Garden thread

Options

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,175 Member
    Options
    I kind of missed my chance to make it into a "giant bonsai," but I might actually still try that. Yes, they are brittle. In the southeast they are weed trees. I guess they CAN propagate here since this one is a volunteer. Super-easy to rake leaves, plenty of shade, and yeah - stand back because it grows super fast. That also means short-lived. I probably should prune it down to a half-inch tall....
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    @mtaratoot You have a lot going on. I'm in the southern hemisphere and I only have a sliver of a garden left at this point due to mice destroying my tomato plants. Jalapeno peppers and Bell Peppers are thriving and appears my sweet potatoes are doing well. I have a raised garden and I'm buying myself pots and more soil and I'm going to be working on growing my garden this week, a birthday present to myself.

I'll post pictures soon but I'm going to get some rosemary, mint, lavender, more Bell Peppers and sweet potatoes going (I grew the slips and now I just need to plant them). I think I'm going to order a variety of peppers off of Etsy since it really seems to be the only thing I'm having luck with.
  • WildColonialGirl
    WildColonialGirl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    We just had a container garden this year with herbs and salad greens. We’re planning raised beds for next year with tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, green beans, salad greens and herbs. Going to keep the catnip separate haha.
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    We just had a container garden this year with herbs and salad greens. We’re planning raised beds for next year with tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, green beans, salad greens and herbs. Going to keep the catnip separate haha.

I'm going the container garden route. I can move and protect from rhodent's favorites that way.
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    We went from gardens and flowers growing to a big and very early snow fall. I had a fall garden planted of peas, greens and carrots and parsnips were still in. I'll see what I can recover once this snow melts!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    We've had snow the past couple of days, but nothing has stuck yet, and my chard and carrots still seem okay. Last year we had a bunch of snow on Halloween, so interested to see if that happens this year -- it's not normal.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Our tomatoes are almost done for the season, still have lettuce, chard, beets, carrots, herbs, beans..getting ready to plant my winter crop, dark greens, broccoli, and probably brussel sprouts.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,175 Member
    Options
    carakirkey wrote: »
    We went from gardens and flowers growing to a big and very early snow fall. I had a fall garden planted of peas, greens and carrots and parsnips were still in. I'll see what I can recover once this snow melts!

That snow could be a good thing if it gets cold - it's a natural insulator.

We had more cold weather last night - colder than expected. The one remaining chile plant sustained some damage, but I think it made it. No more freezing temperatures in the immediate future. Some damp and some sun; maybe I'll still get some to ripen.

Leaves are frost damaged on the fig trees, but they didn't all fall off like the Paulonia. They will soon. The figs will also start falling, rotten, onto the ground.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    We've had snow the past couple of days, but nothing has stuck yet, and my chard and carrots still seem okay. Last year we had a bunch of snow on Halloween, so interested to see if that happens this year -- it's not normal.

You mean this snow? That is what finally did my pansies in.

u95jondbc31i.jpg

I pulled carrots this week but the snap peas are still blooming. That is the end of it. I just have to cook up the tomatoes that are finishing ripening and in the freezer and my gardening is done. I pulled the Boston Fern out of the planter and the thing was so huge I didn't realize it had pupped. I need to find a pot for the pup since mom is frozen and going to the ward waste recycling center.
  • sandypoint1267
    sandypoint1267 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My husband and I started a garden a few years ago. It has been a learn by experience adventure but I love it. Not only do I get excercise but I love eating fresh veg that I have grown with love and sweat !
  • AmeliaHartL6V
    AmeliaHartL6V Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    lol, such gardening is totally worthy
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Growing your own will save you a ton of money! Marijuana, while legal and readily available here in Nevada, is prohibitively expensive.
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    My ONLY success right here, but my oh my I'm excited to see these change to a variety of colors!

117p7mjldv01.jpg
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    Three sweet potato slips in the ground today and going to pot another. I have so much room left in my garden now that the tomato plants are gone. My dog killed a mouse today. She's an indoor dog but I let her out and she was on it.

n41jwt41j1bs.jpg
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    70's today and high 70's after tomorrow, sweet potatoes will be happy!
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    This year's garden added 5 lbs. of wild black raspberries and 6 lb.s of green beans to my freezer. I have 70 green tomatoes wrapped in the cool cellar - so I expect to be eating garden tomatoes well into December. Lots of dried chives, lemon balm, mint, rosemary and basil stocked in the spice cabinet for winter.

Next year, I want to add butternut squash, chard and zucchini. In the past, critters usually get anything in the squash family well before I do, but I'll give it a go.