Garden thread

Options

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I know (from a neighbor who worked on it with the prior owner of my house) that when the buffer area first arrived it had horrendous soil, but they replaced it. I'm not sure what exactly is in there now. I need to do more research. It is in full sun.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,588 Member
    Options
    Curious what you all would do here. I'm in 9b and started old heirloom tomato seeds not really expecting any to grow and a bunch did, they have their second leaves right now and are really small under lights on a table. In my zone it's time to plant in the yard. I'm not planning to go to the gardening center but if you were me would you wait or grab some plants if they're at the grocery store? Obviously they won't taste as good as the heirlooms. To make it harder I don't have much sun because of oak trees so I only have room for about 5-6 plants and currently have about 30 various heirloom cherry tomatoes like Reisentraube, Sungold, Golden Isis, and a few others.

Non-tomato and showing life isn't on hold my lavender's bloomed and gorgeous, peonies are about to bloom. Weird since in so many ways things seem paused but they're really not. First sunny day was yesterday and I enjoyed it opening all the windows and doing yoga on the lawn under the oak tree.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    If you have room and want to plant some more things besides the tomatoes and can get them at the grocery store, I would. If you don't have enough space for anything but the heirloom tomatoes, good reason to concentrate on just the heirlooms, though.
  • Katmary71
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    If you have room and want to plant some more things besides the tomatoes and can get them at the grocery store, I would. If you don't have enough space for anything but the heirloom tomatoes, good reason to concentrate on just the heirlooms, though.

That's what I'm leaning toward, just hate being behind. They'd taste a lot better than regular tomatoes so the energy put into growing them would be a better bet. My herb garden's going to be twice as big on the deck, I can't have bigger pots on the deck because water's more likely to pull but may try a few vegetables in smaller pots. My other containers are homemade self-watering containers, just unfortunately the oak trees have matured since I made them and shade all but three. Can't have anymore wine barrels in the sun as they were attacked by termites, pretty gross when I'd been eating the strawberries before I knew!
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Last year I bought these herb carts for my back porch -- each of them has 8 compartments, and my back porch is pretty sunny. I love them and don't have to use garden space for herbs, and my kitchen is quite close to my back porch, so it's extra convenient. I am going to plant up my raised bed with cooler weather plants, so may build another for the tomatoes and peppers that I grew in there last year -- here it's too early to put peppers or tomatoes outside so I have time, although I know it goes fast.

I managed to get some radish, carrot, string beans, and pea seeds today, among others (including marigolds). I went a little nuts so need to decide what else I want to plant and where.

I currently have flowers coming up (and some blooms), and my strawberries look good (although just leaves so far), and my blueberries seem to have buds, so this is all encouraging.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    Curious what you all would do here. I'm in 9b and started old heirloom tomato seeds not really expecting any to grow and a bunch did, they have their second leaves right now and are really small under lights on a table. In my zone it's time to plant in the yard. I'm not planning to go to the gardening center but if you were me would you wait or grab some plants if they're at the grocery store? Obviously they won't taste as good as the heirlooms. To make it harder I don't have much sun because of oak trees so I only have room for about 5-6 plants and currently have about 30 various heirloom cherry tomatoes like Reisentraube, Sungold, Golden Isis, and a few others.

Non-tomato and showing life isn't on hold my lavender's bloomed and gorgeous, peonies are about to bloom. Weird since in so many ways things seem paused but they're really not. First sunny day was yesterday and I enjoyed it opening all the windows and doing yoga on the lawn under the oak tree.

You could give some of the plants away. In my Facebook gardening group and for freecycle.org we've usually just left things on the porch for pickup even pre-coronavirus.

In your case, I might pick up just one more mature plant, but at the garden center, as I trust their plant care and quality more. My garden center lets you order and pay over the phone and have curbside pickup.

At my last place, I had oak tree limbs trimmed to get more sun into my garden. Great investment!

