Garden thread

Options

Replies

• DiscoveringLisa
    DiscoveringLisa Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    @DiscoveringLisa

I almost always use rooting hormone even for things that are easy to root. It can't hurt, and I have plenty.

I use a powder, and I think it's long past it's expiration date, but still works. I went to visit my old workplace yesterday and chatted with my old boss. I was wrong when I reported he only lost a few of the fig sticks I collected for him. They are ALL alive and in the ground. Poor guy is going to have so many trees. I told him if he wants I can make cuttings of the other two varieties I have, and I will.

Some things apparently don't need hormone. I put a sprig of rosemary in some water to keep it fresh. I usually trim off more than I need when I cut off a branch. Well, the darn thing started sending out root, and I put it in soil because... why not? I also brought in some spearmint and put it in some water and of course it has LOTS of roots. But that's mint. I think if you put a sprig on dry sand it would grow....

I also don't use the "best" method for rooting which includes some kind of medium. I just usu water. The advantage is I can see how the roots are growing... or not. The disadvantage is that it's not as successful. I am going to try to start some cuttings of a Rex Begonia this afternoon. I gave most of mine away, so I now only have one of them. I'm also going to make cuttings of a Hoya that some friends gave me last year for my birthday and that finally flowered this week.

My technique for things like the hoya, for figs, or for some kinds of begonia is to trim off at least two or three nodes, then remove the leaves (not the petiole, just the leaf) below the top set of leaves. I put them in water for a few minutes or more to let them soak up fresh water, then pull them back out, put them on a piece of newspaper, and put on some rooting hormone. I usually pour some out onto a small piece of paper or foil and kind of roll the wet stems in the hormone. I then leave them sitting out for a while - usually less than an hour but more than a few minutes. I figure this lets some of the hormone get into the plant or at least start to work. Then I gently and carefully put the stems in a jar of water. Some of the hormone will inevitably fall off and float to the water surface, but some sticks. Then I put it in a bright window out of direct sun and wait and watch. Boom boom - that easy. For the Begonia Rex, I just cut a leaf and do the same treatment. I sometimes cut down the leaf to a smaller size so it doesn't try to pull more water up than can be delivered through the cut stem. The bonus is that the pieces of leaf I cut off actually can root on their own, but I'm less successful with them. If I used a medium, I bet even those little leaf cuttings would root.

I'll try that, tha nks. I've had my fuscia cuttings in water for 2 weeks now and nothing happening. This is what happens when you Google stuff 😂
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,228 Member
    Options
    @DiscoveringLisa

I almost always use rooting hormone even for things that are easy to root. It can't hurt, and I have plenty.

I use a powder, and I think it's long past it's expiration date, but still works. I went to visit my old workplace yesterday and chatted with my old boss. I was wrong when I reported he only lost a few of the fig sticks I collected for him. They are ALL alive and in the ground. Poor guy is going to have so many trees. I told him if he wants I can make cuttings of the other two varieties I have, and I will.

Some things apparently don't need hormone. I put a sprig of rosemary in some water to keep it fresh. I usually trim off more than I need when I cut off a branch. Well, the darn thing started sending out root, and I put it in soil because... why not? I also brought in some spearmint and put it in some water and of course it has LOTS of roots. But that's mint. I think if you put a sprig on dry sand it would grow....

I also don't use the "best" method for rooting which includes some kind of medium. I just usu water. The advantage is I can see how the roots are growing... or not. The disadvantage is that it's not as successful. I am going to try to start some cuttings of a Rex Begonia this afternoon. I gave most of mine away, so I now only have one of them. I'm also going to make cuttings of a Hoya that some friends gave me last year for my birthday and that finally flowered this week.

My technique for things like the hoya, for figs, or for some kinds of begonia is to trim off at least two or three nodes, then remove the leaves (not the petiole, just the leaf) below the top set of leaves. I put them in water for a few minutes or more to let them soak up fresh water, then pull them back out, put them on a piece of newspaper, and put on some rooting hormone. I usually pour some out onto a small piece of paper or foil and kind of roll the wet stems in the hormone. I then leave them sitting out for a while - usually less than an hour but more than a few minutes. I figure this lets some of the hormone get into the plant or at least start to work. Then I gently and carefully put the stems in a jar of water. Some of the hormone will inevitably fall off and float to the water surface, but some sticks. Then I put it in a bright window out of direct sun and wait and watch. Boom boom - that easy. For the Begonia Rex, I just cut a leaf and do the same treatment. I sometimes cut down the leaf to a smaller size so it doesn't try to pull more water up than can be delivered through the cut stem. The bonus is that the pieces of leaf I cut off actually can root on their own, but I'm less successful with them. If I used a medium, I bet even those little leaf cuttings would root.

