When to stop counting calories?

Options

Replies

• nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I think if you eat mostly clean you dont HAVE to count. Some like to do it thats cool but for me I dont anymore. It was helpful in the beginning to see where I was starting. But I have done it for months and I dont find the need anymore. I know it doesnt take long I just dont feel like it. I stock my fridge with fruits, veggies, lean proteins etc.. I occasionally have a treat its usually chocolate and its a smaller version than I used to. Im still losing so it must be working.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I would say stop when at maintain but also when you feel it's the right time, the thing is though it would mean having to eat healthy for the rest of your life with only a few treats a day, I mean you could probably have a treat day eating whatever you like but you'd have to keep a close eye on it. I personally think I'll keep using MFP even at maintain, because it's going to stop me from gaining weight and keep me on track.
  • crose0056
    crose0056 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I started MFP 1 year ago, it got me to my goal, now to keep at goal I need to keep logging and counting. I started out with 1,200 daily and was hungry and now between 1,500-1,700 depending on my exercise output (I have a fitzip) the balance from both have kept me on track, but I have days when the hunger wants to win out. I really don't think I am hungry, just board or something. The food I want to eat is always something bad I know this because I think I will have something healthy and then I don't want to eat that. This has been the most successful I have ever been on any weight loss program either free or expensive. A thumbs up for MFP and my syncing with fitbit.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I think if you eat mostly clean you dont HAVE to count. Some like to do it thats cool but for me I dont anymore. It was helpful in the beginning to see where I was starting. But I have done it for months and I dont find the need anymore. I know it doesnt take long I just dont feel like it. I stock my fridge with fruits, veggies, lean proteins etc.. I occasionally have a treat its usually chocolate and its a smaller version than I used to. Im still losing so it must be working.

I'm not a "clean eater," but there is truth to this. For me, I can simply count desserts. If I have more than two in a day, then I go without a day. (Unless one is under 250 cals) Chocolate, beer, and laziness are how I got fat. I don't let myself be lazy, and I cut from 4-6 beers a night to 1-2 beers per month. Chocolate is tough, but I keep it at an average of one to two per day, depending on the type of chocolate.
  • ABsolute85
    ABsolute85 Posts: 156
    Options
    Stopping is up to each person. If you are disciplined, then it won't be as hard...if you arent', then you should keep tracking calories until you develop good habits...
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Even if I don't use MFP I count calories naturally in my head as I've been using it for so long.. is that a good thing?

THIS---^ Exactly. I mean if you can RECOUNT your daily foods when you were losing weight---that is what you need to eat all the time without any extra activity to maintain weight. Makes sense if you think about it. If you like adventure with your food like I do. Then calorie counting is a MUST. And if your not like us(who know how much calories are per serving for basically everything in the store) then you must use MFP:happy: .
    I can't stress enough the importance of learning your nutritional facts! Once you do you have more power than you realize. I can adjust and re-adjust to my liking to what I want to eat for any one given day for me just because I have counted calories for so long.
    Maintenance CAN be achieved when you learn you TDEE. It is what the number of calories you need RIGHT NOW:smile: without working out. Mine is near 2,000 but even to maintain I would like to stick to 1,500. I am a little below that to lose weight. But having a regular time for activity I don't think i will ever worry about weight but just adjust it to my needs. And everyday is different. Some days you had enough sleep so you won't be s hungry-go for low. Other days you feel ravenous like I have been then increase activity and watch your portions if there will be an occasional treat...

If you want a lower TDEE, then move less. :laugh: (I'm not sure I actually understand your last paragraph. It sounds like either confusion or wishful thinking -- not sure which.

It would be very difficult to lost weight without counting calories, I think. But this is about maintaining weight. It's actually very easy to maintain without counting, provided you are still planning most of your meals and thinking about what you eat. Also, step on the scale once or twice a month to be sure.