Not applicable to you but since I'm thinking of tree-trimming - here, we were lucky to get the city to cut down dead trees against our fence but on their land. My neighbor had done the four years of nagging to get that done for her property, and we just tagged along to the project with only two phone calls and one site visit by surveyors who confirmed that the dead trees were indeed on their property. This gave us tons more sun.
  • Katmary71
    Options
    @Kshama2001 Thanks for the advice! I have a huge ancient oak tree that hangs over the house then a few smaller ones that really have grown since I moved in so it's more than one tree. Just had my microwave break in my oven/microwave combo so that's my unexpected upcoming purchase, the trees will have to hang in there a bit longer but I'd love for them to get serious haircuts! It's illegal to cut down oak trees here but boy do I wish I'd pulled the one out before anyone would've noticed! I think you're right about getting one from the garden center, I'll look into it. It's not near my house and I love going in person and talking to people (I'm actually introverted unless people want to talk books, gardening, or health) but not really a choice now. When I grew from these seeds 10 years ago I gave plants to all my neighbors. I'll just have to see what grows further than first pair of true leaves, they're all pretty small. I've never been on freecycle, totally forgot about it!
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    @Kshama2001 Thanks for the advice! I have a huge ancient oak tree that hangs over the house then a few smaller ones that really have grown since I moved in so it's more than one tree. Just had my microwave break in my oven/microwave combo so that's my unexpected upcoming purchase, the trees will have to hang in there a bit longer but I'd love for them to get serious haircuts! It's illegal to cut down oak trees here but boy do I wish I'd pulled the one out before anyone would've noticed! I think you're right about getting one from the garden center, I'll look into it. It's not near my house and I love going in person and talking to people (I'm actually introverted unless people want to talk books, gardening, or health) but not really a choice now. When I grew from these seeds 10 years ago I gave plants to all my neighbors. I'll just have to see what grows further than first pair of true leaves, they're all pretty small. I've never been on freecycle, totally forgot about it!

You could still give plants to your neighbors - just don't hand them to them :)

They should also wash their hands after picking them up and planting them, just to be safe.

None of my neighbors are gardeners, so I use freecycle and FB to rehome excess plants.

Actually! Now that one set of neighbors is working from home, they have a lot of extra time and did spend 9 hours on their yard yesterday, which was nice to see. I gave them some baby tiger lilies, and they gave me excess marigolds.

I planted more tiger lily babies at my neighbors on my other side.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I am beyond excited!! I ordered a heat mat and grown light off of amazon (cheap, I think $25 for both? Maybe $35) for two seeds in particular - some heirloom tomato seeds from 2015 that were my dad’s (that he had saved seed from for a couple of years from a tomato given to him, probably in 2010), and purple Thai Holy Basil that I read were quite finicky to get started (makes a very tasty tea, hoping this is the same seed type that I had a plant of years ago... the green plant doesn’t have the same spicy clove flavor) - both have emerged!! Yaaaayyyy! And they are even starting into their first set of true leaves. The basil seeds that I tried starting in the window sill never grew, nor did the ones I direct seeded last year so it feels like a major plant victory for me! (I had a major brown thumb when I first started and learn a little more each year... mainly what NOT to do :lol:).
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    For those that plant marigolds, do you have problems with them attracting those miserable nasty earwigs? If so, what can you do to deter them?
    Thanks!!
  • kshama2001
    Options
    We dug all of the dandelions out of the back lawn. Wonder how long before I see yellow all over the place again :lol:

Note: I leave dandelion flowers for the bees for a bit, and just dig them up right before they go to seed.

I was considering making dandelion wine, but didn't want to sacrifice that much sugar, and didn't have some of the ingredients, and really don't drink anymore, so gave it up.
  • moonangel12
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    We dug all of the dandelions out of the back lawn. Wonder how long before I see yellow all over the place again :lol:

Note: I leave dandelion flowers for the bees for a bit, and just dig them up right before they go to seed.

I was considering making dandelion wine, but didn't want to sacrifice that much sugar, and didn't have some of the ingredients, and really don't drink anymore, so gave it up.
    I am the weird one that actually likes dandelions :lol: we picked all our neighbor’s flowers and made dandelion honey/syrup and I made some dandelion lemonade that was tasty!
  • ReenieHJ
    Options

I am the weird one that actually likes dandelions :lol: we picked all our neighbor’s flowers and made dandelion honey/syrup and I made some dandelion lemonade that was tasty!

We have our first dandelion sightings right next to our house and I felt a nostalgic excitement yesterday, seeing them for the 1st time and remembering all the bouquets daycare kids have picked for me through all the years. :( I'm silly sentimental this way. :blush: It used to delight me seeing our vases and cups on the table, filled with them. But it would sadden me when their children would meet their parents at the door, their little chubby hands filled with a special yellow bouquet to give them, their hearts filled with love and kindness, and the parents would say 'oh great, more weeds'. :(
    I know they're just weeds but they're such a pretty color and brighten up the yard too. Lol It's like feeding squirrels at the feeders during the winter. People don't like them and try to deter them but I figure they're cute and have to eat too. :blush:

So, I'm trying something I've never done before....I'm going to attempt sweet potato sprouting so I will hopefully have some plants to plant when the time comes. :)
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    20s and snowing. We'll see what this does to my plants. (I took my two big containers of flowers that I had out in front for Easter and which I knew were a little early inside, hopefully soon enough, and am hoping everything else will be okay.)
  • moonangel12
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

