Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Interesting Thoughts on "Ghosts"

Options
Packerjohn
Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
edited December 2018 in Debate Club
Interesting blog post I saw.

You need a ghost. And you need to be afraid of it.

Oh, I know. You ain't scared of nothing, and you still have that "No Fear" shirt from the 1990's to prove it. But I also know that every successful person, in any field, has a ghost or two that haunts them.

A "ghost" is something that follows you around your whole life, nudging you. While you may not exactly be afraid of it, it does worry and weigh on you:

The fear of being broke ghost.
The fear of disappointing those you love ghost.
The fear of becoming your father (or mother, or that bad coach you had once) ghost.
The fear of not accomplishing what you KNOW you're capable of accomplishing ghost.
The fear that your haters are right ghost.

In the health and fitness area, maybe these ghosts look different:

The fear of getting fat (again) ghost.
The fear of being weak ghost.
The fear of not being able to take care of yourself when you get old ghost.
The fear of getting naked in front of someone new ghost.
The fear of swimsuit season ghost.
The fear of getting an easily preventable disease ghost.
The fear of getting gassed when walking up a flight of stairs ghost.
The fear of having toddler arms ghost.
The fear of coming in last place ghost.
The fear of getting an old-man *kitten* ghost.
These ghosts get us out of bed for a morning workout when we'd rather sleep in. They make us work a little harder, be a little more disciplined with our diets, and take a LOT more responsibility in our lives. They "scare" us in the right direction.

It's true, some people probably don't have ghosts. And they're probably *kitten* losers

The fear of not being able to take care of myself when I get old is probably my biggest ghost.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Fear or ghosts don't motivate me in terms of fitness and health. What pushes me, wanting to reach certain goals. And if I don't.. well.. I still end up doing fine so sometimes it's hard to be motivated when doing things half way still gets great results.

But I am scared of things I have no control over. That is terrifying to me.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    So many of the things on that list are really counter-productive, especially depending on how much someone worries about them. I also agree criticism about with calling people who don't have xyz "ghosts" (which I think is a really odd way of phrasing that - it doesn't really convey meaning very well) losers.

I could easily say, "some people don't have anxiety - they're probably [enter swear word here] losers" and it would be pretty unproductive, close minded, and inaccurate.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Interesting idea about motivation. I disagree that people who are not motivated by some fear are losers. I think motivation and success can come from positive mental places too.

When I got really serious about taking care of myself it was out of love not fear. I came to a point where I realized I wasn't going down the path I wanted, wasn't feeling good and I deserved better. I don't think that felt like a haunting but an affirmation maybe?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I have a conscience that nags me if I am not behaving at my best. Not sure I would call it a "ghost" or make it sound so negative or dire.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I was with that right until the part where it called people losers.

It's not that people who aren't addressing issues don't have "ghosts", it's that they have larger issues holding them back from confronting their fear.

Calling them a loser for having issues is counter-productive and mean spirited, imo.

My ghost is my arthritis.

I've read a few articles from this guy, he has a tough love writing style.

He could have easily substituted "motivation", "reason" or "a why" for ghosts and success for loser. I think that would just made this one of those "oh you have to have a some motivation if you are to succeed at something" articles. Yeah no kidding.

IMO his terms make it stand out.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    In my undergrad days I sat outside a marketing course before one of my molecular bio courses and I distinctly remember one lecture on fear.

The professor boiled all of sales to one concept - that you must identify not a need or want in a consumer, but fear.
    All of sales and marketing is based upon a single principle - fear. A fear of not meeting expectations with your peers without that new car, new suit, new shoes. A fear of presenting yourself in anything but perfection. Fear of aging. Fear of poverty. Fear of being alone. Fear of social exclusion. Fear of disappointment. Fear of disappointing others. Fear of not being prepared. Fear of death. Fear of failure. Fear of success. Fear of change.

A rather bleak and singular view on life, but extremely effective. Being honest if we drill down the Why deep enough it often lands in fear.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,078 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    In my undergrad days I sat outside a marketing course before one of my molecular bio courses and I distinctly remember one lecture on fear.

