When to stop counting calories?

Options
Alright, so for the past two days I have eaten whatever junk food has come my way. I work in a cafe so that means frappucino's, scones, panini's, cookies, brownies, definitely not low cal stuff. However I'm actually under my goal weight and realized I need to gain back a few pounds. I know this is not the healthiest way to do it, it's just what happened this past weekend. I let myself be free with food for the first time in the past year since losing all the weight.

But now, as I've finished this binge and feel fulfilled in a sense, I realize I don't want to keep counting.

I want to live.

The problem is, I don't know if I really know how. I know how to gain weight, obviously. I know how to lose weight. But maintaining is a foreign concept to me. Even as I've tried to maintain using this website, it doesn't really work. Because I keep having that mindset when I look at the number I feel like it needs to be lower. I realize that's not a happy mindset and I want to change that. My basic question is, how did the people who lost all the weight successfully maintain after?

I gotta believe there's enough will out there to be able to do it without counting for the rest of your life. Because while this is an extremely effective tool, I don't want to see myself relying on it forever.

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I've already accepted the fact that I'm going to use MFP to count calories and macros the rest of my life. Without it, I know I'll NEVER be able to eyeball calories well enough to maintain, or take in optimal macronutrient intake and calorie intake. I find MFP not only extremely effective, but very very easy to use. Entering food takes only a couple minutes a day, and it's not a big deal to me, but everybody is different.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I've already accepted the fact that I'm going to use MFP to count calories and macros the rest of my life. Without it, I know I'll NEVER be able to eyeball calories well enough to maintain, or take in optimal macronutrient intake and calorie intake. I find MFP not only extremely effective, but very very easy to use. Entering food takes only a couple minutes a day, and it's not a big deal to me, but everybody is different.

+1

I actually like it.
  • Grace4DebraAnn
    Grace4DebraAnn Posts: 124 Member
    Options

I completely agree, MFP is totally amazing. You MUST be accountable for everything you put into your body. Losing weight is not about a diet, it is a total lifestyle change. Exercise is equally important, don't foret to incorporate that into the mix. Don't let a bad day or week ruin all that you have done. Tomorrow is a new day, get back on track and you will be successful. You are so worth it!!!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Interesting, I never considered when to stop and don't think I ever want to either. Counting calories here is so friggin' easy. Why quit if it works?
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I'm not at maintenance yet and I see myself counting on maintenance. However, how about using the scale or your measurements as your guide? Weigh yourself every week or measure yourself every month. Set yourself a range you want to stay within and if you begin approaching either end of that range, you know what to do to adjust.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Read the book "how to have your cake and skinny jeans too" by Josie Spinardi. I cannot recommend it enough. It totally changed my life and I finally feel like I can trust my body to tell me what it needs.

Most people who lose weight don't successfully maintain, that's the problem.
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, but I found out that maintaining weight without tracking is a lot harder that it sounds. At one point during my recent extended plateau, I decided to give my mind and body a break and just maintain for a bit instead of trying to lose. I made the decision that I would try to do it without counting calories. What I found out is that it really isn't a matter of willpower -- it's kind of hard to explain. I was earnestly trying to only eat reasonable, healthy things most of the time and only eat when I was hungry and only until I was full. I didn't have a battle of willpower with myself over things -- I had an occasional treat and didn't worry about it. I never once sat there and said "I know I shouldn't have those oreos, but I'm going to anyway" or "this is probably too much food, but I'm going to eat all of it anyway because I really want it." It was more of my mind playing tricks on me, like I just didn't realize that I was eating that much. I think it's that those of us that have trouble with keeping our weight down often have a distorted view of food that may never be resolved even after we learn healthier habits. Our idea of reasonable portions will start to slowly get bigger if we don't weigh and measure. Our perception of how calorie-filled a meal is or how much food we've eaten in a day will get steadily more and more out of proportion to reality if we don't take the time to check actual numbers. Our notion of what an "occasional treat" is will get more and more frequent if we aren't being forced to fit it into a meal plan. What I found trying to eat this way is that I started to slowly put a few pounds back on (this was after over a year of maintaining in my plateau) and, when I forced myself to simply track what I was eating, I had somehow crept over what I should have been eating by 300-400 calories a day. Not a huge amount, but enough to start adding up over time.

