When to stop counting calories?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm not at maintenance yet and I see myself counting on maintenance. However, how about using the scale or your measurements as your guide? Weigh yourself every week or measure yourself every month. Set yourself a range you want to stay within and if you begin approaching either end of that range, you know what to do to adjust.

^^ This

I actually quit tracking for about three months, just to see if I could do it. I didn't weigh my food either, just estimated, and didn't worry about how many grams of any macro, etc. For one, I did need a break. For two, I was laid off work and was not going to add further stress, knowing I was getting less protein than usual.

Results? I maintained my weight, plus/minus a few pounds, for that time period. This was after I had been logging for one year straight. I went back to logging and eating at maintenance for a few more weeks (and dealt with a tooth infection, which made eating a chore in itself) and then back to a calorie deficit just a couple weeks ago. I am confident that I will be able to maintain without tracking, so long as I don't ignore the scale and how my clothes fit, etc.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    In my case, I was at maintenance and counting before I ever heard of MFP. I'd learned that, as tedious as it may seem, counting calories as they go in is easier to do than to burn off extra calories already consumed.

I must say that I did not and I do not freak out about "OMG, I must be EXACTLY at 2500 calories today". But counting did help me stay within a reasonable distance of my calculated needs.

The reason I joined MFP was that it simply makes the process easier. I don't need to make sure I've got my diary with me between my house, my work, or wherever I travel to on vacation or business. All I need is an internet connection. Plus, many of the restaurants I go to have their food on here, so I don't need to go searching for their nutritional information.

It is my belief that we should all count calories in some fashion for the rest of our lives, but when you're at maintenance, you don't need to stress over it too much.
  • GnosisGnosis
    Options
    LOL at everyone that thinks they're going to be doing this for the rest of their life.
  • theycallyoumister
    theycallyoumister Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Some day...I think after about 6 months of maintenance then it's ingrained into you! :smile:
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    For me-Never! I will have to log what I eat the rest of my life and MFP has the best system I feel. In the past when I lost weight, I would stop logging or writing down what I ate daily and the weight crept back on. I am deteremined this time that won't happen and have realized I will have to log my food/calories along with other things I track on here for life.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I stopped counting quite a while ago. I don't envision getting out of control to the point where I will need to again.
  • CARBLEGEND
    CARBLEGEND Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    its a scam...there are no calories to count..none its one of the greatest scams in the diet "fitness" multi trillion dollar Industry
    EAT TONS OF SUGAR SALT STARCHES FRUITS VEGGIES WATER AND LOSE ALL THE FAT
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Even dietitians have trouble accurately estimating calories.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=379

Probably track in some way for life. Its not hard and only getting easier.
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I've already accepted the fact that I'm going to use MFP to count calories and macros the rest of my life. Without it, I know I'll NEVER be able to eyeball calories well enough to maintain, or take in optimal macronutrient intake and calorie intake. I find MFP not only extremely effective, but very very easy to use. Entering food takes only a couple minutes a day, and it's not a big deal to me, but everybody is different.

^^^Yes. I agree. I feel like if I stop it will be very easy to slip back into bad habits. I don't mind logging. Even when I overeat. So I still feel like I "live," but I also have a good sense of what I'm doing. I don't think there is anything wrong with allowing some freedom with food.
  • shanna49690
    shanna49690 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I promise you, if you stop, you'll gain it all back
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've attempted to quit on five separate occasions. Every time I stop counting, I gain weight. Last time I stopped counting for a month and gained FIFTEEN POUNDS. So yeah, I'm never going to stop counting because I can't do that and maintain my weight. If I could, I would.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    so, you know how some people have a problem with alcohol, and, therefore, can never really just have a drink here and there socially, but some can, without a problem? ok, so, for me, I feel like, yeah, many people can go their whole lives without tracking calories, and maintain a normal weight... however, that being said, for people like me, and many of you, we might not be able to do that, which is why we let our weight get out of control to begin with. for me, I feel like I will always have to log, or else... if I was able to maintain a healthy weight, I would never have been 100 pounds over weight... 5 pounds, 10 pounds... even 20 pounds over weight... ok... but 100 pounds overweight, that tells me there was / is a problem, that I allowed to spiral out of control, and I don't want it happening again... im a lifetime logger...

and you know what, I have some 4500 calorie days... BUT I LOG THEM!!!
  • RJM2014
    RJM2014 Posts: 3
    Options
    If you believe by stopping you'll revert back to old habits that is probably a matter of learning sheer will power and self control. Ask yourself why you feel so dependent on MFP or any other nutrient/calorie tracking website once you've reached your goal weight.

It is possible to quit counting calories and move on to eating food in a "normal matter" (as deemed by society) - meaning without tracking, counting, etc. The only way to do that though is to be aware of what you're eating, of your portions sizes, what you eat most, and it's nutritional value. Someone who eats fairly healthy and has habits of eating the same meals throughout the week can slowly move away from counting calories. He/She realizes what foods/meals fulfill them, know correct portions, and whether the foods benefits their body.

