Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Food and Nutrition
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Garden thread

1484950515254»

Replies

• ReenieHJReenieHJ Member Posts: 6,690 Member Member Posts: 6,690 Member
    My sister accidentally wound up with a lot of extra strawberry plants thanks to an unclear website, so she's giving me some. I need to measure the bed today and let her know how many I want.

Nice for you!! My sister brought me a bunch of plants a couple years ago and the first year they didn't do that well. But last year, wow!! I had quarts and quarts of them! This year I have to make a second bed and somehow cut them apart.

Good luck with your plants; fresh strawberries are the best!
  • SuzanneC1l9zzSuzanneC1l9zz Member Posts: 78 Member Member Posts: 78 Member
    I envy you. I love artichokes, but hubby Will Not Eat them.
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Member Posts: 7,201 Member Member Posts: 7,201 Member
    Nice!

I've been doing some planting this weekend -- various greens (a couple types of lettuce, spinach, arugula, kale, chard, all started already), strawberries, since I think my existing strawberries got eaten/pulled up by something and I always lose most of the fruit I decided to replant in my raised bed, fennel, and then a variety of herbs (in my herb carts, instead of my actual garden, plus I'm trying an inside growing system). I started some other seeds inside, but have some more seeds I want to add outdoors. I also think I'm going to try to work on the landscaping of my backyard (small), although the fact it's dominated by a big raised bed in the middle makes that more challenging. I'm currently sitting outside in the nice weather trying to focus on a landscaping book for inspiration. I would really like to have a flowering garden and not only vegetables. Also, I could happily lose all my grass and replace it with other plants.
    edited May 2
  • mtaratootmtaratoot Member, Premium Posts: 5,932 Member Member, Premium Posts: 5,932 Member
    I envy you. I love artichokes, but hubby Will Not Eat them.

That your sweetie doesn't eat them shouldn't prevent YOU from enjoying them.

I was going to dig up one or two plants to give to a neighbor last fall, but they looked like they might be on the decline. Nope. So I'll dig some out this year. I started with an appropriate number of plants, then divided them every few years, and now..... I've given lots away. They seem to be mutating, but are delicious. I eat them only about six to 12 weeks a year when I have them and that's it. One of the easiest things in my garden to grow except the years I need to divide them. A few years ago, I dug 'em all up and set them aside and covered the bed with plastic to kill off weeds. Then I divided the little plants and sorted into groups like, "These will live for sure," "These are almost sure to do ok," "These might struggle," and "If these survive, it will be a miracle." I planted small rows with one from each category. Well; only a few died, so in just a couple years they need to be thinned again. Argh. Sometimes success is annoying.

I really need to amend my soil soon, but I don't till, and there's always something growing. I reckon the best thing would be top dressing with compost. In season we get mint compost, and it's pretty nice. Maybe I'll get a load this year.
  • SuzanneC1l9zzSuzanneC1l9zz Member Posts: 78 Member Member Posts: 78 Member
    Well, I think my veggie bed's about ready to plant, which I'm hoping to do this weekend. It's not raised and I haven't used it for a couple of years. It looked like a weird 6' x 6' sunken patch of lawn. Pulling up sod solo with just a spade is a workout!

Mom and I are headed to the garden centre, probably Thursday. I want a Roma tomato, a zucchini, and an eggplant. Gardening is apparently the new pandemic thing and a lot of places are already selling out, so we want to get there fairly quickly.

I'm also wanting to saw down a couple of bushes I hate on either side of our front gate and put baskets of flowers on the stumps, but that's going to wait a few weeks until I can steal hubby's truck to get them to the city composting site. They're taller than me and spiky so setting them out for collection seems kind of mean!

I'm getting a few strawberry plants from my sister and I'm already watering the raspberries. We've had quite an early spring. I think this is the earliest I've ever had to mow the lawn!
  • southkonahisouthkonahi Member Posts: 107 Member Member Posts: 107 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Well, today was the day. I got out my shears and cut off the first artichokes of the season.
    That's one thing I've never had fresh from the garden. I bet it is extra delicious.

• southkonahisouthkonahi Member Posts: 107 Member Member Posts: 107 Member
    Hi. I have discovered this thread, and want to jump in to enjoy your gardening adventures. I do not grow vegetables, but am thinking of doing some herbs.
    I usually have (depending on the season) banana, mango, Hawaiian chili peppers, and papaya.
    edited May 5
  • MsCzarMsCzar Member Posts: 367 Member Member Posts: 367 Member
    Started my seeds indoors mid-March. Most are progressing as expected - but I think I have Jack's magic beanstalk variety of beans (saved from last year). Five of the bean plants I started in March are not only 2' tall - but beginning to flower! Ready or not - outside they will go!
    edited May 5
  • L1zardQueenL1zardQueen Member Posts: 8,622 Member Member Posts: 8,622 Member
    @kshama2001 your mother will love the shovel. It kicks butt.
  • L1zardQueenL1zardQueen Member Posts: 8,622 Member Member Posts: 8,622 Member
    The cactus in my rock garden in bloom. . fpwcqgaj1taw.jpeg