Hal Higdon 10k Training Program: Novice (Progress Thread)

Options

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I hope you find something that works for you. I have just recently started running again after decades of no running at all. I found a plan. I followed the plan. I achieved my first goal. Then, I found a plan for a longer run and began that. I run on the days my plan gives me - in the increments it requires, cross train on the days my plan says to do so, and rest one day a week. I do this because I want to run a long distance race in April with no injuries. If I push myself too hard too fast, I risk injury and not reaching my end goal. If I worried about my max heart rate, my pace, my cadence, running extra days, running longer distances etc., I would just get frustrated and stop. I sincerely hope you find a plan, stick with it without alterations for the entirety of the program, and see the success it brings to you.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I hope you find something that works for you. I have just recently started running again after decades of no running at all. I found a plan. I followed the plan. I achieved my first goal. Then, I found a plan for a longer run and began that. I run on the days my plan gives me - in the increments it requires, cross train on the days my plan says to do so, and rest one day a week. I do this because I want to run a long distance race in April with no injuries. If I push myself too hard too fast, I risk injury and not reaching my end goal. If I worried about my max heart rate, my pace, my cadence, running extra days, running longer distances etc., I would just get frustrated and stop. I sincerely hope you find a plan, stick with it without alterations for the entirety of the program, and see the success it brings to you.

Thanks. I'll do my best.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    OAD - I get it. I would have done the same thing. You started at a high level of fitness. Going backwards seems counter-productive. Since you're a walker, your muscles, bones and tendons are used to covering miles; the big difference with running is the impact stresses on them. You like to be challenged, and what you were doing wasn't enough of a challenge to really motivate you. I understand why you switched to a plan that would give you more of a challenge. I did an intermediate plan for my first marathon because the beginner plans were too easy and I didn't want to go backwards in my training. I also cared how well I ran, not just in dragging myself across the finish line.

That said, you need to be smart about it now. Don't do more than the plan calls for. If you are in pain, back off. If it feels too difficult, repeat a week or go back a week. Since you don't have a race in mind, there is no time limit to increasing your mileage, so you can do it safely. Listen to your body. As we get older, there are always aches and pains, but you'll need to pay attention to them so you can differentiate between tired from running 10 miles and in pain because of shin splints.

Also, you say you have no interest in racing but you might be surprised at how much fun it can be. Also, there aren't a lot of older racers, so in small races it is quite possible to bring home an age group award if you are a committed runner. I got first place in my AG in my first half marathon. Second in my first marathon. That adds to the fun.
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    OAD - I get it. I would have done the same thing. You started at a high level of fitness. Going backwards seems counter-productive. Since you're a walker, your muscles, bones and tendons are used to covering miles; the big difference with running is the impact stresses on them. You like to be challenged, and what you were doing wasn't enough of a challenge to really motivate you. I understand why you switched to a plan that would give you more of a challenge. I did an intermediate plan for my first marathon because the beginner plans were too easy and I didn't want to go backwards in my training. I also cared how well I ran, not just in dragging myself across the finish line.

That said, you need to be smart about it now. Don't do more than the plan calls for. If you are in pain, back off. If it feels too difficult, repeat a week or go back a week. Since you don't have a race in mind, there is no time limit to increasing your mileage, so you can do it safely. Listen to your body. As we get older, there are always aches and pains, but you'll need to pay attention to them so you can differentiate between tired from running 10 miles and in pain because of shin splints.

Also, you say you have no interest in racing but you might be surprised at how much fun it can be. Also, there aren't a lot of older racers, so in small races it is quite possible to bring home an age group award if you are a committed runner. I got first place in my AG in my first half marathon. Second in my first marathon. That adds to the fun.

Thank you, and you seem to understand my feelings toward this.

Yes, i plan on listening to my body, and the plan says there is nothing wrong with mixing walking and running on run days if i feel too beat up. I intend on doing that if needed as i get to the higher mileage days. On the other hand, on the short run days on Wednesday (only if i feel good enough), i may pick up the pace a little since they are short runs compared to the other days, and again, if i'm feeling too beat up, i can always do a cross session. That is a main reason i prefer the Wednesday to be optional.

