Weights ... Reps, Sets or Weight?

I have recently added weights to my exercise regimen. I started with a given weight, 15 reps and 3 sets. When that got comfortable, added 5 pounds and continued with the 15 reps and 3 sets. I am ready to increase the effort again. My question is whether it is better to add another 5 pounds, or to increase reps or weight.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Are you following an actual program?
  • sabredanny
    sabredanny Posts: 15 Member
    It depends on your routine. What is your goal, what is your routine which you are following, how much is your total volume. Adding weight or reps are both legit methods for progressive overload.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Too many variables left out in your post.

Not knowing your goal, programming, volume, other physical stress, etc...

Even knowing what lift you are trying to increase the stress is important as some lifts are better suited to change any of the following and more.

1. Increase the volume, decrease intensity, maintain frequency.
    2. Increase the volume, maintain intensity, increase frequency.
    3. Increase volume, decrease intensity, increase frequency.
  • mikedermott22
    mikedermott22 Posts: 1 Member
    If you are first starting out, and don't want things to get overly complicated, I would keep your total number of reps per set between 10 and 12. Keep doing 3 to 4 sets per exercise. As far as adding weight: IMO if you can complete 4 sets of 10-12 reps with moderate to little effort, I would add weight. It's also not a bad thing to decrease weight during a set to ensure you finish the set. This is what I was originally taught in physical ed class as perfectly acceptable rules of thumb. This "plan" got me through (healthfully) for years until I began to get more serious.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Check out programs like StrongLifts 5x5 or Starting Strength -- they are both great programs with lots of available resources to help you along.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    As a novice lifter, you should really be following an established and structured program...it will tell you everything you need to know. Doing your own thing is going to provide inefficient results and usually results in imbalances as well. The vast majority of new lifters who just do their own thing end up mostly spinning their wheels and not getting the results they are after.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

My wife started with New Rules of Lifting for Women...the program is pretty decent, but the read for a beginner female is excellent. The read alone will give you tons of information in regards to what you're doing, why you're doing it, etc. She moved onto Strong Curves after that and now works with a PT.