What food/drink did you love when you were a child, but can't stomach now?

Replies

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    The abomination that is American "cheese", strawberry milk, kashi (tears up my stomach), oatmeal (unfortunately, can't tolerate GI-wise..nothing against taste/texture), and pretty much any sugar laden garbage "snacks" or candies
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    edited December 2018
    I used to drink a bunch of Yoo-hoo as a kid, but it tastes like liquid cardboard. Not sure what I was thinking other than being happy to drink some sort of chocolate milk. :D
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Luv2eatSweets Posts: 221 Member
    Revels candy, chocolate eclairs candies, Lord Toffingham ice cream bar, walnut whips, fried bread with egg, shepherds pie.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Anything super sugary, as someone mentioned (just can't)... Regular ol' milk (srsly, I'd drink that *kitten* so often)... Cheese and mayonnaise sandwiches. I mean, SLATHERED, falling out of the sandwich, mayonnaise as a main ingredient.

Don't judge me. We weren't watched as kids, I had so many bad food habits from taking care of myself. .___.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,636 Member
    There is a cheese spread served on bread at one of my favorite restaurants https://clearmansrestaurants.com/northwoods-inn/
    I was nuts about it as a kid.
    Recently I had it again and thought "Meh, it tastes like there's mayonnaise in it"
    Although maybe they changed the recipe?
    This is supposedly the recipe - maybe this recipe is better than what they serve now in the restaurant.
    https://www.jamhands.net/2008/04/daily-recipe-north-woods-inn-garlic.html
    The restaurant also serves red cabbage salad, which I used to love. When I last had it, it seemed more oily and less tangy than I remembered.
  • Jadesfire93
    Jadesfire93 Posts: 92 Member
    Spaghettios. Any variation is just sickly sweet to me now.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    As a child, my favorite bedtime snack was chocolate milk alongside a good-sized hunk of peeled cucumber. I still love cucumber unreasonably much, but rarely drink chocolate milk (offered, I could take it or leave it). I don't eat them side by side, but the idea doesn't totally gag me.

Another thing I liked was those frozen breaded fish sticks, still frozen (don't panic; they're pre-cooked). I can't imagine enjoying them that way now. (Although I'm vegetarian now, that's not why I wouldn't like them.) Yikes!

I also remember eating Milk Bone dog biscuits, but that was more an experiment than an actual eating preference. Not that tasty, as I recall.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Cap'n crunch.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Eggo Waffles and Pop Tarts.
  • lililomo2
    lililomo2 Posts: 250 Member
    orange crush. cringeworthy now. and rainbow icecream with bubble gum in it. the thought of all that sugar just makes my teeth vibrate
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    I think a lot of these items were what we were told we should like as kids of the 80s or 90s. All the advertising made it seem like not having these foods meant you were a loser with a poor lunch. I've gone back and checked nutritional info on a bunch of things.. and it's bad. Just look at any extreme burgers, pizzas, fried on the go foods we ate. No wonder people like me have weight issues. Even the fruit drinks back then were just softdrinks in disguise. Sunny D, Bunnybread, most Kraft things at kid-height.. our cereals, which of course needed a metric ton of sugar, marshmallows, and chocolate. IF you want to have a lifetime sugar addict, that's how you could do it. Fruit roll ups, gushers, sourblasters, etc etc etc.

WATERMELON. THEY AREN'T THE SAME AS THE ONES THAT HAD SEEDS. NOT AS SWEET AND HAVE TO PICK ALL THOSE LITTLE SEED SHELLS OUT. I DON'T LIKE EATING THEM. AND JELLO. I FOUND OUT WHAT IT WAS. AND LET ME NOT FORGET GRAPE KOOL-AID. THANKS TO JIM JONES.

That wasn't kool-aid brand if I remember right.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Kool aid - I don’t know how I drank it.
    🤷🏼‍♀️
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Milk is gross. I drank so much milk as a kid. Makes me nauseous just thinking about it.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    lkpducky wrote: »
    There is a cheese spread served on bread at one of my favorite restaurants https://clearmansrestaurants.com/northwoods-inn/
    I was nuts about it as a kid.
    Recently I had it again and thought "Meh, it tastes like there's mayonnaise in it"
    Although maybe they changed the recipe?
    This is supposedly the recipe - maybe this recipe is better than what they serve now in the restaurant.
    https://www.jamhands.net/2008/04/daily-recipe-north-woods-inn-garlic.html
    The restaurant also serves red cabbage salad, which I used to love. When I last had it, it seemed more oily and less tangy than I remembered.

Whoa! I was JUST talking about the red cabbage salad and cheese bread the other day. It was the the only way I'd eat red cabbage. It's been forever since I've been there tho.
  • MeganReid1991
    MeganReid1991 Posts: 170 Member
    Pizza pop!!!!! I loved them as a kid & cant stand them now, the little white chunk of ‘cheese’ eww
    White bread! Loved it then now I hate it and can only eat whole wheat.
    Also just juice in general. Sense I’ve started only drinking water & coffee. Apple juice tastes pretty gross to me. Once in a blue moon I’ll have a ice tea or lemonade as a treat but that’s pretty rare.
    Never really liked pop.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Lunchables