I have no interest right now on doing any races as i am just doing this for my own personal fitness, but that's not to say i won't feel different as i progress.

If i do decide to do a race, i think i would like to pick a race that @dewd2 would be running in so i can meet him in person. After all, he is the one who got me motivated to follow a plan in the first place, and he's not all that far from me.

Thanks again.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Thanks @OldAssDude - I am working out my plans for next year now. Once I get my *kitten* together I'll know what my training will look like then I can fill in the down time with smaller races. Right now the fools I run with are trying to talk me into an ultra race next December. 100K sounds painful to me (and one did 100 miles :o ).

Aren't you pretty close to Philly?
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    OldAssDude wrote: »
    Ok.

I contacted Hal Higdon via Facebook Messenger.

Me...
    Hi Hal. I am currently doing your 10 mile Novice plan. I notice that on some of your other plans you give the option to do run or cross. Would it be ok to make Wednesday an optional run cross day instead of cross?

Thank you in advance.

A little about me. I'm 61 and can already run 5 miles at a slow pace. I am just doing this to improve my fitness, and have never competed in a race or anything. I have also never followed any sort of plan before. I have been averaging about 30 miles per week between running, power walking, and recovery walks. I normally train at much higher intensity than conversational, but understand that i should be doing most of my runs at a conversational pace and intend to do that following this plan.

Or maybe your Novice 1 Half Marathon plan would be better?

His reply...
    Yes, definitely follow a plan that will offer guidance to what you are doing. The half would be a good preliminary goal.

So i guess i will be doing the "Novice 1 Half Marathon plan". It is 3.1 miles more than the 10 mile plan, but over 12 weeks instead of 10. And it allows the optional "run or cross" on Wednesdays.

alrzyezwh4fa.png

I am going to start fresh tomorrow, and use the last 2 weeks as a learning experience for how to follow a plan. :)

I would like to thank you all for being so patient with me, and i probably should have done more research before committing to the original 10k plan. Please understand that this is new to me, and it's frustrating going from doing much higher intensity to much lower intensity workouts.

Plus... I'm old and stubborn. :)

Wow, i find that so disrespectful to the people on here who have spent time trying to actually help you.

I certainly do not mean any disrespect to people that are trying to help me, and i appreciate people trying to help me actually follow a plan in the first place.

This is also a very big commitment on my part too, and there is nothing wrong with doing some research and gathering information on something that i've never done before to pick the best plan for me.

I think what people might be responding to is the fact that you've seemed really dismissive throughout your posts. No one is saying that this is going to be easy, but also there have been a lot of people who have given you advice (that you've asked for) and then been dismissed - multiple times. Also I doubt that this is as big of a commitment as you're trying to communicate it as being. It's 12 weeks, free, zero stakes, etc. That doesn't mean it'll be easy, but "hard" doesn't equate to "very big commitment". If you were say, signed up for a half marathon that was non-refundable and expensive, then my thoughts would be a bit different - even then, the plan itself wouldn't be a commitment, the doing the half marathon would be.

Let me note - I don't think it's a bad thing to have contacted Hal Higdon (you probably should have done so earlier). I do, however, think that you have been dismissive throughout the thread.

And yes, I get that you haven't done a plan before. I have had my own difficulties following cycling plans and have completed a running plan as well (and I was starting running from a much more basic and fragile place than you were for some major physiological reasons). I finished the running plan, finished a number of cycling plans, and started but not finished my fair share of cycling plans (for a number of reasons).
  • OldAssDude
    edited December 2018
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Thanks @OldAssDude - I am working out my plans for next year now. Once I get my *kitten* together I'll know what my training will look like then I can fill in the down time with smaller races. Right now the fools I run with are trying to talk me into an ultra race next December. 100K sounds painful to me (and one did 100 miles :o ).

