My boss and others basically called me fat and it feels weird

Options
Ugh. I just feel so mentally defeated right now. I fell into a bit of a depression over the last year and gained a bunch of weight. My depression is mostly gone but I did gain a bunch of weight and I’ve just recently gotten back on the wagon to losing it all again (hopefully for the last time)

The past week one of my clients mentioned how it “looks like I’ve put on some weight”. And my boss just randomly came down to make small talk and out of nowhere says the same thing. “Wow you’ve put on a lot of weight” and then just kinda stared at me awkwardly putting me on the spot. I didn’t know what to say. Like I’m going to get into a long conversation with people I don’t know about everything I’ve been through the past year?

It just feels weird. And the boss that came down has a past of being very judge mental and just calling people fat and ugly, so when she came down and said it “looks like I’ve put on weight”, I didn’t take it as it was from someone that was concerned about me.

All this just kinda put me in a sad mood. My thoughts automatically went to “maybe I should just not eat for awhile” and I’m just feeling like a bit of a failure.

What am I supposed to do? I’m at work with 11 hours left in my shift feeling like a fat loser everybody is talking about

Replies

• Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    If he able to comment on your weight in such a careless manner, then he probably doesn't care much. Some people just say stuff and there's a good chance he has forgotten by now. If it was something he cared about or was concerned about, he probably would have said it in a different manner. It was definitely rude, but I wouldn't give it much thought.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    There’s not much you can do about a clients thoughtless, rude comment, but it’s totally unacceptable for your boss and should be reported to HR. You stated she has made comments about others as well and that is something HR should be made aware of. People skills are something bosses need for interacting with employees they supervise. Shame on her. That’s bullying.
    I am sorry this happened to you. You have lost weight before, you can do it again! Forge ahead and know that you are worthy of kindness and respect. Try not to let juvenile comments from adults make you feel bad. You are a much better person than they.
  • dewit
    dewit Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Some very good comments above! I might repeat something being said, I haven't read all of 'em.

1. You're working on it, no need to feel down. You we ahead of them to notice it :wink: Keep up the good work and commitment!
    2. One day you've "put on weight", the next day it will be "are you okay? You seemed to have lost a lot of weight recently, is all well? Some health concerns you feel like sharing?"
    3. Put them on "ignore" and think of things you're grateful for instead! Think of what you've accomplished, of people who love you and so on! Lots to be thankful for and happy about.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    JBanx256 wrote: »
    IMO - how does this fit into the culture of your workplace?

I've worked in places that are super-PC and the very thought of something like that would have sent HR into a tailspin. Where I work now though, everyone is thick-skinned and we give each other absolute hell on a daily basis (note: I'm FAR closer to these guys than I've ever been with any other coworkers. These guys are my ride-or-die's, literally) and it would take something FAR beyond the pale for HR to even raise an eyebrow.

If your workplace environment is one of general joking and smack-talking, a little good-natured ribbing is the the norm, then your boss probably didn't mean anything by it and didn't have the slightest clue how it would impact you. Try to step back and observe, as objectively as possible, how your boss interacts with others. Not saying that makes it RIGHT, obviously, but if everyone kinda pals around and says derogatory things to each other without any ill intent, take it with a grain of salt. You can still talk to HR about it and ask that everyone tone it down a notch, but at least you may realize it wasn't a personal attack and no harm was meant by it.

Good point about workplace culture. This would have been completely normal when I was in the military and completely unacceptable when I worked at a liberal arts college.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I like the positive approach (as above) - take the wind out of their sails: "yes, you are right and I am feeling very well, thank you!" Or: "That's what happiness feels, it's all about balance in life!" Then let them look stupid and walk away.
  • vollkornbloedchen
    vollkornbloedchen Posts: 2,243 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Next time somebody makes a comment like that, just say "Yep, I'm working on it" and walk away. You don't owe them any explanation. Or if you want to cut a little deeper, say "Yeah, I'm fat but I can lose weight....but you'll always be a rude *kitten*".

Basically it boils down to a solution like suggested by @AnvilHead

Some people have the empathic capabilities of granite ... these are the same people that (after you lost your share of lbs) will feel entitled to tell you that now you are looking sick and you should stop losing weight immediately.

Best is not to care about this.
    Smile, turn around, roll eyes (NEVER mix up this sorting!)

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,004 Member
    Options
    I agree with, "What people think of me is none of my business." But not in business. I mean, that particular little phrase has helped me so many times in life but if my boss said that, I would have to go back and say, "That was inappropriate for you to say." And I would stare right at her until she backtracked. If she didn't, then that tells you exactly who you are dealing with and it's not nice at all - but it's also all about her and her inability to manage people. I don't know if I'd take it to HR. I tend to just look for another job if I'm under someone who can't/won't apologize when confronted.

In my opinion it's never okay to comment on someone's body in any way. So I don't. Unfortunately other people have to learn to use their filters - and I don't really think that's gonna happen in my lifetime. People are really insensitive.

With that said, a coworker calling me a fat @ss helped kick me into gear to lose the weight, (after I got over wanting to pour water on her head) so there's that. :) Sometimes I need the tough talk, sometimes I really need a little more sensitivity. I don't always know which I need, and generally find I need both in equal measure. Regardless, if I go looking for a resentment I'll definitely find that.