Garden thread

Options

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I've got 2 organic sweet potatoes, one propped in water using the toothpick method and the other just planted in potting soil. I've been putting a UV light on them several hours a day as well as sticking them directly in a sunny window when it's appropriate. We'll see what happens. :/
  • Ironwoman1111
    Ironwoman1111 Posts: 3,913 Member
    Options
    @mpkp2015 Awesome!👏🏽 😃 I can’t wait to see them all grown up.😍🌹🌻🌼🌸🌺
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    Been years since I had veggie garden...

So far.. have planted two tomato plants.. and 2 sweet basil...

Bought a packet of sweet corn seeds....

Keeping eye on other plants to grow...
  • Ironwoman1111
    Ironwoman1111 Posts: 3,913 Member
    Options
    lx1x wrote: »

That’s really good. Actually, I’m a bit green with envy!🌱😄 Last year I had corn, they grew beautifully but ended up with baby corn.😐 Not enough sun! Hopefully this year will be better.🤞🏽
  • lx1x
    Options

That’s really good. Actually, I’m a bit green with envy!🌱😄 Last year I had corn, they grew beautifully but ended up with baby corn.😐 Not enough sun! Hopefully this year will be better.🤞🏽

I only cleaned portion of my small veggie garden.. need to clean the other portion next weekend..

Last time I grew corn.. bad storm took most down. 😣
  • lx1x
    Options

I only cleaned portion of my small veggie garden.. need to clean the other portion next weekend..

Last time I grew corn.. bad storm took most down. 😣

Awww...😕 I’m in the country so here anything can take my goodies, the weather, the hares or the deer. Apparently I’m in the business of planting midnight snacks for them!🙄

So am I.. sorta kinda.. we have deers roaming around and rabbits..
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Ugh! Looks like I've got a whole flat of mystery plants! Not sure where the label went and the seedlings haven't yet formed a true leaf. At some point, I may be posting a pic and letting y'all take a guess! 🌱
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    MsCzar wrote: »
    Ugh! Looks like I've got a whole flat of mystery plants! Not sure where the label went and the seedlings haven't yet formed a true leaf. At some point, I may be posting a pic and letting y'all take a guess! 🌱

Sure, happy to help when the time comes!
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I'm in Massachusetts so way behind some of y'all. My peas are making great progress for zone 6!

aka4bfcphvjz.png

I've also given away bee balm, spearmint, and sedum via my local Facebook gardening group and started a strawberry plot at my Mom's, where I'm moving this fall.
  • kshama2001
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Christopher Kimble must have known I was thinking about peas as he just sent me a recipe for One-Pot Spaghetti Dish with Goat Cheese, Mint and Peas. I'll have enough mint in a few weeks and fresh peas late June.

x5pbzv0tno95.png

Free for a limited time:

https://www.177milkstreet.com/recipes/spaghetti-goat-cheese-mint-peas-pasta-easy-sarah-rich?allow_token=240c57d8-85de-4611-b03c-195875612f53&utm_source=Christopher+Kimball’s+Milk+Street&utm_campaign=74d38f5d21-TND_SPAGHETTIGOATCHEESE&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c373980eee-74d38f5d21-119508313&goal=0_c373980eee-74d38f5d21-119508313&mc_cid=74d38f5d21&mc_eid=6ca906de3d
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    LOOOVE Christopher Kimble! Thanks! Much on the same schedule for mint (already up and growing) and peas (fingers crossed).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    I hope it's OK to bring back ornamentals to the thread, though we're getting more into the veggie season. We had discussed Hellebores a bit quite some time back, and I shared a photo of a creamy one, but gushed a little about the (irritatingly named, IMO) Wedding Party series. These are doubles from that series, a near black, and a nice pinky one. (I don't remember the variety names, though I have them written down someplace. I think the near-black has a groomsmen or groom name, the pink a bridesmaid-y one. 🙄) There's an even closer to black one in the series that I also have, a single, but I only have really ratty-looking photos of it.)
    1hbe3e3l91ci.jpg
    dfith4neoe4c.jpg

The little early Spring bulbs have been really prolific here this year (Tommie crocus, rock garden Iris (though the deer munched a bunch of these on bloom day 1), Chionodoxa, squills, and that sort of thing. Checkered lily (Fritillaria meleagris) are blooming now, and I'm rolling through a series of daffodil varieties.)
  • g2renew
    g2renew Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am in zone 7B and just found this thread! You guys are awesome! I had started a few beds end of 2019/start of 2020, but have been unable to follow through, so they are a MESS! You guys have some super info on here that I hope to be able to use fall or maybe 2022. Meanwhile, I have been able to do a little bit of weeding with grandson's help, and spend my days researching 'how tos' and 'what to plant' online and dreaming. I do have a few iris that are in bloom and some transplanted hostas have poked their little heads up. (only 4 out of 40, but I am still hoping more might struggle through.) Thanks for giving me another avenue of info:-). I might just toss some seeds in and see what happens. Happy growing from Alabama!
  • kshama2001
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I hope it's OK to bring back ornamentals to the thread, though we're getting more into the veggie season. We had discussed Hellebores a bit quite some time back, and I shared a photo of a creamy one, but gushed a little about the (irritatingly named, IMO) Wedding Party series. These are doubles from that series, a near black, and a nice pinky one. (I don't remember the variety names, though I have them written down someplace. I think the near-black has a groomsmen or groom name, the pink a bridesmaid-y one. 🙄) There's an even closer to black one in the series that I also have, a single, but I only have really ratty-looking photos of it.)