Aren't you pretty close to Philly?

I'm sure you could do a 100k no problem. In fact, i can see you doing a 100 miler. :)

Yeah. I'm in Levittown Pa.
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    Ok.

Me...
    Hi Hal. I am currently doing your 10 mile Novice plan. I notice that on some of your other plans you give the option to do run or cross. Would it be ok to make Wednesday an optional run cross day instead of cross?

Thank you in advance.

A little about me. I'm 61 and can already run 5 miles at a slow pace. I am just doing this to improve my fitness, and have never competed in a race or anything. I have also never followed any sort of plan before. I have been averaging about 30 miles per week between running, power walking, and recovery walks. I normally train at much higher intensity than conversational, but understand that i should be doing most of my runs at a conversational pace and intend to do that following this plan.

His reply...
    Yes, definitely follow a plan that will offer guidance to what you are doing. The half would be a good preliminary goal.

So i guess i will be doing the "Novice 1 Half Marathon plan". It is 3.1 miles more than the 10 mile plan, but over 12 weeks instead of 10. And it allows the optional "run or cross" on Wednesdays.

alrzyezwh4fa.png

I am going to start fresh tomorrow, and use the last 2 weeks as a learning experience for how to follow a plan. :)

I would like to thank you all for being so patient with me, and i probably should have done more research before committing to the original 10k plan. Please understand that this is new to me, and it's frustrating going from doing much higher intensity to much lower intensity workouts.

Wow, i find that so disrespectful to the people on here who have spent time trying to actually help you.

I certainly do not mean any disrespect to people that are trying to help me, and i appreciate people trying to help me actually follow a plan in the first place.

This is also a very big commitment on my part too, and there is nothing wrong with doing some research and gathering information on something that i've never done before to pick the best plan for me.

I think what people might be responding to is the fact that you've seemed really dismissive throughout your posts. No one is saying that this is going to be easy, but also there have been a lot of people who have given you advice (that you've asked for) and then been dismissed - multiple times. Also I doubt that this is as big of a commitment as you're trying to communicate it as being. It's 12 weeks, free, zero stakes, etc. That doesn't mean it'll be easy, but "hard" doesn't equate to "very big commitment". If you were say, signed up for a half marathon that was non-refundable and expensive, then my thoughts would be a bit different - even then, the plan itself wouldn't be a commitment, the doing the half marathon would be.

Let me note - I don't think it's a bad thing to have contacted Hal Higdon (you probably should have done so earlier). I do, however, think that you have been dismissive throughout the thread.

And yes, I get that you haven't done a plan before. I have had my own difficulties following cycling plans and have completed a running plan as well (and I was starting running from a much more basic and fragile place than you were for some major physiological reasons). I finished the running plan, finished a number of cycling plans, and started but not finished my fair share of cycling plans (for a number of reasons).

Yeah i know what you're saying. I am stubborn and dismissive, but after i think about things, i try to come to my senses (most of the time).

The commitment to me has nothing to do with money. I have been working my *kitten* off for almost 4 years now to improve my fitness. I have lost over 50 lbs. so far and improved my health tremendously compared to what i used to be. I did not follow any plan and am set in my ways of doing things. I do a combination of power walking, trail running, running, intervals, cycling, and kayaking. I always pushed my self to the upper HR zones except on recovery walks.

So yes, this IS a big commitment for me to totally change the way i've been doing things for almost 4 years. Another reason is that i take any commitment seriously, because i'm not a guy who goes around saying i'm going to do this or that, and wind up not doing it.

I know this is going to be a challenge for me, and not only in working up to the distance, but following the plan as well. I am already playing the run days over and over in my head, and trying to mentally prepare myself for them.

I get what you are saying, and i am trying to work on it... :)

Thanks,
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Ok.

Me...

Thank you in advance.

His reply...

alrzyezwh4fa.png

Yeah i know what you're saying. I am stubborn and dismissive, but after i think about things, i try to come to my senses (most of the time).