When I stopped counting calories, back in my 2011 weight loss journey, I found maintaining without counting calories to be fairly easy at the time. I had a routine down pack and I ate as healthy as I could. I didn't eat a lot of processed foods, didn't eat fast food at all, and typically ate the same meals throughout the week at the same times of the day. Why do you need to track the same breakfast every single say that you know is 210 calories and so on. Sometimes I believe it's about maintaining habits and realizing this is a lifestyle. It is only when you stray away from your habits learn and eating healthy that you slowly gain back. This is what happened to me. It wasn't because I stopped counting calories - I knew what a typically 1300 calorie day looked like for myself -it was when I stopped my routine. You have to continue eating and doing the same things you did while losing weight - aside from the counting. Otherwise what have you learned? Think about it like a school book. Once you've learned the material AND applied it you know longer need to read the book for the rest of your life. If you don't acquire the knowledge, or if you have the knowledge but don't apply it you may still need the book (and it's activities). Calorie counting, in my opinion, is quite similar. Calorie counting should be a tool. It helps you become aware of what to eat, what satisfies your body, etc. but once the knowledge is acquired/applied it can be ditched.

You can choose to count for the rest of your life, but for some this isn't something they want to do for the rest of their life. And quite frankly, you won't always have the calories for everything you eat - you can only estimate. Especially if you eat mostly fruits and veggies which aren't labelled - you have to guess, assume, etc.
  • mrsmustgetmuscles1
    mrsmustgetmuscles1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

I am planning to count my calories for the rest of my life. I'm not planning to be obsessed with my weight for the rest of my life. I'm taking the attitude that being aware of what I'm eating is simply part of my overall health plan. It's just something that I do, like taking my blood pressure medication or going to the doctor when I'm sick.

Exactly...more people need to make the switch to believing that counting calories isn't a crazy diet craze but a way of keeping a healthy lifestyle.
  • CharlesLadd
    Options
    I've already accepted the fact that I'm going to use MFP to count calories and macros the rest of my life. Without it, I know I'll NEVER be able to eyeball calories well enough to maintain, or take in optimal macronutrient intake and calorie intake. I find MFP not only extremely effective, but very very easy to use. Entering food takes only a couple minutes a day, and it's not a big deal to me, but everybody is different.

I have the same sentiment. As long as I have Internet access, I SHOULD keep the MFP food journal. It is just way too easy to not pay attention and start grazing in the frig or add that second helping. I lost 50 pounds in seven months and put on five in one month. As anyone who had lost a lot of weight sensibly knows, it takes a LONG time to take off weight, and so little time to put it back on. Using MFP is a small price to pay to keep the bod in good health..
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Alright, so for the past two days I have eaten whatever junk food has come my way. I work in a cafe so that means frappucino's, scones, panini's, cookies, brownies, definitely not low cal stuff. However I'm actually under my goal weight and realized I need to gain back a few pounds. I know this is not the healthiest way to do it, it's just what happened this past weekend. I let myself be free with food for the first time in the past year since losing all the weight.

But now, as I've finished this binge and feel fulfilled in a sense, I realize I don't want to keep counting.

I want to live.

The problem is, I don't know if I really know how. I know how to gain weight, obviously. I know how to lose weight. But maintaining is a foreign concept to me. Even as I've tried to maintain using this website, it doesn't really work. Because I keep having that mindset when I look at the number I feel like it needs to be lower. I realize that's not a happy mindset and I want to change that. My basic question is, how did the people who lost all the weight successfully maintain after?

I gotta believe there's enough will out there to be able to do it without counting for the rest of your life. Because while this is an extremely effective tool, I don't want to see myself relying on it forever.

Why can't you figure out in general how many calories a day you should be eating and just eyeball it? After checking everything in all this time, you must have a general idea. As long as you are trying to eat healthy and not going overboard every day, you can probably do it relatively easily. I know plenty of thinner people who don't count calories, but still generally watch what they eat. Now just forgetting about it, eating whatever you want, etc., will probably make your scale creep up over time, plus that is not a healthy way to live. Just try taking a more relaxed approach, but still being generally mindful.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I'm not at maintenance yet and I see myself counting on maintenance. However, how about using the scale or your measurements as your guide? Weigh yourself every week or measure yourself every month. Set yourself a range you want to stay within and if you begin approaching either end of that range, you know what to do to adjust.

This. I have a maximum weight that I will not allow myself to exceed. Over the years my weight has fluctuated a bit, but I know when it's definitely time to take action.
  • aalhasan
    aalhasan Posts: 104
    Options
    By the time you reach your goal weight you will have a good idea of the amounts of calories different foods have.
    If counting calories is bothersome (It is to me), then estimate your calories and weight very often and set a small weight range that you shouldn't exceed or go under.
    What I've learned is that my body needs protein to maintain muscle mass so I'll go for high protein foods as much as possible, and I know that foods like nuts and their butters and desserts in general are very calorie dense so I'll have those in moderation.

Good luck :)
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I promise you, if you stop, you'll gain it all back

This ....... especially if eating all that kind of stuff ......

JUST DO IT !
  • tiffanypacino
    tiffanypacino Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Make sure your not looking at this as a diet, its a life style change. I will be logging from now on...I'm okay with that.