I'll try that, tha nks. I've had my fuscia cuttings in water for 2 weeks now and nothing happening. This is what happens when you Google stuff 😂

Make sure you have at least one, and probably at least two, leaf nodes under the water. That's where the roots will generate from.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,145 Member
    Options
    @DiscoveringLisa

Make sure you have at least one, and probably at least two, leaf nodes under the water. That's where the roots will generate from.

To this, I'd add that some plant types will root fast, and others quite slowly. As long as the top still looks healthy, it's worth letting it continue . . . for a long time. Change the water periodically so it doesn't get icky, but give it time.

I agree with mtaratoot about using rooting hormone, and the other details he's given. That includes the point that (like him) I prefer rooting things in water, but sometimes, for some species, rooting in damp clean sand or peat may be more effective. It does have that downside that you don't see what's happening, but the tops looking vital is a reasonable guide that things are OK underground. Once they start putting out new leaves at the top, good odds that there are roots forming well.

For some plants, it matters whether the cutting is soft stem or hard, and even season can make a difference to success rates with some plants, but I'm guessing the Google info you found covered that sort of thing, if the fuchsia plant happens to be one of the picky ones. Some things just plain don't like to propagate from stem cuttings, or maybe not via any of the vegetative propagation methods, but again your Google source should've identified that.

If they looks healthy, just keep tending the cuttings in water - there's hope, IME.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    @maratoot, (I don't know how to do the fancy thing.)

<snip>

Might I ask what marionberries are please. Do they have another name I might know.

@Fuzzipeg

It is THESE:

o8q24evg0tna.jpg

The first few are starting to ripen. I'm still chasing birds away from the blueberries....

• DiscoveringLisa
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    @DiscoveringLisa

To this, I'd add that some plant types will root fast, and others quite slowly. As long as the top still looks healthy, it's worth letting it continue . . . for a long time. Change the water periodically so it doesn't get icky, but give it time.

I agree with mtaratoot about using rooting hormone, and the other details he's given. That includes the point that (like him) I prefer rooting things in water, but sometimes, for some species, rooting in damp clean sand or peat may be more effective. It does have that downside that you don't see what's happening, but the tops looking vital is a reasonable guide that things are OK underground. Once they start putting out new leaves at the top, good odds that there are roots forming well.

For some plants, it matters whether the cutting is soft stem or hard, and even season can make a difference to success rates with some plants, but I'm guessing the Google info you found covered that sort of thing, if the fuchsia plant happens to be one of the picky ones. Some things just plain don't like to propagate from stem cuttings, or maybe not via any of the vegetative propagation methods, but again your Google source should've identified that.

If they looks healthy, just keep tending the cuttings in water - there's hope, IME.

Yes, they still look good. I've been changing the water every couple of days and they don't seem to be suffering, they look as good as when I cut them from the bush.
  • DiscoveringLisa
    Options
    @DiscoveringLisa

I'll check that now, I didn't actually know that 🤣
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Thank you, its good to know what we are missing over here. We are still picking our Logan berries and Tay berries, I think they are because they were inherited. I'm surprised they are doing anything because its so dry across here. The latest I've heard is we are to have a heatwave. I'm crossing my fingers for late July thunderstorms.
  • DiscoveringLisa
    Options
    Thank you, its good to know what we are missing over here. We are still picking our Logan berries and Tay berries, I think they are because they were inherited. I'm surprised they are doing anything because its so dry across here. The latest I've heard is we are to have a heatwave. I'm crossing my fingers for late July thunderstorms.

Where are you? I'm in the UK and we are expecting a heatwave too
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    On the south coast Weymouth is not too far away. Today is hot enough, (too hot) for me and its supposed to be getting worse. I think there are others in the US who regularly have temperatures higher than the ones we will be experiencing. Lets hope there will not be too many wildfires through the summer where ever anyone lives.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    @DiscoveringLisa

I think I wrote this before, but it might be lost in a sea of text because I tend to write in ways some may find verbose --

Snip off the leaf or leaves from the petiole or petioles. Leave the petiole (leaf stem) but snip away the actual leaf before you put the cutting in water to root. Leaves underwater will cause rot. Leaving the petiole prevents damaging the meristematic tissue that will generate the roots.
  • DiscoveringLisa
    Options
    On the south coast Weymouth is not too far away. Today is hot enough, (too hot) for me and its supposed to be getting worse. I think there are others in the US who regularly have temperatures higher than the ones we will be experiencing. Lets hope there will not be too many wildfires through the summer where ever anyone lives.

