Garden thread

Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Question: I planted green/red pepper seeds from a couple peppers we'd had. None of the seeds planted in dirt have poked through and it's been well over 3 weeks now. But I also put some in a plastic bag in the window, with a wet paper towel and they're sprouting so I can plant those. Why the difference?? I'm hoping putting the seedlings into dirt won't kill them. :(

The difference is likely that the soil was either too dry or too cool for germination.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Question: I planted green/red pepper seeds from a couple peppers we'd had. None of the seeds planted in dirt have poked through and it's been well over 3 weeks now. But I also put some in a plastic bag in the window, with a wet paper towel and they're sprouting so I can plant those. Why the difference?? I'm hoping putting the seedlings into dirt won't kill them. :(

The difference is likely that the soil was either too dry or too cool for germination.
    It also could depend on the dirt. Starting seeds in something like Miracle Grow potting soil doesn’t work well, I learned that years ago. There is just too much fertilizer/stuff for tender plants.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    yes i do have that problem. i try to avoid garden centers just for that reason. i always end up with extra stuff @Katmary71
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I gave up doing much of anything from seeds. The plants are really cheap around here, typically $4 for most herbs and veggies like tomato’s and peppers are 4/$10. The only success I had from seeds is my forget me nots. Now that they are established they spread so fast I have given mature plants to 5 different people in 2 years.

I guess it would be different if I had the space for a large garden but for my space plants are perfect.

Yes, I use to have a shelf with grow lights for starting seeds indoors, and now that I don't, have no qualms about buying seedlings. I got some kale and spinach seed from Mom and direct sowed it, but it's not doing anything, while I'll be starting to harvest the kale seedlings I bought a few weeks later any day now, and the spinach seedlings are way ahead of the seeds as well.

Peas and beans are the only thing I like to do from seeds these days.
  • kshama2001
    edited May 2020
    Options

In dirt outside? You're north of me, in VT or NH, right? It was too early to plant those seeds outside:

https://todayshomeowner.com/how-to-measure-soil-temperature-for-planting/

Garden Vegetable Seed Germination Temperatures
    The soil temperature for planting vegetables should be:
    • 40° F or warmer: Lettuce, kale, peas, spinach.
    • 50° F or warmer: Onions, leeks, turnips, Swiss chard.
    • 60° F or warmer: Broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, carrots, beans, beets.
    • 70° F or warmer: Tomatoes, squash, corn, cucumbers, melons, peppers.

If in dirt inside, then likely you over or under watered them.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Yes I have that problem, same just going online. ;-)

It's likely to be below freezing here on Friday, I'm hoping that's the last day. Going to add my tomatoes and peppers (seedlings) next week.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    Anyone else have a problem with seedlings jumping into your cart at the garden center? I went for potting soil and came home with 6 more plants, I went from 2 to 4 tomatoes for three containers plus hauled 5 gallon buckets out and now have a good day's worth of drip-system extending to do!

My garden center provides wagons for shopping, and also give you a plastic tray to carry your plants out to your car. I put the tray back in the car and carry it in the next trip, effectively limiting me to what I can carry in the tray :)
  • moonangel12
    Options
    Freeze warning starting tonight into Saturday :s it’s almost the second week of May! Our frost date is May 1, I patiently twiddled my thumbs and waited until this past (gorgeous and warm!) weekend to plant things other than chard and lettuce... I just hope i can cover things well enough for them to survive. Also moved chicks outside because they were outgrowing the small tote I was using in the house (and we have no room for anything bigger)... hoping the heat lamp will be enough! I used plastic tote lids to help block excess air flow. Blah.

I also wonder the long term impact on commercial crops, even more of a concern given the times...
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

It's likely to be below freezing here on Friday, I'm hoping that's the last day. Going to add my tomatoes and peppers (seedlings) next week.

Looking at the 10 day forecast, next week from Wednesday on should be safe to put in plants. 4 of the next 6 nights are supposed to be below freezing, then get back into the 40's. I am 90 minutes north of you so you may not get quite as many freezing nights but it should still be too cold.

I have my plants but they are in a wagon so I can move them outside during the day and in the garage overnight. I will probably plant them midweek next week.
  • MeganD1704
    MeganD1704 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I like this thread- I am a very amateur planter compared to most here lol!
    Still to cold here to plant (3b), however I have my line up ready.

I do have a question though- how do you get rid of strawberry plants? The house we bought has a contained little tree with so many strawberry plants it seems to be starving the tree D: those are the only thing that are currently growing so far despite the 30-low 40 temps last week. Hardy buggers.
  • moonangel12
    Options
    MeganD1704 wrote: »

I do have a question though- how do you get rid of strawberry plants? The house we bought has a contained little tree with so many strawberry plants it seems to be starving the tree D: those are the only thing that are currently growing so far despite the 30-low 40 temps last week. Hardy buggers.
    Not sure if you want to get rid of them entirely, or just tame the patch, but came across this video and thought I would pass it on (disclaimer, I have not watched it, but skimmed the article).

https://lovelygreens.com/reviving-overgrown-strawberry-patch/
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Looking at the 10 day forecast, next week from Wednesday on should be safe to put in plants. 4 of the next 6 nights are supposed to be below freezing, then get back into the 40's. I am 90 minutes north of you so you may not get quite as many freezing nights but it should still be too cold.

I have my plants but they are in a wagon so I can move them outside during the day and in the garage overnight. I will probably plant them midweek next week.

