Garden thread

Options
1545557596097

Replies

  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,528 Member
    Options
    A neighbor stopped me the other day as I was driving back from canoeing on the river. I thought she was just waving, but then she clearly made the WAIT sign.

    I unlocked the passenger door (yes, my truck is old enough that the windows are manual... so is the transmission... even have a cassette deck) and opened it. She said, "I hear you have more artichokes than you can eat...."

    I told her I had enough to share. I was right.
    9q3enrnsfry4.jpg
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    A neighbor stopped me the other day as I was driving back from canoeing on the river. I thought she was just waving, but then she clearly made the WAIT sign.

    I unlocked the passenger door (yes, my truck is old enough that the windows are manual... so is the transmission... even have a cassette deck) and opened it. She said, "I hear you have more artichokes than you can eat...."

    I told her I had enough to share. I was right.
    9q3enrnsfry4.jpg

    @mtaratoot: I've never cooked with fresh artichokes. I've read about it in various Joy of Cooking cookbooks over the years but I guess I've felt intimidated. How do you cook them?
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    My pot veggies were looking sad after several days in the bedsheet tent in my kitchen and I don't blame them. They did get out yesterday for a few hours but then back in last night. It's finally warmed up enough for them to stay out tonight. They're all in the sun and got a big drink so hopefully they'll perk up.

    The raspberries look great and the strawberries that my sister very nearly drowned before giving them to be seem to be perking up now that they're out of the waterlogged soil and in the ground. Fingers crossed.

    I also have beets, carrots, beans, Swiss chard and kale seeds in the ground so I'm waiting eagerly for sprouts.

    The downed tree is still a work in progress though.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,528 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    A neighbor stopped me the other day as I was driving back from canoeing on the river. I thought she was just waving, but then she clearly made the WAIT sign.

    I unlocked the passenger door (yes, my truck is old enough that the windows are manual... so is the transmission... even have a cassette deck) and opened it. She said, "I hear you have more artichokes than you can eat...."

    I told her I had enough to share. I was right.
    9q3enrnsfry4.jpg

    @mtaratoot: I've never cooked with fresh artichokes. I've read about it in various Joy of Cooking cookbooks over the years but I guess I've felt intimidated. How do you cook them?

    So many ways.

    The easiest is to get a good sharp knife and cut off a bunch of the pointy bits. Maybe the top third or quarter of the flower. Use shears to trim off the thorns from the rest of the leaves, except you can pull off some of the tough very outer layer of lower leaves.
    g4aebbgup35a.jpg


    Set a pot on the stove with a steamer basket in it. Some people squeeze lemon juice in the water to help keep the artichokes from changing color. I don't bother. Place the chokes cut side down on the steamer basket. This way steam gets up inside. Turn the pot to medium, and steam for 30 to 50 minutes - until the leaves can pull off easily. Use tongs to remove them. Peel off each leaf and scrape off the delicious meat at the base of each one. When you get to the middle (the choke), scoop that away gently with a spoon. Then you're left with the heart.

    Lots of people make some kind of dip with lemon/butter/olive oil/garlic. Some even use mayo. I eat mine without anything. I sometimes spread the tiniest amount of butter on the heart and sprinkle with finishing salt.

    You also can partially cook them in the steam and then finish them in the smoker.

    I have roasted them in the oven.
    lozwc3l31ylb.jpg
    8fsapyb95bvz.jpg
    pajtpbkup1ph.jpg
    c3t28s2wvg4p.jpg

    I think it would be fun to scoop out the choke of raw artichokes and stuff them with something and bake or steam right-side up. I suppose I could cook them fully, and THEN take out the middle and stuff with dungeness crab meat, but I didn't save any from crab season.



  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,528 Member
    Options
    Of course I cut some more flowers tonight.....

