My waist is not getting smaller?

Options

Replies

• jodienovell
    jodienovell Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    nexangelus wrote: »
    Ok, let's be real for a minute here. The fat did not magically pile on your body overnight. In order for a body to accumulate fat, it needs to be fed and excess of calories over a long period of time. In order for it to shift, be lost, move, be used up (or whatever the scientific principle behind fat loss is), for your waist to get smaller you need to eat less over time...OVER TIME...it will not immediately up and be gone just as it did not pile on immediately...

Patience padawan/young grasshopper, etc...

Or else take up heavy lifting and make some muscle...or maybe invest in some talk therapy (if you are a healthy weight for your height, is that not good enough?!)

no, it's not enough.

Do you lift?

I haven't been to the gym in 2 weeks but I mean.. kinda? I do gym but not free lifting
  • jodienovell
    Options
    poisonesse wrote: »
    Just curious here... but when's the last time you had a check up and a heart to heart with your doctor? Make sure there's not an underlying reason for that stomach weight. And not everyone can ever develop an hourglass shape, some of us simply have a different body build. But if you're carrying excess fat, no matter where you're losing it from, you're still losing. Sooner or later, it will come off your waistline, too.
    Personally, I do know that when I'm carrying too much fluid, my waist grows BIG time.

I had a health check up a few months ago and everything is fine
  • jodienovell
    Options
    nexangelus wrote: »
    Ok, let's be real for a minute here. The fat did not magically pile on your body overnight. In order for a body to accumulate fat, it needs to be fed and excess of calories over a long period of time. In order for it to shift, be lost, move, be used up (or whatever the scientific principle behind fat loss is), for your waist to get smaller you need to eat less over time...OVER TIME...it will not immediately up and be gone just as it did not pile on immediately...

Patience padawan/young grasshopper, etc...

Or else take up heavy lifting and make some muscle...or maybe invest in some talk therapy (if you are a healthy weight for your height, is that not good enough?!)

no, it's not enough.

Do you lift?

I haven't been to the gym in 2 weeks but I mean.. kinda? I do gym but not free lifting

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

But really, you need to see your doctor.

I'm finnish, we have no personal doctors.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    The last time I lost weight my waist size reduced quite quickly I was very pleased. This time it has not moved much.

The only difference between my two efforts was the last time I was lifting heavy at the gym. This time I am not due to health issues.

Lifting is really good for your core muscles which act a bit like a corset so a strong core can firm up your waistline and that could show on the tape measure.

What size do you think your waist should be?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I just saw your stats, I would recommend recomp if you are not happy with your body composition. For reference I am a bit shorter than you but weigh around the same, lifting and muscle makes a huge difference.

ETA: sorry I was referring to your goal weight. In any case, maybe think about a very small deficit and adding some resistance training in.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    That's basically it. I've been told that it's pretty much impossible that I could be losing weight consistently but not losing any fat? It can't be water weight at this point? I've gone from 69~ kg to 65kg in a few months and my waist has gone from ******** 78 to 77.5!!!!! WHAT?! I just. Don't get it? What am I doing wrong? Do I need to exercise 5x a week? Do I need to eat less than 1500 calories in a day? What is going on? There's no point in losing weight anymore if my waist won't get smaller :( That's the part I'm the MOST insecure about. If it won't get smaller in the next 2 months I'll just quit completely, at that point it's completely useless.

If you are losing weight consistently, you will lose fat. You don't say if you are overweight or just wanting to get to a lower weight within a healthy range, but the reality is fat comes off in a genetically determined pattern, so that when you lose weight it may not reduce the size of a particular body part until later in the process, as your fat may come off other places first.

Quitting completely because you're not getting what you want when you want sounds like self-sabotage.

im not overweight, not according to BMI at least. Its something around 22, I'm 173cm. I KNOW it's basically self sabotage but.. I just hate it so much. I can't wear anything nice because I feel so fat specifically because of my stomach. If it doesn't start getting smaller,, well I don't know. I will probably get surgery on it at some point. I just need to get rid of it. My body fat percentage is genuinely quite high, I've gotten the test done. I'm willing to do pretty much anything to lose the fat.
    That's basically it. I've been told that it's pretty much impossible that I could be losing weight consistently but not losing any fat? It can't be water weight at this point? I've gone from 69~ kg to 65kg in a few months and my waist has gone from ******** 78 to 77.5!!!!! WHAT?! I just. Don't get it? What am I doing wrong? Do I need to exercise 5x a week? Do I need to eat less than 1500 calories in a day? What is going on? There's no point in losing weight anymore if my waist won't get smaller :( That's the part I'm the MOST insecure about. If it won't get smaller in the next 2 months I'll just quit completely, at that point it's completely useless.

So it has got smaller... just not as much smaller as you'd like.

You can't pick where the fat comes off, how tall are you and what's your goal weight?

If you quit, it definitely won't get any smaller...

173, 60kg. Or I try to keep it at 60. Truth be told I would love to be 50kg but I know it's too low, so if 60 succeeds I will probably go for 55

For anyone not used to metric (and for OP on the BMI number), OP is 5'9" and currently 132 lbs (which is a BMI of 19.4, not 22 -- i.e., lower end of healthy BMI for OP's height, not middle range), and OP would love to go for 110 lbs (BMI = 16.1, significantly underweight) but will probably go for 121 lbs (BMI = 17.8, slightly underweight).

Waist to height ratio is .44, i.e., already healthy.

I believe 60kg is her goal weight, she is currently 65kg. I thought 173cm is just around 5'8?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    rainbowblu wrote: »
    When I lower my carbs/Sugar and Walk a LOT,my waist shrinks the fastest..low impact exercise and lower carbs helps me...try that for a bit,and see if it helps.

when you lower your carbs and sugar you lose water weight,not fat. fat is lost in a deficit. doesnt matter if you restrict carbs or not.you dont lose fat any faster,water weight yes.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

So it has got smaller... just not as much smaller as you'd like.

You can't pick where the fat comes off, how tall are you and what's your goal weight?

If you quit, it definitely won't get any smaller...

173, 60kg. Or I try to keep it at 60. Truth be told I would love to be 50kg but I know it's too low, so if 60 succeeds I will probably go for 55

Are you doing any weight training? A lot of times losing weight just results in a smaller version of the original you. You can lose weight but not see a change in your body shape, especially if you're not doing any resistance-training, which can help reduce body fat without further weight reduction, and can make a difference in your shape. Do look into recomposition (reducing fat while maintaining weight, there are a number of excellent threads about it, just do a search), I think that's really what you are looking for.

You are setting yourself up for failure by having achieved a healthy body weight but continually setting yourself a lower goal so that your never get to experience your success. And potentially disordered eating and body dysmorphia issues.

I appreciate the advice and recomp seems to be the way to go. But I don't give a damn about potential disordered eating habits or other issues. Trust me, I've gone through that before and I'll rather suffer with those for the rest of my life than look like this.

The fact that you're saying that suggests you need to step away from the scales and the measuring tape and contact your treatment team again.

I never had a treatment team. My attention simply shifted away from my weight to other things due to a getting hit by a car so that was on my mind a lot. I was never treated nor was I ever underweight. I definitely did have issues though. And again, I appreciate it but I don't care.

This is sad.