put your current weight too as it will give you a calorie goal based on how much you currently weigh.

On PC go to Goals also and look for the link on that screen.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    I use it as a guide but I'm not strict about it. MFP way overestimates how much I'm burning with exercise, so I try not to eat my exercise calories back, but sometimes I do a little. I'm averaging a loss of 5-6 lbs a month, so whatever I'm doing it's working for me.
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    When I rejoined MFP this spring I went thru the process and the goal was 1600 calories for a 1 pound a week loss. I knew from personal experience that was too high and manually set it at 1500. Wasn't losing a pound a week. Talked to my doctor, he said I could easily do 1200 a day. I know I can do 1200 a day, I've done it before but I also know how I was and how difficult it was to maintain. I travel for work about 3 weeks a month, a diet that restrictive is more difficult than I'm willing to do. I reset my goal to 1400 and have been losing approximately a pound a week. Still feels slow like molasses but it's something I can maintain easily even when I'm on the road. Now if we could get restaurants to STOP using so much sodium in everything my life would be better.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    edited November 2018
    MFP gives me 1200 calories (I’m 5’, set to lose 1 lb a week) not including any calories I add back from exercise. I aim for somewhere between 1200-1300 unless it’s a run day and then I can add around 200ish to that number.

I’m actually losing closer to 1.5 lbs a week so I could eat more (I guess more than I already do because I’m almost always over 1200) than MFP says but I’m happy with being between 1200-1300. It’s not hard for me, I don’t feel deprived or hungry.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I use MFP's target. Some people use calculators to figure out their estimated TDEE and then just eat a steady amount each day which works too. I like using MFP target because I have my fitbit linked and it's just easy.