Oh lovely, I'm in the north west so we never get the best of the sun 🌞🤣🤣
  • DiscoveringLisa
    Options
    @DiscoveringLisa

I think I wrote this before, but it might be lost in a sea of text because I tend to write in ways some may find verbose --

Snip off the leaf or leaves from the petiole or petioles. Leave the petiole (leaf stem) but snip away the actual leaf before you put the cutting in water to root. Leaves underwater will cause rot. Leaving the petiole prevents damaging the meristematic tissue that will generate the roots.

No, you're good, I got it. I checked and I had removed the leaves so just the stem and little leaf nodes are in the water 😊
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Has anyone here ever done the math of your garden produce savings? I just ran the numbers for my berry harvest alone so far and it looks to be around $45USD. My yearly outlay for potting/garden soil, seeds, netting and fertilizer is less than $50USD. I don't count my time spent gardening since it is my hobby and pleasure and I am not taking time away from any source of income.

This year, I've got cukes, chard, beets, aubergine, sweet peas, green beans, tomatoes, a variety of peppers, potatoes, oregano, thyme, sage, basil and with a little luck, maybe cantaloupe and watermelon.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    MsCzar wrote: »
    Has anyone here ever done the math of your garden produce savings? I just ran the numbers for my berry harvest alone so far and it looks to be around $45USD. My yearly outlay for potting/garden soil, seeds, netting and fertilizer is less than $50USD. I don't count my time spent gardening since it is my hobby and pleasure and I am not taking time away from any source on income.

This year, I've got cukes, chard, aubergine, sweet peas, green beans, tomatoes, a variety of peppers, oregano, thyme, sage, basil and with a little luck, maybe cantaloupe and watermelon.

Not counting my time or the cost of water, some things for sure are a lot cheaper. Some not so much.

Perennials like my berries, artichokes, and figs have very little input. I don't think I would ever buy as much as I get from the garden, so it's not really fair to say I am saving money. Salad greens from seed save a lot. If I were to buy starts, they wouldn't save that much. Home grown tomatoes are not available for purchase at ANY price, so not sure how to value those.

I remember maybe a dozen years ago or so, my dad came out for a visit. It was during the time figs were ripe. We ate plenty. Later in the week, we went down to the Saturday farmers' market. Someone had pints of figs for sale. There's maybe five or six figs maximum in a pint. Well, he looked at the price, looked at me, and pointed at the price tags. I said, "Yeah. I know."

Potatoes may not make financial sense to grow, but they do grow well.

I spent about $20 or $25 last fall on seed garlic. The entire crop failed, so that sure didn't save me any money.
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I had initially planted Fagiolo beans, but only 7 came up and there was a big gap in the row. I'd run out of seeds, so yesterday I planted some Goliaths in the gap that I got from Mom - she had some left over after putting hers in. We'll see what happens. I also planted some Bibb lettuce, also from Mom, where the pak choy used to be. I had a bit of an "incident" and lost most of the seeds I had left so she gave me all her extra. Hopefully those both come up and are a bit less attractive to the critters. Everything else is looking great though!

Well... everything else except the raspberries. I'd fenced them off from the dogs, but the friend who did our roof after the tree fell on it accidentally dropped some stuff on them and broke off a bunch of the canes. I know it wasn't deliberate or anything, but I'm still frustrated after working so hard to bring them back after the dogs decimated the patch a couple of years ago! (they bit off all the canes about 3" from the ground because they wanted sticks to play with :| )
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I just put a roasting tray in the oven filled with potatoes, garlic and rosemary, all homegrown. It's a good feeling.... Especially since I learned alot of the garlic in the UK is imported from China and the Chinese often grow it in sewage and harmful chemicals....

True about the Chinese garlic. :#

That looks delish! I cook my potatoes and onions much the same way - but I like to use a cast Iron skillet or Dutch oven coated with a small amount of oil olive or avocado oil spray and brown the potatoes on the cook top first. Then I add the the onions and garlic, give them a quick oil spray,salt and pepper and add thyme and/or fresh oregano before popping it in the oven. The potatoes crisp up so nicely!
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    @DiscoveringLisa Looks delicious, I've got rosemary seeds and need to grow some. Good with chicken, chickpeas, potatoes and it's pretty!
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    107° degrees here today in central Texas, miserable hot hell in the summers. I hate summers here. Grass is crunchy dead straw and lake levels are so low you can't swim in most areas. No good, no good...

So I always welcome cooler months. Summers here are miserable, some much worse than others.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    107° degrees here today in central Texas, miserable hot hell in the summers. I hate summers here. Grass is crunchy dead straw and lake levels are so low you can't swim in most areas. No good, no good...

So I always welcome cooler months. Summers here are miserable, some much worse than others.

How do gardens not bake with that heat? :(