    1ankyz69dscx.jpg


    I steamed three of them and devoured them. The other two are in the vase. I'll cook 'em tomorrow or give 'em away.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Sadly, the only way I've ever eaten artichokes has been in Artichoke Dip.
    Roasted artichokes look good, love roasted veggies!
  • joryrheanne
    joryrheanne Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    d621ruac70oo.jpeg
    I dug out some sod this morning to extend our garden. I had to make room for strawberries and more tomatoe plants. I have 10 tomatoe plants total, started out with 4 but then I figured we needed more. My dh likes to make salsa after harvest time.

    It took me an hour to extend the garden and I got it done just before the rain started. The soil is all ready for more planting now and I got some good excercise in for the day. I worked up a good sweat.

    I have some hollyhocks and portulaca to pot as well and cosmos to go in the front garden.

    Hope everyone has a great day!

  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Thanks @mtaratoot! I'm going to try steaming some tonight! (I hope they haven't been sitting in the frig too long.)
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Have to google this but just wondering if anybody here would know why my zucchini plants are going pale on me? They're planted in my garden, lots of friendly sunshine and water; I used composted cow manure. Maybe they'll come around as they grow?
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Have to google this but just wondering if anybody here would know why my zucchini plants are going pale on me? They're planted in my garden, lots of friendly sunshine and water; I used composted cow manure. Maybe they'll come around as they grow?

    How long ago did you plant them?
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Have to google this but just wondering if anybody here would know why my zucchini plants are going pale on me? They're planted in my garden, lots of friendly sunshine and water; I used composted cow manure. Maybe they'll come around as they grow?

    How long ago did you plant them?

    Early last week? But they were turning lighter before that too. :(
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Have to google this but just wondering if anybody here would know why my zucchini plants are going pale on me? They're planted in my garden, lots of friendly sunshine and water; I used composted cow manure. Maybe they'll come around as they grow?

    How long ago did you plant them?

    Early last week? But they were turning lighter before that too. :(
    Hmmm... first thought is maybe seedlings that got too much sun too fast (I am notorious for doing that to mine 😜). If they aren’t wilting hopefully they are OK! Mine did that but eventually snapped out of it and are back to growing like they should... but I am still learning so there might be others here way more experienced to offer advice.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,528 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Have to google this but just wondering if anybody here would know why my zucchini plants are going pale on me? They're planted in my garden, lots of friendly sunshine and water; I used composted cow manure. Maybe they'll come around as they grow?

    Too much water?

    Too soon, I would think, for an iron deficiency to show up.

    Consider yourself lucky. Maybe some of them will expire so you don't have so many zukes to foist on friends and neighbors in a month. I was talking to a friend yesterday. He has a younger co-worker who put in his first garden. He told my friend he planted five (or was it eight) zucchini plants. He asked, "WHY?!?!" His co-worker said he likes 'em and so does his wife. He has no idea how many there will be. He even thinks he can bake his way out of the surplus by making lots of zucchini bread. I guess to be honest, he could go pick ten tiny zucchini every day, and he might be able to stay on top of things. Maybe pick some blossoms, too, to add to salads.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,528 Member
    Options

    I expect to have peas soon.

    j5b92a92umgl.jpg





    And marion berries (a blackberry variety), raspberries and blueberries.
    oyhlyh4tvzzm.jpg
    w7c2igo3p9u9.jpg
    xhu16id0nrbq.jpg


    And cherries (if the spotted wing drosophila doesn't ruin 'em all), Chojuro Asian Pears, and Bartlet Pears.
    rv37kh2zjc95.jpg
    jf9zmh0kvx0h.jpg
    xnvldzamh49f.jpg



    I already am harvesting lots of artichokes.
    bblim72wcl8z.jpg



  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Thanks @mtaratoot! I'm going to try steaming some tonight! (I hope they haven't been sitting in the frig too long.)

    It's also delicious to steam them and then slice down the center, rub with lemon and grill them :)
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,708 Member
    Options
    @mtaratoot I have artichoke envy!

    @girlwithcurls2 What kind of basil are you growing? I'm growing sweet, Genovese, Cardinal, Thai, Opal, Mammoth, and Cinnamon. For some reason sweet and Genovese aren't starting as well as usual, I was supposed to grow for the food bank farm and only a couple started, it's embarrassing! At least my tomatoes for them grew and since I water there a few days a week I don't feel like a complete loser!