The professor boiled all of sales to one concept - that you must identify not a need or want in a consumer, but fear.
    All of sales and marketing is based upon a single principle - fear. A fear of not meeting expectations with your peers without that new car, new suit, new shoes. A fear of presenting yourself in anything but perfection. Fear of aging. Fear of poverty. Fear of being alone. Fear of social exclusion. Fear of disappointment. Fear of disappointing others. Fear of not being prepared. Fear of death. Fear of failure. Fear of success. Fear of change.

A rather bleak and singular view on life, but extremely effective. Being honest if we drill down the Why deep enough it often lands in fear.

I sat inside multiple marketing courses when I was temporarily in MBA school (a sub-elite but decent-ish one). Fear was not treated as central.

If I could boil down the central thought in semi-cynical form, it was "figure out what people deeply, secretly, and perhaps guiltily want, make it affordable and easily available, and advertise it as if it's good for them, high status, virtuous, excellent, aspirational." Often, the subtext was sexual, and the marketing profs tended to like me because - in contrast to fellow students mostly a decade younger - I was always willing to say that s-word out loud. (I'm uncertain whether this was because they were young and shy, or because I'd come of age in the sybaritic 60s/70s).

There were bonus points if you could figure out which segment of the market was the 20% who consumed 80% of the product, and make them feel good about choosing your product. For example, I remember a prof gushing about a campaign whose tag line was something like "the beer to have, when you're having more than one".

Fear is touchy, in marketing. You really don't want too go too far into making people feel icky. Maybe flirt with it, but don't go steady.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    ...When I feel held back from trying certain things I'd like to do, the reason is almost always fear of bad results (not in a life-threatening or costly way, necessarily, just results that wouldn't soothe my ego: for example, it happens with some art projects; and I've heard others use fear excuses not to take art/craft classes they claim they'd like to take (" . . . but I wouldn't be any good at that.").

Since figuring that out, I've really worked at thinking "what's the worst that could happen?" and going for it, full on. For me, this - which kind of the opposite of fear motivation in the OP's sense - does make life more scary, but a lot more fun...
    I actually enjoy that ‘fear’ of trying something new that I’m unfamiliar with/not proficient at. It can be exhilarating and, as you said, makes life a lot more fun.

I’ve always enjoyed competition and have competed in a lot of different sports, from childhood to all through adulthood. With that said, I’ve never been a top-tier athlete, so finishing last doesn’t bother or scare me in the least - it just gives me fuel to try to improve (mostly against myself). I’m usually a “middle of the pack” athlete - not last and not first, but probably closer to last than first, lol. But regardless of where I finish, I still enjoy the rush/buzz of competing.

As far as the “fear factor” in marketing, I guess I have the luxury of being old enough not to care much about what other people think, or to feel like I’m missing out on something, so that angle doesn’t work very well on me, lol. I’ve also always been more likely to buck pop culture trends/fads rather than follow them.
  • twatson4936
    twatson4936 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Brooks Ghosts I run in, does that count? :smiley:
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I somewhat recently saw the play Ghosts (English translation of an Ibsen title).

Btw, Ghosts premiered in Chicago of all places. Ibsen disliked the English version of the title, which had a different connotation in Norwegian, apparently. I saw it around Halloween and someone asked me what I was seeing and I said Ghosts and she said "sounds fun!" thinking it was Halloween-y, and I said "not really, it's a huge downer."

Oh, is that a digression?
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

^^ THIS ^^^ ALL of this!!

It takes dedication and focus to look past the pretty packaging, clever gimmicks, witty advertisements and flashing blue light specials to see that the whole message is based on creating a fear in the mind of the viewer that can be assuaged by acquiring whatever it is that is being sold.

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I see actual ghosts, so I was very bummed to see that this wasn't that kind of ghost thread. 😕
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    I see actual ghosts, so I was very bummed to see that this wasn't that kind of ghost thread. 😕

I'll admit I opened this thread hoping for a nice debate on ghosts, lol.