Planet Fitness

Options
2»

Replies

• New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I was so sad when I realized that Planet Fitness doesn't have a squat rack. Question for lifters: can a Smith machine substitute, even temporarily, for a squat rack, or am I just screwed? I'm working my way up to a normal barbell weight with dumbbells at the moment, but when I get there, is it time to find a new gym?

Do they have dumbbells? Goblet squats are probably a better bet than smith rack squats. The smith rack prevents a normal squatting motion, due to the fixed path of the bar.

^^What (s)he said. I've seen very few people use the Smith Machine where I go (but I go at 5:30 am).

Everyone uses the Smith machine at mine. Including a woman who alternates squatting the empty bar and pull ups in the frame for about half hour and won't let anyone work in. I can't get near it so I just use dumbbells.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I was so sad when I realized that Planet Fitness doesn't have a squat rack. Question for lifters: can a Smith machine substitute, even temporarily, for a squat rack, or am I just screwed? I'm working my way up to a normal barbell weight with dumbbells at the moment, but when I get there, is it time to find a new gym?

Do they have dumbbells? Goblet squats are probably a better bet than smith rack squats. The smith rack prevents a normal squatting motion, due to the fixed path of the bar.

^^What (s)he said. I've seen very few people use the Smith Machine where I go (but I go at 5:30 am).

Everyone uses the Smith machine at mine. Including a woman who alternates squatting the empty bar and pull ups in the frame for about half hour and won't let anyone work in. I can't get near it so I just use dumbbells.

You're better off using the dumbbells.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

You're better off using the dumbbells.

I agree. I have heard many people end up with injuries using the smith machine for squats and other things. could be bad form maybe. but not something I would try after hearing many of the injury stories using one.