Keto didn't work

Options

Replies

• MercifulRelease
    MercifulRelease Posts: 4 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Without knowing exactly what your circumstances and what your approach has been, it's almost impossible to suggest why it may not be working for you. For example, how much weight you have to lose, whether you've tested to see if you're in ketosis, if you're eating at a calorie deficit, whether you have health problems, etc, etc. All these are relevant.

However, as many others have said, the simple advice is track your macros, and make sure you're eating at a moderate calorie deficit. So long as you're doing these things - don't pay too much attention to the scale. (I don't weigh myself more than once per month as the water fluctuations on keto can be significant.)

Finally, if you're unsure of what your macros should be, try Googling for the Ruled.me Keto Calculator.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,797 Member
    Options
    Keto worked great for me with ketomist spray that kept my hunger in check. I lost massive amounts in no time flat, about 40 pounds in two months, but as soon as I finished the diet the weight came back on over the next four months. So frustrating. This week I signed up to work with a naturopath who will look at many factors, my gut health, my dna with insulin resistance, etc. to help me find a permanent solution. I don't want to be on a diet for my whole life like my Mom. I want to understand my body better and know what patterns of eating and exercising are right for me to live long and healthy. I wish the same for you.

Had never heard of it, so I looked it up. It's HCG. No bueno.

Please, Allison, reconsider going to that naturopath. I see a lot more scams in your future if you go this route. Like unnecessary, bogus and expensive 'lab tests' with 'results' that will 'prove' you have all sorts of imaginary and non-medical 'gut health' issues/allergies for which only the naturopath knows sells the cure.

Please run. Fast and far away. <3

FIFY :)

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    if you've been doing keto and your not losing weight, your doing it wrong.

Ket is all about extreme diet, ive done it before and if you do it right it gives amazing results. I've noticed however when you do not follow it strictly, it tends to lose a lot of it's effectiveness.

If you can post here what you ate during that time (honestly), and how much people can give advice

Along with what @janejellyroll said, if a person doesn't "follow it strictly" by going over on their carbs some days, they are likely to experience large water weight swings that can give the impression that it's not working. Actually, if a person is in a calorie deficit, they are still losing fat, but it is being masked by big shifts in water weight. Each gram of carbs holds something like 3g of water, so when you slash your carbs, you lose a lot of extra water, and when you have a sudden spike in carbs, you have a sudden spike in water. This is why many on a low-carb diet are under the impression that carbs make them fat- because the scale responds rather aggressively when they increase their carbs.

Yup! Water weight fluctuations =/= fat weight fluctuations.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Ahanaz wrote: »

What everyone needs to keep in mind *always* is that weight loss is determined solely by eating less calories than you burn in a day, regardless of the method anyone chooses to accomplish that.

Shortening quote to save space...

@snickerscharlie If only the body actually worked as simple as that. But it doesn't, and all doesn't work the same, and all can't do the same.

I have a friend who eats the same thing every day 5-6 times per day. He has no issues with it, as it takes away the element of having to log, and count calories. By doing this he knows exactly in both cals and macros how much he consumes in a day.

I however get bored of a food if I have it more than a couple of times a month. I just can't do it.

If everyone worked the same, and if the body was less complex than it is, this image and message you posted would be correct. But then again, no-one would have any issues EVER to lose weight. But that's not the truth now, is it?

Nobody is saying keto isn't a valid option for people who prefer to eat that way. The push-back is for the claims that it will work as long as you do it right, and that it has an advantage over other ways of creating a deficit.

Earlier in the thread I posed this question:

If you [general you] believe that staying strictly in ketosis or strictly adhering to any other way of eating creates an advantage in fat loss, in the sense that energy balance (CICO) is not applicable to your diet, do you also believe that a person can maintain their weight in a consistent calorie deficit or surplus?