Yeah -- I think tonight is the only time it's actually supposed to be below freezing here. Still going to wait a bit longer to be safe.
  • kshama2001
    Options

Not sure if you want to get rid of them entirely, or just tame the patch, but came across this video and thought I would pass it on (disclaimer, I have not watched it, but skimmed the article).

https://lovelygreens.com/reviving-overgrown-strawberry-patch/

I'm going to have to try this!

"Before we get to how to clean a strawberry bed, let’s talk about keeping it maintained. Though I let mine run wild each year, it’s recommended to give June-bearing varieties the chop after they fruit. That means cutting the plants back, runners, leaves, and all, to two inches above the ground. Pruning them encourages new leaves to form and fewer runners."
  • kshama2001
    Options

@MeganD1704 yes, my strawberries sure do spread like weeds :)

Every spring I give them away on freecycle.org and my gardening group on Facebook. I've also planted some at two neighbors'. At the one, we planted in large pots with the intent of letting them die over the winter, but one jumped overboard and two years later has now planted itself all around her mulch bed :smiley:

I segregated some against the fence with modular fencing and will add some bird netting when the berries get ripe so they don't all go to the squirrels and birds.

At my last place I had enough to share with the critters, but my gardens are smaller here and I have to protect my berries.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Careful new gardeners!

Queen's Brian May rips glutes while gardening

Brian May has said he is in "relentless pain" following a gardening mishap during lockdown.

"I managed to rip my Gluteus Maximus to shreds in a moment of over-enthusiastic gardening," the Queen star explained in an Instagram post on Thursday.

May said he had to go to hospital for a scan and would not be able to walk without assistance for a while.

He said he would "need a complete break" while he recovered from the injury.

I've been looking and looking and do not see an official diagnosis and am wondering about rhabdomyolysis.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Careful new gardeners!

Queen's Brian May rips glutes while gardening

Brian May has said he is in "relentless pain" following a gardening mishap during lockdown.

"I managed to rip my Gluteus Maximus to shreds in a moment of over-enthusiastic gardening," the Queen star explained in an Instagram post on Thursday.

May said he had to go to hospital for a scan and would not be able to walk without assistance for a while.

He said he would "need a complete break" while he recovered from the injury.

I've been looking and looking and do not see an official diagnosis and am wondering about rhabdomyolysis.

Sir Brian is, after all, a scientist, so I wouldn't expect him to say "rip my Gluteus Maximus to shreds" when he meant rhabdo, after a scan at the hospital. (Yeah, he's an astrophysicist, not a medical or physiology type, but still.) He's also no longer a mere youth (age 72), and gardening potentially involves serious lifting, prying, etc., if one starts digging beds, pruning trees, moving rocks, and that sort of thing.

Gotta be careful out there, fer shure. ;)
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Just discovered the scraps of my Romaine lettuce I popped in a cup with growing scallions is growing, so cool!

I thought this might make some of you tomato/pepper growers smile. I was cleaning out old storage bins I'd made into self-watering containers to throw away and kept coming across an interesting caterpillar so I'd move it into the next container and kept going. It eventually ended up on my watering can so I placed it in a bucket I had a pepper plant growing in and watched it for a few minutes. Then I noticed on it's tail there was a curved spike! Yep, hornworm! That baby was tossed a good 15 feet into the greenbelt, I hate those things!
  • moonangel12
    Options
    So far, after two nights of covering, things are looking OK. We got quite a bit of rain last night so the plastic ended up squishing a couple plants as puddles formed, we’ll see if those rebound (one was a watermelon, the rest mainly sunflowers and onions). A father and daughter duo from church stopped by, had a quilt frame of his moms to give me, and he said he doesn’t usually plant anything until Mothers Day... good to know for next year! Last year I got lucky... but probably won’t be as eager next year (I am learning from seasoned gardeners that many don’t plant until two weeks after the listed frost date. My husband’s grandmother was the same way).
  • kshama2001
    Options
    So far, after two nights of covering, things are looking OK. We got quite a bit of rain last night so the plastic ended up squishing a couple plants as puddles formed, we’ll see if those rebound (one was a watermelon, the rest mainly sunflowers and onions). A father and daughter duo from church stopped by, had a quilt frame of his moms to give me, and he said he doesn’t usually plant anything until Mothers Day... good to know for next year! Last year I got lucky... but probably won’t be as eager next year (I am learning from seasoned gardeners that many don’t plant until two weeks after the listed frost date. My husband’s grandmother was the same way).

Here in 6b, two weeks after the last frost date is about the date for warm annuals like tomatoes. We can plants hardened-off cold annuals like kale a month before the last frost date.

I start planting pea seeds between St. Patrick's Day (March 17) and April 1, depending on how organized I am and how much snow we have - irrespective of temperature, if the soil is too wet, the seeds can rot.

I use a kitchen thermometer to measure soil temp:

https://todayshomeowner.com/how-to-measure-soil-temperature-for-planting/

Garden Vegetable Seed Germination Temperatures
    The soil temperature for planting vegetables should be:
    • 40° F or warmer: Lettuce, kale, peas, spinach.
    • 50° F or warmer: Onions, leeks, turnips, Swiss chard.
    • 60° F or warmer: Broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, carrots, beans, beets.
    • 70° F or warmer: Tomatoes, squash, corn, cucumbers, melons, peppers.

The seed germination temperature is often much warmer than the plant’s growing temperature. Once established, many veggies can handle much cooler air temperatures as long as the soil is warm enough. To get a head start on spring planting, plant seeds indoors or use plastic row covers to warm the soil more quickly.