Body Fat Reduction / Timing?

Options
maronesax1972
maronesax1972 Posts: 272 Member
edited November 2018 in Motivation and Support
So I’m looking for some insight. When I started almost six months ago I had three goals. 1) Get healthy (BP, sugar, cholesterol) 2) Cut weight (about 30 lbs) 3) Achieve 15% BF

Now I’m 46 YO and the first two goals, I’m proud to say, I’ve crushed in about 5 months. And my BF % today just hit 16.8%. Down from 24% when I started. However, I’m maintaining my GW and the reduction of BF has slowed considerably.

So my question, what should I expect? I’m thinking I have 40 weeks before i hit this goal. Do I need to adjust macro’s? I’m at 30% protein and 50% carbs. I’ve lowered cardio considerably but am thinking I may need to jack that up and take calories up as well. Any insight? Or do I keep on keeping on and expect very small progress steps from here?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Congrats on your progress so far.

You don't say whether you lift or not.
    If you aren't lifting, start now.
    A recomp, maintaining weight while losing fat and increasing strength and/or muscle, will probably take you to where you want to be.

As far as cardio goes, do it on alternate days, cut back if you need to for recovery, prevention of injury/burnout.

Included below are a couple of useful threads.

Cheers, h.

Pick a programme to suit your time, ability now, and equipment available.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

All you need to know about recomp and more.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • maronesax1972
    Options
    Yes. Lifting 3-4 days a week and light cardio. Thanks for the links and tips. Slow and steady I go.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Recomposition is a slower process, you may want to consider cut and bulk cycles, if you want faster process. It will mean gaining and losing weight though. Go check out the bodybuilding forum:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/goal-gaining-weight

There should be at least a few threads there for some additional reading. If you feel that gaining would be too emotional for you, then recomposition is a great plan.
  • maronesax1972
    Options
    Thanks. After getting an entirely new wardrobe since losing, i think I’ll stick to recomp. I’m in it for the long haul so if it takes a while to lose that last layer of body fat, I’m okay with it. Thanks for the reply though.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @nutmegoreo, at 16.5% isn't his bodyfat is too high for a successful bulk?
    That is why I thought recomp.

Isn't it advised that men have to be around the 10% mark for a bulk (just from forum discussions :))?

Cheers, h
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How are you getting that bf% number? I ask because every single body fat measurement method other than postmortem analysis has a +/-3%+ margin of error. Some are up to 8% even.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    @nutmegoreo, at 16.5% isn't his bodyfat is too high for a successful bulk?
    That is why I thought recomp.

Isn't it advised that men have to be around the 10% mark for a bulk (just from forum discussions :))?

Cheers, h

Honestly, I'm not too sure, which is why I recommended the other forum for more information.
  • maronesax1972
    Options
    My BF % coming from a scale I purchased when I started my journey back in June. I was 24% on that scale and now it’s at 16.8%. Only only weigh in weekly and I know there’s room for error on any scale. Since I hit GW 3 weeks ago and now am in maintenance mode, things have slowed. That’s why I posted the question. Appreciate the answers. Recomp is the way to go for me. I think macros are good for now and I am going to add some more cardio back. Good lifting program already in place. I will play with calories if cardio begins to take weight, but I think with my body comp, the 2% I want to get off of BF is going to take some time as you all have stated. Thanks!