The little early Spring bulbs have been really prolific here this year (Tommie crocus, rock garden Iris (though the deer munched a bunch of these on bloom day 1), Chionodoxa, squills, and that sort of thing. Checkered lily (Fritillaria meleagris) are blooming now, and I'm rolling through a series of daffodil varieties.)

I have SUCH a hard time with Fritillaria! I believe the bulb I brought from my old place only bloomed the first spring since I planted it fall 2016. Other years it produces foliage but no blooms. Seems like it doesn't like any competition. Last fall I took out some irises that were encroaching on it and it looks like it will bloom again this year.

mxkniuj1ff9e.png

I'd also tried more than one bulb at my old place. I think I was entranced by the picture on the package every year when I looked at the bulb selection.

2y6tunxcunbj.png
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,584 Member
    Options
    HI gang! My garden is so crazy right now, I discovered Take a Plant Leaf a Plant stands and have been swapping with people then have all my Baker's Creek stuff started. My herb garden is a little bigger than normal, I went to the new nursery and found stevia seedlings which is a pain to grow from seed so I'm a happy camper. I have my cactus/succulent garden, about 25 vegetables in grow pots (tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, and peppers), a bunch of peas and beans, and flowers I've never grown before. I picked up a houseplant yesterday, I have to figure how I'm going to handle this thing as it's tropical and I'm in a hot dry climate. It's a houseplant but needs sun and none of my windows face the sun.

I managed to overwinter a tomato plant, I haven't decided if it's worth keeping or not, it's basically a couple suckers off the main stem so I need to trim it to just one and see what happens.

So far my only mistake is putting too much chicken compost in the peas, some died but it may have been overwatering too.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    HI gang! My garden is so crazy right now, I discovered Take a Plant Leaf a Plant stands and have been swapping with people then have all my Baker's Creek stuff started. My herb garden is a little bigger than normal, I went to the new nursery and found stevia seedlings which is a pain to grow from seed so I'm a happy camper. I have my cactus/succulent garden, about 25 vegetables in grow pots (tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, and peppers), a bunch of peas and beans, and flowers I've never grown before. I picked up a houseplant yesterday, I have to figure how I'm going to handle this thing as it's tropical and I'm in a hot dry climate. It's a houseplant but needs sun and none of my windows face the sun.

I managed to overwinter a tomato plant, I haven't decided if it's worth keeping or not, it's basically a couple suckers off the main stem so I need to trim it to just one and see what happens.

So far my only mistake is putting too much chicken compost in the peas, some died but it may have been overwatering too.

For your houseplant, it just won't thrive without light. You can buy various kinds of grow lights. Walmart carries a type that will screw into a standard light fixture. I had intended to use it in my office but unfortunately, it's red, and while my plants might like it, I couldn't stand it, but it would be fine in a location away from where I spend hours.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-LED-Light-Bulb-8W-65W-Equivalent-BR30-Grow-Light-Lamp-E26-Medium-Base-Non-dimmable-Plant-1-Pack/788148910

There are several ways to make the air more humid for it.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/hpgen/raise-humidity-for-houseplants.htm

ncreasing humidity levels in the home is not difficult and will prove beneficial in the long run. Misting plants, growing them in groups and using water-filled pebble trays are the most popular methods for raising humidity.
    1. Misting plants with a fine spray of water raises the humidity around the plant, but the effect is temporary. You should not mist plants with hairy leaves, such as African violets, however. The “hair” on the leaves holds water in place, encouraging diseases and leaving unsightly spots on the foliage.
    2. Placing houseplants in groups not only looks terrific from a design perspective, but it also creates a pocket of humidity.
    3. You can increase the humidity even more by placing a dish of water in the center of the cluster. Keep a container of water nearby to make it easy to replenish the water in the dish.
    4. Another way of increasing humidity levels around your plants is to set them on a tray of pebbles and water. Place a layer of pebbles in the tray, and then add water until the pebbles aren’t quite covered. The pebbles hold the plant above the water so that the roots don’t become waterlogged. As the water in the tray evaporates, it increases the moisture in the air around the plant.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    08kp4on8jfd4.jpg

Husband built an absolutely beautiful raised garden bed for me last June. I've been slacking on it and I need to flip that switch. What I do have growing in it is tons and tons and tons of Dark Leaf Italian Parsley. This is not all of the parsley, just one patch of it.