    I'm growing zucchini for the first time and it looks like I'll have two to harvest next weekend, woohoo! A couple tomatoes are right on it's heels. My luffa plant doesn't look very happy but everything else is doing fairly well.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    @mtaratoot I have artichoke envy!

    @girlwithcurls2 What kind of basil are you growing? I'm growing sweet, Genovese, Cardinal, Thai, Opal, Mammoth, and Cinnamon. For some reason sweet and Genovese aren't starting as well as usual, I was supposed to grow for the food bank farm and only a couple started, it's embarrassing! At least my tomatoes for them grew and since I water there a few days a week I don't feel like a complete loser!

    I'm growing zucchini for the first time and it looks like I'll have two to harvest next weekend, woohoo! A couple tomatoes are right on it's heels. My luffa plant doesn't look very happy but everything else is doing fairly well.
    Drooling over all those basils! I love growing all the different herbs types (mints and basils especially... mints have taken over nearly every pot I have :lol: peppermint, chocolate, apple, orange, and lemon balm are the ones I can think of). I have lettuce leaf basil growing that I started from seed, normally some Thai will pop back up from last years seed, but the other varieties seem finickier from seed.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,708 Member
    Options
    @moonangel12 Lettuce leaf basil would be fun to grow! I love mints too, what do you do with them? I mostly use them in water, I have spearmint, orange mint, and berries and cream. I bought a packet of mixed mints and none have sprouted. Chocolate mint is good on strawberries and balsamic over ice cream! My aunt introduced me to getting good block feta and cutting it in chunks and wrapping in mint, that's pretty awesome! I bought my seeds from Baker's Creek which has a good reputation but my lemon balm didn't start either. I ordered a new African basil and they said it needs to be hot to germinate so I'm still waiting but it's hit 90s and nothing.

    Do you grow other herbs? I have two different kinds of oregano, marjoram, rosemary, lavender, basil, mints, evening primose, pinapple sage, regular sage, parsley, chives, echinacea, chamomile, dill, stevia, and I think that's it. My herb garden area was my first garden, I'd eventually like a bay laurel tree as well. I have a few others I just started like anise hyssop, I'd like to get a good selection for tea.

    My first zucchini are about ready, woohoo!
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    @moonangel12 Lettuce leaf basil would be fun to grow! I love mints too, what do you do with them? I mostly use them in water, I have spearmint, orange mint, and berries and cream. I bought a packet of mixed mints and none have sprouted. Chocolate mint is good on strawberries and balsamic over ice cream! My aunt introduced me to getting good block feta and cutting it in chunks and wrapping in mint, that's pretty awesome! I bought my seeds from Baker's Creek which has a good reputation but my lemon balm didn't start either. I ordered a new African basil and they said it needs to be hot to germinate so I'm still waiting but it's hit 90s and nothing.

    Do you grow other herbs? I have two different kinds of oregano, marjoram, rosemary, lavender, basil, mints, evening primose, pinapple sage, regular sage, parsley, chives, echinacea, chamomile, dill, stevia, and I think that's it. My herb garden area was my first garden, I'd eventually like a bay laurel tree as well. I have a few others I just started like anise hyssop, I'd like to get a good selection for tea.

    My first zucchini are about ready, woohoo!

    Tea is my main mint use, but now that I am doing AIP (auto immune protocol) I am relying more on fresh herbs for flavor so I am looking forward to some new uses this summer!

    I have a very similar list to yours: lavender (fave!!), oregano, rosemary (two types), thyme, lemon thyme, sage (and variegated sage which is beautiful! I am a sucker for variegated anything), chives, echinacea, German chamomile starting, hopefully some dill will pop up... I think I put out some anise hyssop seed as well. I do need to get some cilantro and parsley going, those are my main “everyday” herbs that I use.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    vrw1ticicnvo.png