Hope I didn't make a mistake

Options
TheRoadDog
TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
edited November 2018 in Chit-Chat
My daughters are bickering. It is threatening to screw up Christmas. Which may be our last Christmas in this area, We are retiring and moving about 1200 miles away next year. It is hurting my wife and I can't make it right. I sent the following email out two days ago to all three girls. Did I mess up?

"Your Mom spent the weekend decorating the house, wrapping presents and setting aside decorations that she won’t be taking when we move with the hopes that you guys might want them. I think Christmas is her favorite family gathering.

Though she doesn’t discuss it, I know it hurts her that you guys are at odds. I know that certain things happened this year and certain things were said that have put some walls up between you. You guys have different fathers and that might create alliances and/or division. I hope not. One thing for certain, though, is you all have the same Mother and she always put you guys first. She made sacrifices for all of you and has been and always will be there for all three of you.

You’re all young and your friendships and families are going to expand and contract over the next several years. You are going to have financial problems, relationship problems and work-related problems and your Mom will always be there for you. No matter what.

I further worry that over the next couple of decades, your Mom’s father, brothers and sisters are also going slowly disappear. Everything I do, I do for your Mom, because she is the best thing that ever happened to me, but I am older than her and won’t be able to be there with her for her entire life. By the time I am gone, it will only be you three and I want her to have your full support.

I have seen the way she is when you are all three with her. It’s those moments that make her the happiest.

I’m sorry to write this, but it’s been on my mind. I can’t fill the gap that is there when your Mom worries about you. Maybe you guys can’t reconcile. I hope that’s not the case, but you could at least fake it for your Mom.

Please don’t mention to your Mom that I sent this. If I have angered you, please remember that your Mom knows nothing of this.

I don’t want a response and I don’t want any explanations as to how this all came about.

I love you."

Replies

• kindalikevelma
    kindalikevelma Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    If my dad sent me an email like this it would really make me rethink the way I behave. I think there was an appropriate combination of “get your heads out of your *kitten*” and fatherly love. I’m not sure how old your girls are, but I can only imagine that having some sort of feud or grudge is exhausting and takes a lot of effort and emotional strain. I hope for everyone’s sake, they’re able to sort through their drama.
  • newmeadow
    newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    Whenever there's a conflict there's a culprit. Someone created the conflict and encouraged the discord. You may not know who that someone is. Or worse, you may not want to know. And they're probably still doing it.

These things don't come out of thin air. I'd leave it alone. Or let the mother get involved if she wants to since she's the mother to all of them. Sounds like the mother's staying out of it though.
  • TheRoadDog
    Options
    did they respond?

Nope
  • TheRoadDog
    Options
    denny_mac wrote: »
    It seems reasonable and thoughtful to me. Are you a biological father to any of the children? Do you have a good rapport with them overall?

I am the biological father of the youngest. She is 25. The older girls were 6 and 4 when I met my wife. They are 37 and 35 now. My wife had custody and I helped raise them. I have always had a very good relationship with all of them.

786rz0xsstwg.png
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    well written. I would just let it be now. if your wife gets the letter sent to her...so what you did something supportive in her behalf. great letter...great effort in support of your wife and their mother.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    this seems like a very thoughtful message
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    For my part, I think ya done good -- If I received this from my dad, I'd prolly be embarrassed and reevaluate what kinda dumb I'd been doing. No only does this create an opportunity for 'fake civility' around the holidays, I think it'll open everyone up for reconciliation.
  • Nicksmom106
    Nicksmom106 Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    I think you're an awesome hubby and dad...step is irrelevant if you love them all, and you doing so probably helped if anything.

I don't feel the "your fault" vibe with anything you said. I for one would put on my big girl...er... Things, and get to mom's house....for you both. But that's me and I'm no expert on anything so my question is ....do you think you did the right thing...you know these chicks best....I think you love your wife and daughters❤👍😎
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Very well put, I don't think you've done anything wrong at all
  • TheRoadDog
    Options
    I think you're an awesome hubby and dad...step is irrelevant if you love them all, and you doing so probably helped if anything.

I don't feel the "your fault" vibe with anything you said. I for one would put on my big girl...er... Things, and get to mom's house....for you both. But that's me and I'm no expert on anything so my question is ....do you think you did the right thing...you know these chicks best....I think you love your wife and daughters❤👍😎

Do I think I did the right thing? I intended to. I don't think I did any long-term damage. If they are mad at me, initially, I think time will overcome that.

It's not about me, though. It's not even about they're relationships with each other. They'll work it out or they won't. My only main concern is my wife. She loves them unconditionally and has made many sacrifices for them. I just want them to show their appreciation over the holidays.

I am frustrated that I can't do anything.

• RomaineCalm
    RomaineCalm Posts: 3,972 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »

Do I think I did the right thing? I intended to. I don't think I did any long-term damage. If they are mad at me, initially, I think time will overcome that.

It's not about me, though. It's not even about they're relationships with each other. They'll work it out or they won't. My only main concern is my wife. She loves them unconditionally and has made many sacrifices for them. I just want them to show their appreciation over the holidays.

I am frustrated that I can't do anything.

I think you are a sweet man who is trying his best to make his wife happy, and also loves his girls. The email was hopefully a wake up call to them. Please let us know how your holiday goes. I do hope they come around and set their differences aside to enjoy Christmas with her.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is a mistake to say something to them about the situation. I would pursue it slightly differently going forward though.
  • Deadman_Diggingup
    Deadman_Diggingup Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    You’ll always be a great dad and husband in my eyes RoadDog. I think it’s a good idea, and if it doesn’t work, at least you tried.