Garden thread

Options

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,607 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    How have I never heard of mini hostas? Maybe I have seen them and just not realized what they were...

Reviving this old sub-thread, and begging your collective indulgence, because hostas really are not food. ;)

Why revive? Because I couldn't find photos when the subject came up, but the the minis are nearing their regular mature size, so I took some photos to share now. (I still don't remember the variety names; they're lost somewhere in my planting records). I have a few others, but this is a sample. If you want minis, and look at the tags on smaller-looking plants at bigger, more diverse nurseries to find the full-grown size designations, you can find some. The strappy-leaved one, I admit, is a little borderline for mini status, but it's still not big, plus kind of interestingly grass-like for a hosta (I have a sedge that looks remarkably similar . . . until they flower, of course ;) ). I particularly like the little green-edged one with white central splashes; it grows in nice little bunchy clusters. (The pinkish splorches here and there on all of them are fallen double cherry blossoms.)

A couple of days ago I found a database of all known hosta varieties and you could filter by size. Of course, I cleared my cookies so now I can't find it any more. I was surprised at how many there are in the micro mini and mini size.

Since we are sharing mini hosta photos, here is my 3 year old Blue Mouse Ear hosta:

They are food for slugs.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    How have I never heard of mini hostas? Maybe I have seen them and just not realized what they were...

Reviving this old sub-thread, and begging your collective indulgence, because hostas really are not food. ;)

Why revive? Because I couldn't find photos when the subject came up, but the the minis are nearing their regular mature size, so I took some photos to share now. (I still don't remember the variety names; they're lost somewhere in my planting records). I have a few others, but this is a sample. If you want minis, and look at the tags on smaller-looking plants at bigger, more diverse nurseries to find the full-grown size designations, you can find some. The strappy-leaved one, I admit, is a little borderline for mini status, but it's still not big, plus kind of interestingly grass-like for a hosta (I have a sedge that looks remarkably similar . . . until they flower, of course ;) ). I particularly like the little green-edged one with white central splashes; it grows in nice little bunchy clusters. (The pinkish splorches here and there on all of them are fallen double cherry blossoms.)

A couple of days ago I found a database of all known hosta varieties and you could filter by size. Of course, I cleared my cookies so now I can't find it any more. I was surprised at how many there are in the micro mini and mini size.

Since we are sharing mini hosta photos, here is my 3 year old Blue Mouse Ear hosta:

They are food for slugs.

I have never had a slug.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,078 Member
    Options

They are food for slugs.

I have never had a slug.

Lucky! The mini hostas aren't even doable, IMO, with a big slug population. They're just too close to slug territory. (Air space around the bigger ones limits the damage more, in addition to raw size - the big ones can live with leaves a bit lacy.)

For a while, the slugs here were awful (and I'm not in the Pacific NW or other place known for that). Literally, my late husband and I would go out to the garden at night just to smash and skewer slugs, dozens of them, with sticks, to try to save some of the veggies (especially the leafy stuff). I bought the cheapest beer, and put slug traps of it all over the garden - like Cool Whip bowls with entry ports cut in the side then sunk so the entrances were at ground level. They'd be full of drowned slugs every morning . . . until the raccoons discovered that slugs marinated in Milwaukee's Best are delicious (apparently). There were slugs crawling up the siding on the shaded side of the house, the sidewalk, the landscape timbers in the gardens. If I accidentally got slug-slime on my skin, pretty much nothing seemed to want to remove it: Scrubbing, soap, oil. Ugh. Slugs. So gross.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options

They are food for slugs.

I have never had a slug.

Lucky! The mini hostas aren't even doable, IMO, with a big slug population. They're just too close to slug territory. (Air space around the bigger ones limits the damage more, in addition to raw size - the big ones can live with leaves a bit lacy.)

For a while, the slugs here were awful (and I'm not in the Pacific NW or other place known for that). Literally, my late husband and I would go out to the garden at night just to smash and skewer slugs, dozens of them, with sticks, to try to save some of the veggies (especially the leafy stuff). I bought the cheapest beer, and put slug traps of it all over the garden - like Cool Whip bowls with entry ports cut in the side then sunk so the entrances were at ground level. They'd be full of drowned slugs every morning . . . until the raccoons discovered that slugs marinated in Milwaukee's Best are delicious (apparently). There were slugs crawling up the siding on the shaded side of the house, the sidewalk, the landscape timbers in the gardens. If I accidentally got slug-slime on my skin, pretty much nothing seemed to want to remove it: Scrubbing, soap, oil. Ugh. Slugs. So gross.

Slugs are a pest. They didn't use to be when I was a child, but are now.