I am planning to count my calories for the rest of my life. I'm not planning to be obsessed with my weight for the rest of my life. I'm taking the attitude that being aware of what I'm eating is simply part of my overall health plan. It's just something that I do, like taking my blood pressure medication or going to the doctor when I'm sick.

TL;DR: I tried not counting, it didn't work, I'm planning to count forever, but not obsess over it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I lost 20+ LBS about 10 or so years ago. I stopped counting, but kept the principles that worked for me (clean, low glycemic eating) in my mind. If the scale bumped up more than a few pounds, I'd count again, look up the new foods I'd discovered, etc, until I felt things were calibrated, then stopped. It worked for me. I did not want to count daily for the rest of my life. Each person is different, of course.

(I'm counting again now because I'm going through menopause and need to get a handle on the new me)
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    You need to learn balance. Too much losing gaining up and down in your write up.
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    There are people who go their whole lives without tracking/worrying about calories, and maintain a healthy lifestyle(or at least a healthy weight). I am sad that I am not one of them but know that ending up here in the first place means I will have to track forever. If I let things get out of control more than once already I probably would again if I stopped.

I don't think mfp turns us into those effortless, carefree people, but rather lets us hide among them.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I don't know whether I'll count forever or not.....but what I do know at least for now, I must remain conscious of what I eat and what my body really needs. It will change as well as I grow older, stronger, etc.

It's a great tool!!
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    There's a 95% failure rate for long term weight loss success (more than 5 years). The reality is, most people who lose the weight will gain it back within a few months or years. Keeping a food diary is one tool that can help you beat the odds. If you're burned out, then why not track 2-3 days a week, instead of every day?
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    After a couple of years on maintenance I allow myself a day or two of not logging each week, but that's all.

You've worked so hard to lose the weight, don't get lazy now.

Guesstimating is what gets you to have to come here in the first place.

Do the work, reap the rewards. Don't and, well, as has been posted, factual evidence about regaining weight does not look favorable for you. Maybe you will get lucky, but why take that chance, especially with a tendency toward binge eating and the easy availability of too many indulgences?
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I'll probably count forever. If not on here then I'll track somehow. I don't plan on gaining again and it will hapen if I don't hold myself accountable.
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    NEVER. I stopped logging this summer. Learned that was not a good plan despite the fact I have maintained for 2 1/2 years. Promptly put on 10 pounds in short order. Now I'm back on track and on my way to getting back to goal weight. Will continue to log to hold myself accountable.
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'm going to log and weigh in daily. I think it will help me to stay on track. I maintained a 120 lb weight loss for 10 years and then allowed myself to regain 50 lbs. Now, I'm at my goal and I have no intentions of going back. I know for me, I need these tools. I need them to help me figure out how much I can eat and maintain. Its hard to figure that out and at least I will have instant feedback with the scale.
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    How about instead of just not using MFP at all, cut back how much you use it? Use the scale, and if your weight starts going up, count calories for a few days to get yourself back on track. Maybe come up with a 3:4 thing, where you track three days a week and not the other four, or something.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options

Amen. Again I say, Amen. I would also like to add, if the thought of logging the rest of your life is daunting, just commit to yourself you will do it for one year. No matter what. To me, there is a list of small steps I do every day to be my best - weigh in, brush my teeth, eat on plan, and log. I log my activity as well. Add that to drinking water and always being keeping my posture in check.

I have read a lot of science, bro science and common sense on how to maintain a healthy weight. The one thing that seems to work is logging and commiting to a maintaince plan. Whatever your plan is, commit to it. Logging is my # 1 commitment to my health.
  • Pixie90
    Pixie90 Posts: 11
    Options
    Even if I don't use MFP I count calories naturally in my head as I've been using it for so long.. is that a good thing?