Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    For our new friends... Stop Drinking Expert Craig Beck has some shocking brutal truthful videos to watch. He has a lot of them. My favorites are these older ones, not so polished, but increasingly powerful. This one is 10 min. Long. He says alcohol is a Devious insidious drug that makes you think it solves your problems, but you have problems because alcohol put them there in the first place. Again, I’m gearing up for NYE.
    https://youtu.be/00DIsrRELb4
  • islandbeez
    islandbeez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    https://www.amazon.com/Unexpected-Joy-Being-Sober-alcohol-free/dp/1912023385

Recommending this Catherine Gray book again now that it's available here in the states, finally. It has some good techniques for staying happy in sobriety even with a booming social calendar. Although I definitely could not identify with that part' :D it's a well written and relatable book. She has a workbook either out already or out soon to go with it.

I read it over the summer and was thinking of you, Ruby, with your colleagues, friends and neighbors all drinking around you. My husband has been AF for 2 1/2 years and it's no secret how sick he was from drinking, so nobody in our social situations make an issue out of me not having "just one drink". I've got it very easy in that department.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Wow @salleewins that was eye opening. I used to hear from the dr. "have you EVER smoked?" (yes) and I knew that can have health implications down the road but I didn't even think about that with booze. For those of us struggling, we are all in this together. Let's give a warm welcome to all our new members sure to show up in January.
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    That wolf is always waiting like you say Ruby......Thanks for that analogy. I always use it.
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    Sometimes my thought pattern is this “Well, he drinks a lot and he still looks healthy. Nothing seems to be wrong with him.” I sometimes ponder that it seems like “everyone” around me is drinking and seems to have no ill effects. I think “why am i working so hard to not drink when everyone else is having fun. “

But then I tell myself to worry about myself, stop judging others, drinking makes you depressed, anxious and overweight. It’s really a mind game. Last night, I went with a friend to a bar. She was quite buzzed because we left a party and she had a few. I was driving. She was repeating herself - same old stories. I was tempted for one second to have a drink and she said to me “you can have ONE drink, c’mon”. But I said to myself “What is the point? I will just feel like sh*# tomorrow and regret it.” I dropped her off at home and curled up with a book and some tea. One day at a time.

I used to reason the same way and it IS a mind game, how things "seem" isn't often how things are and the "fun" is mostly a facade Thanks for the Craig Beck video above. He makes such good points and strips away the B.S. about alcohol. Your reasoning with yourself was spot on, "What is the point?"