I had the mispleasure of stepping into one with bare feet on more than one occasion. So so so gross! Horrible thing is, you actually have to let the slime dry before trying to use soap and water on it. We had a wood scraper and 'sand' bath next to the garden shed to do 'slime' first aid: scrape what you can off with the scraper (just a convient piece of wood split off a log), rub your hands (or in my case feet :yuck: ) with the sand and only then use soap and water on them.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    so far slugs haven't been too much of an issue, just a few here and there.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    beautiful @debrakgoogins
  • MeganD1704
    MeganD1704 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    7j6np7fha14d.jpg
    This is my front flower bed after much weed tending last weekend. Everything came back and is doing well :) I wasnt sure if I'd have to replant the bleeding heart as last year a cat ripped in half while using the flower bed as its litter box :| (no we dont have a cat). I still want to put a little fairy garden in :). The cedar got a bit burnt last year- I didnt know I should wrap it- but will going forward come snowfall.

byg28m9onelv.jpg
    One of my raised beds- this is only spinach, broccoli and lettuce. Glad everything is starting to come up. My other took awhile to seed due to delays in being able to purchase dirt in our small town. That one houses more lettuce, kale, green onions and carrots.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    keep forgetting to take a picture of these. last year, it was very sad. very little growth. this year it's a happy plant
    i5zbahogvjvg.png

What variety is that?
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Quarantine has revived my gardens. I have been cleaning up some overrun flower beds and replacing plants with native pollinator plants. I created a fairy garden. Here are some of the results. (before and after pics)
    MeganD1704 wrote: »
    This is my front flower bed after much weed tending last weekend. Everything came back and is doing well :) I wasnt sure if I'd have to replant the bleeding heart as last year a cat ripped in half while using the flower bed as its litter box :| (no we dont have a cat). I still want to put a little fairy garden in :). The cedar got a bit burnt last year- I didnt know I should wrap it- but will going forward come snowfall.

One of my raised beds- this is only spinach, broccoli and lettuce. Glad everything is starting to come up. My other took awhile to seed due to delays in being able to purchase dirt in our small town. That one houses more lettuce, kale, green onions and carrots.

Everyone's gardens are looking so nice!!!!

• earlnabby
    Options

They are food for slugs.

I have never had a slug.

The last 2 years I have had some holes in the early leaves of most of my perennials, especially the rudbeckia, silene, and hosta. This spring I did an application of beneficial nematodes (one application before mulching and the second one 2 weeks later after mulching. No holes at all. I really don't know what my pests are so I got a combination of Hb, Sc, and Sf. Worked.
  • mbaker566
    edited June 2020
    Options
    keep forgetting to take a picture of these. last year, it was very sad. very little growth. this year it's a happy plant
    i5zbahogvjvg.png

What variety is that?

i believe it is a proven winner Clair de Lune Clematis Plant

nope the countess of wessex
  • earlnabby
    Options
    I just got my first clematis bloom. This is its second year so I expect some blooms, but more growth. Next summer should be the first big blooming year. Planting perennials is teaching me patience.

102288777_3088943291188846_5139416982323462144_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=tJfeLm5WqTEAX-bi7-A&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=71e0d123cfd8d1bd074c6f5f3fbea44b&oe=5EFB4F39

Same bloom a week later. The outer petals are about to drop off and it should be ready to deadhead in another week or two.

c55cbmwt2em5.jpg
  • earlnabby
    Options
    i5zbahogvjvg.png

What variety is that?

i believe it is a proven winner Clair de Lune Clematis Plant

nope the countess of wessex

Thanks. Mine is Multi Blue
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Oh Fairy Gardens!!! I love those. When my daycare was still open, we used to create them under our big Crab Apple tree in our front yard. Then I gave the older kids their own space in our fenced off garden in the backyard, to create what they wanted. It was sooo much fun. And my Fairy garden stuff was pretty much the only thing I kept when I retired and closed up shop. Maybe it's time to dig it all out again. :) Thanks for the inspiration. :) There are 2 little girls I miss terribly from daycare and we haven't been able to get together recently. :( Can a person create Fairy Gardens while social distancing?? I'll talk to the mom and see if she's up for it. :)

Re: my garden, everything seems to be growing for me but some of it is being very slow. Nothing's died yet so that's good, right? Lol
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Oh Fairy Gardens!!! I love those. When my daycare was still open, we used to create them under our big Crab Apple tree in our front yard. Then I gave the older kids their own space in our fenced off garden in the backyard, to create what they wanted. It was sooo much fun. And my Fairy garden stuff was pretty much the only thing I kept when I retired and closed up shop. Maybe it's time to dig it all out again. :) Thanks for the inspiration. :) There are 2 little girls I miss terribly from daycare and we haven't been able to get together recently. :( Can a person create Fairy Gardens while social distancing?? I'll talk to the mom and see if she's up for it. :)

Re: my garden, everything seems to be growing for me but some of it is being very slow. Nothing's died yet so that's good, right? Lol

We had a cool spring, but with the current warm weather, things should be taking off. My cool annuals took off. In fact, my spinach is bolting :(

I grew Malabar spinach a few years ago and it took forever to take off. Mom is growing it this year, and it is still super tiny, as are her cucumbers, but that won't last.

/runs out to check on pole beans/

Yup, pole beans still small. But I know I will have beans coming out of my ears in July :)
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    LovelyChar, I LOVE your garden corner!!

I have 1 cherry tomato plant and 6 big boy tomato plants. My CT is a nice size but only starting to produce flowers. My BB plants are still little(bought them as a 6 pk, unlike the single CT plant). Three of my BB plants I had to transplant because they were dying where I had them. They've got some catching up to do. :(

My cucumbers are pretty little yet, just starting to get their 2nd set of leaves. Strawberries are growing by leaps and bounds but still green. Peas are flowering, green pepper plant is good, onion sets looking good. I'm hopeful. :)
  • mbaker566
    Options
    my strawberries are starting to produce. i'm hoping they keep growing each year. they have been slow to grow these past 2 years
    h5faq8r190pq.png

berries are getting ready to start producing fruit. all my veggies are slowly growing. my black beauties and tomatillos are just sprouting.