The commitment to me has nothing to do with money. I have been working my *kitten* off for almost 4 years now to improve my fitness. I have lost over 50 lbs. so far and improved my health tremendously compared to what i used to be. I did not follow any plan and am set in my ways of doing things. I do a combination of power walking, trail running, running, intervals, cycling, and kayaking. I always pushed my self to the upper HR zones except on recovery walks.

So yes, this IS a big commitment for me to totally change the way i've been doing things for almost 4 years. Another reason is that i take any commitment seriously, because i'm not a guy who goes around saying i'm going to do this or that, and wind up not doing it.

I know this is going to be a challenge for me, and not only in working up to the distance, but following the plan as well. I am already playing the run days over and over in my head, and trying to mentally prepare myself for them.

Thanks,

I want to head this off by saying that, while you haven't said as such, I'm not trying to be defensive or belittling. As I've said in other arenas, I wouldn't be spending as much time talking to you if I didn't think you actually cared/could do whatever I'm suggesting. I realize that I might be coming off as aggressive, but that's not my intent.

Your use of commitment and my use of commitment are different in this context and we probably misunderstood each other. It's a matter of scale really. When I think of a major commitment with regards to a exercise, I think long term (12 weeks isn't long term to me). Given your dismissiveness, it wasn't at all clear that you were planning (or willing) to try to make this a long term change.

Honestly when push comes to shove, you need to stop being so dismissive. Staying in the dismissive headstrong mode will not do you any favors, both in terms of communicating with people who are giving you advice (eventually people will stop bothering because it'll become clear that you don't value their advice) and actually getting the best out of whatever plan or plans you plan on doing. I suspect that that will actually be far harder than following a 12 week plan - not because I think you're some sort of horrible person (I don't think you're a bad person). but because that mindset is probably far more ingrained in you than the way you've been exercising.

Good luck!
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    What is your BMI?
  • tirowow12385
    Options
    Not to double post but MFP took away the edit function, if you want to "get faster" and I put that in quotation because, you're not going your top end speed from point A to point B but rather your going your medium speed, get what I'm saying?
    Your medium speed will improve dramatically as you lower your BMI. Lift weights and do a total body routine to minimize muscle loss.
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    Not to double post but MFP took away the edit function, if you want to "get faster" and I put that in quotation because, you're not going your top end speed from point A to point B but rather your going your medium speed, get what I'm saying?
    Your medium speed will improve dramatically as you lower your BMI. Lift weights and do a total body routine to minimize muscle loss.

I'm 5'8" and 185 lbs.

I lost a little over 50 lbs. so far, and want to lose another 25.

Right now i just want to be able to run at least 10 miles. Then i will start working towards improving my pace. I think my overall pace will improve some just by doing slower longer runs.

I have a total gym (knock off) and a yoga mat, and have been doing at least one 15 minute session per week on pulling, pushing, and core. Also, on rest days i have been doing a 15 minute stretching session.
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    Ok.

Me...

Thank you in advance.

His reply...

alrzyezwh4fa.png

Thanks,

I want to head this off by saying that, while you haven't said as such, I'm not trying to be defensive or belittling. As I've said in other arenas, I wouldn't be spending as much time talking to you if I didn't think you actually cared/could do whatever I'm suggesting. I realize that I might be coming off as aggressive, but that's not my intent.

Your use of commitment and my use of commitment are different in this context and we probably misunderstood each other. It's a matter of scale really. When I think of a major commitment with regards to a exercise, I think long term (12 weeks isn't long term to me). Given your dismissiveness, it wasn't at all clear that you were planning (or willing) to try to make this a long term change.

Honestly when push comes to shove, you need to stop being so dismissive. Staying in the dismissive headstrong mode will not do you any favors, both in terms of communicating with people who are giving you advice (eventually people will stop bothering because it'll become clear that you don't value their advice) and actually getting the best out of whatever plan or plans you plan on doing. I suspect that that will actually be far harder than following a 12 week plan - not because I think you're some sort of horrible person (I don't think you're a bad person). but because that mindset is probably far more ingrained in you than the way you've been exercising.

