Looking for support

Options
Is anyone else trying to lose weight/ improve physical health, while also working towards sobriety and recovery. It feels daunting, not only to lose the weight, but also let go of my two go-to stress relievers: food and alcohol. Has anyone experienced this? Can you offer insight, hope, support, encouragement?

Replies

• Jebe75
    Jebe75 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Who doesn't 🤪😉😁
  • MrWeather_81
    MrWeather_81 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Jebe75 wrote: »
    Who doesn't 🤪😉😁

Lol
  • Jebe75
    Jebe75 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I meant regarding the 2 relievers 🤪
  • annebickle
    annebickle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    YES! Me too! I gained weight from all the empty calories in alcohol and then when I stopped drinking I gained a lot because I turned to Moose Tracks flavored ice cream for comfort. I’m trying to lose the 40 lbs I’ve gained since drinking.
  • Beatansem
    Beatansem Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi! I wasn’t really a drinker but I recently started a med for anxiety that I stopped smoking 🌿 for for the first time in years. I am realizing now I’m turning to food again for that “reliever”! I just made a post here on this forum too. Let’s be mfp pals n spread positivity and some motivation!
  • bajarrettryutp
    bajarrettryutp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That’s me! Lost about 70 lbs 6 years ago on Ww and stopped drinking. Gained it back😞. I will get back in control in 2019!
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,438 Member
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10713956/ultimate-accountability-challenge-uac-january-2019#latest is a great month-by-month way to build up general self-awareness and accountability habits.

Take a read of the descriptions and testimonials, and follow the link there to join the group if it looks like it would suit. It can work for ANY activity level or type, personal eating plan, and where you are in your journey (barely beginning through keeping on track for maintenance).

You will never be "out of the challenge" As will be explained in the FAQs at this link, if you "use all 3 of your passes" your name won't be on the virtual Winner's Circle for the month, but you WILL be supported and encouraged to carry on with practicing the accountability steps. Those that keep on reports and try again the next month are the true winners of this challenge. I have just finished my 3rd month, and will be back there again in January. Hope to see some of you there.

For the alcohol aspect, I know I have seen a thread that exists around accountability for that. Try searching under both Challenges and Groups (I am not sure which it is under) with the keyword "alcohol". It MIGHT be set up as a rolling Monthy Challenge.

No reason why you couldn't join both!
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,438 Member
    Options
    I found 2 threads for you:

Both are currently near the top of the “Challenges” board.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10714172/less-alcohol-january-2019-one-day-at-a-time#latest

This has lots of links and information on the opening post. Going by the name, it probably rolls over monthly.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10688061/the-sober-squad-alcohol-free-living/p67

Started in August and still going strong. More of an ongoing supportive, judgement-free zone to mutually encourage an acohol-free (AF) life.

Hopefully one or other (or both) will help provide the online support you are looking for.