Understanding macros

Options
Please explain how to figure my macros..for losing MFP has my calories set at 1350....how do I know how much carbs ...fats etc? Thank you!!

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Calories are for weight management and macros are just the breakdown of those calories. Macro manipulation is for physique. Have you mastered counting calories correctly? I only say this because if not then macros are just going to complicate things more.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300312/most-helpful-posts-food-and-nutrition-must-reads#latest

You can view or edit your macro distribution in your MyFitnessPal app by clicking on “Goals,” where you’ll see your “Daily Nutrition Goals.”
  • Beachrunner54
    Beachrunner54 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the answer. I haven’t really mastered yet. So should just stick to calories in and calories out for now?
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the answer. I haven’t really mastered yet. So should just stick to calories in and calories out for now?

Everyone's journey is individual and should be personalized based on age, height, etc.

short answer is CICO is the great not-a-secret to weight loss. Macro balancing for me results in a fairly steady energy level all day, without the dreaded afternoon slump.

There are some really great stickyposts at the top of all the forums - that's the link I posted above. Take some time to read through them, and, take some more time to look over all the features of the MFP app so you can decide what features are going to be most useful to you.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Calories are what determines weight loss, so focus on those first.
    Macros are for satiety, health, and some fitness goals. The MFP defaults are a fine place to start. Many of us look at protein and fat as minimums to exceed and let carbs fall where they may. I found that the days I was hungry, often my protein and/or fiber were low, so I started focusing on them as well.

Also, check out the Most Helpful Posts threads pinned to the top of each forum, there's lots of great beginner info in there as well. Good luck :drinker:
  • Beachrunner54
    Options
    Thanks so much 😃😃
    Reading all the posts now!!!
  • Tammyrae99
    Tammyrae99 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Do you want to lose weight?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

This is how I set my macros. I consider the protein and fat targets as minimums. Carbs land wherever they may.
  • Beachrunner54
    Options
    @Tammyrae99 hi!! Yes, I want to lose 10 very very stubborn lbs😡🤣