We have our first dandelion sightings right next to our house and I felt a nostalgic excitement yesterday, seeing them for the 1st time and remembering all the bouquets daycare kids have picked for me through all the years. :( I'm silly sentimental this way. :blush: It used to delight me seeing our vases and cups on the table, filled with them. But it would sadden me when their children would meet their parents at the door, their little chubby hands filled with a special yellow bouquet to give them, their hearts filled with love and kindness, and the parents would say 'oh great, more weeds'. :(
    I know they're just weeds but they're such a pretty color and brighten up the yard too. Lol It's like feeding squirrels at the feeders during the winter. People don't like them and try to deter them but I figure they're cute and have to eat too. :blush:

So, I'm trying something I've never done before....I'm going to attempt sweet potato sprouting so I will hopefully have some plants to plant when the time comes. :)
    Yes! My children are always so excited to bring me the first dandelions of the season to tuck behind my ear, and I always have a small “vase” or two of wild violets, dandelions, clover, etc. on the table or windowsill. One of the “vases” is actually a vintage nail polish bottle we found under our old house (my husband’s great grandmothers house)...

And I even have a pack of gorgeous dandelion fabric that I have been hoarding, waiting for the perfect quilt pattern! (I might have finally found one, too!)

7uel2d8ddr0l.jpeg

(Flowers are probably a week old... time for a new bouquet!)
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    20s and snowing. We'll see what this does to my plants. (I took my two big containers of flowers that I had out in front for Easter and which I knew were a little early inside, hopefully soon enough, and am hoping everything else will be okay.)

I woke up to the white stuff on the ground too. (Cleveland-6) I planted some lettuce, kale, chard and even after covering it up last night, it looked "frozen". Does this mean they're going die??
    I really wish it warms up. Looking at more cold days ahead. 😔
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    Options

I woke up to the white stuff on the ground too. (Cleveland-6) I planted some lettuce, kale, chard and even after covering it up last night, it looked "frozen". Does this mean they're going die??

Not necessarily. Sometimes things shrink back (wilt, kinda) as part of their defense mechanism, but will recover. WIll need to wait and see. Kale, in particular, tends to be pretty darned tough.

I don't veggie garden anymore (did for years), but still have flowers. When I post flower photos on FB in early Spring, it's a common thing for friends to say "Oh, but that's gonna get killed by tomorrow's frost/hail/snow/sleet/other Michigan Spring weirdness".

My usual response is "Nah, those plants know what they're doing". And nearly all the time, they do. Some of the veggies are a little more marginal in Northern climates, so they may be more vulnerable. But I'd predict some will be fine, maybe even most/all.
  • ReenieHJ
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

Yes! My children are always so excited to bring me the first dandelions of the season to tuck behind my ear, and I always have a small “vase” or two of wild violets, dandelions, clover, etc. on the table or windowsill. One of the “vases” is actually a vintage nail polish bottle we found under our old house (my husband’s great grandmothers house)...

And I even have a pack of gorgeous dandelion fabric that I have been hoarding, waiting for the perfect quilt pattern! (I might have finally found one, too!)

7uel2d8ddr0l.jpeg

(Flowers are probably a week old... time for a new bouquet!)

Yep, time for the little ones to pick more, I'd say. Lol
    I really like your fabric! I found a tee shirt I want to buy soon, with dandelion fluff on it. :blush: If I were to get a tattoo, that'd also be what I'd get. Out of all the daycare books I had(100's Lol) I kept only a few and The Dandelion Seed was one of them. It has the most amazingly gorgeous illustrations.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    xnbl0929dbei.jpg
    Leaves are starting
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Not necessarily. Sometimes things shrink back (wilt, kinda) as part of their defense mechanism, but will recover. WIll need to wait and see. Kale, in particular, tends to be pretty darned tough.

I don't veggie garden anymore (did for years), but still have flowers. When I post flower photos on FB in early Spring, it's a common thing for friends to say "Oh, but that's gonna get killed by tomorrow's frost/hail/snow/sleet/other Michigan Spring weirdness".

My usual response is "Nah, those plants know what they're doing". And nearly all the time, they do. Some of the veggies are a little more marginal in Northern climates, so they may be more vulnerable. But I'd predict some will be fine, maybe even most/all.

I brought in the tomatoes in pots, lettuce that was not yet in ground into the garage last night. Thank god, cuz there was 4,5 inches of snow this morning!!! The others have to stay tough out there... I did cover with sheets last night. Either way, I'm so over with this.