My waist is not getting smaller?

Options
That's basically it. I've been told that it's pretty much impossible that I could be losing weight consistently but not losing any fat? It can't be water weight at this point? I've gone from 69~ kg to 65kg in a few months and my waist has gone from ******** 78 to 77.5!!!!! WHAT?! I just. Don't get it? What am I doing wrong? Do I need to exercise 5x a week? Do I need to eat less than 1500 calories in a day? What is going on? There's no point in losing weight anymore if my waist won't get smaller :( That's the part I'm the MOST insecure about. If it won't get smaller in the next 2 months I'll just quit completely, at that point it's completely useless.

Replies

• jodienovell
    jodienovell Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    That's basically it. I've been told that it's pretty much impossible that I could be losing weight consistently but not losing any fat? It can't be water weight at this point? I've gone from 69~ kg to 65kg in a few months and my waist has gone from ******** 78 to 77.5!!!!! WHAT?! I just. Don't get it? What am I doing wrong? Do I need to exercise 5x a week? Do I need to eat less than 1500 calories in a day? What is going on? There's no point in losing weight anymore if my waist won't get smaller :( That's the part I'm the MOST insecure about. If it won't get smaller in the next 2 months I'll just quit completely, at that point it's completely useless.

So it has got smaller... just not as much smaller as you'd like.

You can't pick where the fat comes off, how tall are you and what's your goal weight?

If you quit, it definitely won't get any smaller...

173, 60kg. Or I try to keep it at 60. Truth be told I would love to be 50kg but I know it's too low, so if 60 succeeds I will probably go for 55
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    OP - take pictures (same posture, same clothes (if any), same time of the month.
    Also ensure you are measuring actually and consistently with your tape measure.

Most importantly be patient, you have a lifetime ahead of you, if you give up you will regret it.
  • jodienovell
    jodienovell Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    nexangelus wrote: »
    Ok, let's be real for a minute here. The fat did not magically pile on your body overnight. In order for a body to accumulate fat, it needs to be fed and excess of calories over a long period of time. In order for it to shift, be lost, move, be used up (or whatever the scientific principle behind fat loss is), for your waist to get smaller you need to eat less over time...OVER TIME...it will not immediately up and be gone just as it did not pile on immediately...

Patience padawan/young grasshopper, etc...

Or else take up heavy lifting and make some muscle...or maybe invest in some talk therapy (if you are a healthy weight for your height, is that not good enough?!)

no, it's not enough.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    nexangelus wrote: »
    Ok, let's be real for a minute here. The fat did not magically pile on your body overnight. In order for a body to accumulate fat, it needs to be fed and excess of calories over a long period of time. In order for it to shift, be lost, move, be used up (or whatever the scientific principle behind fat loss is), for your waist to get smaller you need to eat less over time...OVER TIME...it will not immediately up and be gone just as it did not pile on immediately...

Patience padawan/young grasshopper, etc...

Or else take up heavy lifting and make some muscle...or maybe invest in some talk therapy (if you are a healthy weight for your height, is that not good enough?!)

no, it's not enough.

Do you lift?
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Just curious here... but when's the last time you had a check up and a heart to heart with your doctor? Make sure there's not an underlying reason for that stomach weight. And not everyone can ever develop an hourglass shape, some of us simply have a different body build. But if you're carrying excess fat, no matter where you're losing it from, you're still losing. Sooner or later, it will come off your waistline, too.
    Personally, I do know that when I'm carrying too much fluid, my waist grows BIG time.