Good luck!

I understand what you are saying, and i am working on it.

On the other hand, there are people on this forum who are not trying to be helpful, and also people that i don't agree with on certain matters, as well as people who are even more dismissive than i am. Sometimes i misjudge people because of that, but i have enough humility to admit when i'm wrong.

Thanks,
  • OldAssDude
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Created workouts in Garmin Connect for all my run days and scheduled them in my Garmin Calendar...

vg2fyjbdhyvy.png

Also set the intensity target to zone 3 so it will alert me if start drifting off into intensity land.

I love Garmin (most of the time). :)
  • tirowow12385
    Options

I'm 5'8" and 185 lbs.

Right now i just want to be able to run at least 10 miles. Then i will start working towards improving my pace. I think my overall pace will improve some just by doing slower longer runs.

I have a total gym (knock off) and a yoga mat, and have been doing at least one 15 minute session per week on pulling, pushing, and core. Also, on rest days i have been doing a 15 minute stretching session.

Did you not get faster when you lost 50 pounds? What was your pace 50 pounds ago and what is it now? Just curious as We are the same height and weight and when I was 225 ( 50 pounds ago), I was stuck with a 40 minute till I went below obesity and ran 26 minute 5k.

• OldAssDude
    Options

I'm 5'8" and 185 lbs.

Did you not get faster when you lost 50 pounds? What was your pace 50 pounds ago and what is it now? Just curious as We are the same height and weight and when I was 225 ( 50 pounds ago), I was stuck with a 40 minute till I went below obesity and ran 26 minute 5k.

I was about 240 almost 4 years ago. I could barely walk a mile at about a 3 mph pace, and then had to lie down for an hour because i felt like i was going to die. I just kept walking and increasing the pace and distance until i could walk 10 miles at a 4+ mph pace (power walking). About a year ago i started running because just power walking was not getting my heart rate up enough any more. At first i could only run for about 30 seconds (at about my power walking pace or maybe a little faster). I started the C25k program but for some reason the time kept messing with my head, so i just kept running a little further distance each time and worked my way up to running 5 miles non stop.

My fastest mile so far is a little over 10:00, but i could only run 1 mile at that pace. My long runs are much slower. Probably between 15:00 and 17:00 running at a conversational pace.

I think doing more long runs at a conversational pace would help a lot in improving my shorter distance pace. I hope to run a sub 30 minute 5k in time.
  • OldAssDude
    edited December 2018
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

Thanks. Good stuff. I'm going to do a nice slooooooooooooooooooooooow 3 miler today.

I think i'll find that snail that passed me last week and ask him to go a little slower so i can keep up. :)
  • tirowow12385
    Options

I'm 5'8" and 185 lbs.

I was about 240 almost 4 years ago. I could barely walk a mile at about a 3 mph pace, and then had to lie down for an hour because i felt like i was going to die. I just kept walking and increasing the pace and distance until i could walk 10 miles at a 4+ mph pace (power walking). About a year ago i started running because just power walking was not getting my heart rate up enough any more. At first i could only run for about 30 seconds (at about my power walking pace or maybe a little faster). I started the C25k program but for some reason the time kept messing with my head, so i just kept running a little further distance each time and worked my way up to running 5 miles non stop.

My fastest mile so far is a little over 10:00, but i could only run 1 mile at that pace. My long runs are much slower. Probably between 15:00 and 17:00 running at a conversational pace.

I think doing more long runs at a conversational pace would help a lot in improving my shorter distance pace. I hope to run a sub 30 minute 5k in time.

I think your paces are reasonable given your height and weight and that you've only been running for about a year and running at a "conversational" pace. If you want to go sub 30, as someone who's the same height/ as you, you gotta run just hard enough not to keep over lol

We're overweight though and there's room for improvement, be patient, you're not off track, run, lift and stay the course, the pace will improve. Good luck sir.