What are your favourite, unexpectedly low calorie comfort foods?

2»

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,069 Member
    Some of my favorites are:

- Elk jerky (habanero flavored)
    - Cottage cheese with sugar free jelly
    - Boom chicka pop
    - Sharp cheddar cheese
    - Dill pickle spread with cream cheese and wrapped in corned beef (we call it cowboy sushi)
    - Greek yogurt + protein powder

Elk jerky is the BEST! I wish I could get my hands on some more frequently, but very few elk in Texas. :P I make turkey jerky chips by buying thinly sliced preservative and nitrate free turkey lunchmeat and giving it a quick swipe through some teriyaki. Dehydrate for about 10hrs and you have crunchy, almost bacon like chips.

I'm also a fan of pickled veggies. Sometimes for lunch I'll chop up some lunch meat and mix with pickled okra, pickled mushrooms, pickled heart of palm and eat it like a salad.

I snack on ranch flavored sunflower seeds at work a lot. One serving can last most of the day and is only 190 calories.

Berries is another good low calorie snack.

Light string cheese.

Cheese crisps

I picked up a recipe on here for something called GLOP (great loads of protein). It sounds and looks terrible, but is actually delicious. Brown 98% lean turkey and mix with salsa and cottage cheese. I eat it like a dip with tortilla chips.

• karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    I love to slice up a cucumber and onion, and drizzle it with vinegar/salt/pepper. Huge portion for low calories, and tasty.
  • kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    sheloves89 wrote: »
    Popcorn. =) I air-pop it, spritz it with a quick blast of olive oil, then mix it with nutritional yeast and dried dill... delicious!

I hear you on the protein issue (also a veggie). I have a protein shake that I can't live without, anymore. They sell it at Aldi's, it's called Elevation and it comes in Vanilla or Chocolate; I stick to Vanilla. 2 scoops + 1/2 cup almond milk + a handful of ice cubes blended and it's amazing - rich and thick and creamy, it's almost a milkshake! It's about 180 calories so I don't know if I'd classify it as a snack, but it's got 30 grams of protein. On days when I have my shake, I find myself battling cravings of any sort far less frequently!

@sheloves89 I just started using the Chocolate Elevation Protein Powder and I absolutely love it I use it as a meal replacement after the gym in the morning because I am not a big morning eater haha but I do 6 ice cubes 1 banana 1 cup almond milk and 2 scoops of powder blend it up and it's my perfect morning milkshake and keeps me full until lunch time.
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Cacao Shell Tea. Even with adding a little sweetener and milk it's far better than Hot Chocolate, yet you get that chocolatey taste. Again not exactly the same, but satisfying to me.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Cacao Shell Tea. Even with adding a little sweetener and milk it's far better than Hot Chocolate, yet you get that chocolatey taste. Again not exactly the same, but satisfying to me.

You've mentioned that before, and since I'm a fan of brewing chocolate, I'm thinking I might be a fan of this tea. I need to find it somehow. Off to google!
  • ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    Pickles and fruit. I always keep a jar of pickles and some fruit salad around.
  • MrSunshinez
    MrSunshinez Posts: 573 Member
    For a treat when there's no snacks in the house, I like to make a bowl of protein pudding and raspberries. Basically, I mix two servings (4 scoops) of Chocolate Muscle Milk powder, add just a bit of ice cold water to make it like a pudding consistency and add raspberries.
  • meganmoore112
    meganmoore112 Posts: 174 Member

Where do you buy this? I'd love to try it!
  • Stationagentjules
    Stationagentjules Posts: 57 Member
    Sugar free Werthers caramels
    Sauerkraut
    Coffee
    Tuna
    Also a fan of plain yogurt with fruit and vanilla extract
  • sarahlouryan95
    sarahlouryan95 Posts: 11 Member
    edited November 2018
    Toasted coconut chips are my all time fave - so moreish! Dates also, since I have a ridiculous sweet tooth and they fill me up and help relieve my sugary cravings!
  • RunStart34
    RunStart34 Posts: 164 Member
    Kimchi or brussel sprouts with olive oil, salt, and pepper placed in oven to get toasty.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    French onion soup...so warm and soothing and delicious, not a lot of calories...
  • Greeny19832014
    Greeny19832014 Posts: 12 Member
    McVities Mini Ginger Bread Men - 115kcal per 25g bag and it feels like you get loads in there!
    I started on the baby mini ginger bread men (I can't remember the brand) which are closer to 100 kcal for the little bag but the McVities are so much more indulgent and satisfying.
    Fav Comfort Dinner is a bowl of pasta (I usually have 40g dry weight) boiled in chicken stock, leave a bit behind when you drain, stir in vast quantities of mushroom, courgette and spinach (sometimes aubergine, peppers and/or baby plum tomatoes) and then stir through some quark (stir some of the stock into the quark before adding the quark back in to the pasta to stop it seperating).
    Quark as a creamy sauce makes so many meals into comfort food for me!
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    B and m bargains in uk do a chewy bar which gives a great sugar boost.its called skinny bar and is only 99 calories and you really feel you have had a "hit" after it
  • Lorna Doone shortbread cookies. There’s only 8g sugar in one whole pack of six cookies. Each individual cookie is only 35 kcal.
  • sophiegarcia411
    sophiegarcia411 Posts: 8 Member
    spaghetti squash
  • I love the Outshine all natural fruit popsicles! They come in all kinds of flavors Strawberry, peach, pineapple for around 80 calories. By far, My favorite is the creamy coconut and totally worth the 120 calories. Perfect for a sweet tooth!
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Popcorn, I have made a mix of swerve granulated with molasses to imitate brown sugar. I sprinkle 1tablespoon over 3 C air popped corn. Sprinkle with Cinnamon. A special treat that convinces me I am having caramel corn.
  • OddDitty
    OddDitty Posts: 248 Member
    for me its something very simple: A hard boiled egg.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    edited December 2018
    Pepperidge Farm chessmen cookies, 3 for 120 calories and diet instant hot chocolate, with chocolate almond milk and peppermint creamer, about 80 calories.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Greek yogurt, various lean meats (96+%) + sugar free-low kcal BBQ sauce, PB2 (vs. real PB...the texture is what I like about PB2)
  • Biggster69
    Biggster69 Posts: 84 Member
    All Arkins Bars