Its not wishful thinking or confusion dear. It is what I typed it to be. I am near my goal weight so what I am doing works for me. And it makes sense when you think about it. Im new to TDEE but you need to move more not less. Knowing by heart, how many calories the food YOU eat helps most. And stay away from the middle of the grocery store is where all packaged foods are!. I know what I need to eat to maintain my weight. I know what I need to do IF I should need to adjust things regarding just maintenance or what not. Theres no wishful thinking here LOVE just me nearing my ultimate goal weight.
  • RedArizona5
    Options
    What is that quote??? to master others is power but to master oneself is true strength yup I second that discipline is king and hence why moderation IS key. You can really go as far as you need to with this app, but the more will you have created for yourself the more independent you are from my fitness pal. Clean eating def. helps. Just have to practice being disciplined and yes you can practice!:) you have to kinda :set yourself up" for when you know you need to make a choice and deliberately refuse a bad food without giving into its temptation.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I've already accepted the fact that I'm going to use MFP to count calories and macros the rest of my life. Without it, I know I'll NEVER be able to eyeball calories well enough to maintain, or take in optimal macronutrient intake and calorie intake. I find MFP not only extremely effective, but very very easy to use. Entering food takes only a couple minutes a day, and it's not a big deal to me, but everybody is different.

+1

I actually like it.

I've been maintaining here for three years now. These days, I use it just as much to track things like protein, calcium and fiber intake as I do to track calories. It's easy and kinda fun. It's a simple daily habit, like brushing teeth, and it works. I'll stay here as long as this site is up and running. If you see logging as a pain or a punishment, then it's going to suck. I actually see it more as a game. I don't have any problem doing this forever. :drinker:
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I've already accepted the fact that I'm going to use MFP to count calories and macros the rest of my life. Without it, I know I'll NEVER be able to eyeball calories well enough to maintain, or take in optimal macronutrient intake and calorie intake. I find MFP not only extremely effective, but very very easy to use. Entering food takes only a couple minutes a day, and it's not a big deal to me, but everybody is different.
    Totally this. Tried so many diets and programs before. Counting calories on MFP was the only way I lost the weight. I can never stop counting because I don't ever want to go back to being overweight.
  • RedArizona5
    Options
    My fitness pal is awesome though. Although, I could do it without it, but having it in my life is such great helper. I find it keeps me more accountable, but yeah I agree with everyone that one should stop when they feel they are ready:):smile:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Even if I don't use MFP I count calories naturally in my head as I've been using it for so long.. is that a good thing?

THIS---^ Exactly. I mean if you can RECOUNT your daily foods when you were losing weight---that is what you need to eat all the time without any extra activity to maintain weight. Makes sense if you think about it. If you like adventure with your food like I do. Then calorie counting is a MUST. And if your not like us(who know how much calories are per serving for basically everything in the store) then you must use MFP:happy: .
    I can't stress enough the importance of learning your nutritional facts! Once you do you have more power than you realize. I can adjust and re-adjust to my liking to what I want to eat for any one given day for me just because I have counted calories for so long.
    Maintenance CAN be achieved when you learn you TDEE. It is what the number of calories you need RIGHT NOW:smile: without working out. Mine is near 2,000 but even to maintain I would like to stick to 1,500. I am a little below that to lose weight. But having a regular time for activity I don't think i will ever worry about weight but just adjust it to my needs. And everyday is different. Some days you had enough sleep so you won't be s hungry-go for low. Other days you feel ravenous like I have been then increase activity and watch your portions if there will be an occasional treat...

If you want a lower TDEE, then move less. :laugh: (I'm not sure I actually understand your last paragraph. It sounds like either confusion or wishful thinking -- not sure which.

It would be very difficult to lost weight without counting calories, I think. But this is about maintaining weight. It's actually very easy to maintain without counting, provided you are still planning most of your meals and thinking about what you eat. Also, step on the scale once or twice a month to be sure.

Its not wishful thinking or confusion dear. It is what I typed it to be. I am near my goal weight so what I am doing works for me. And it makes sense when you think about it. Im new to TDEE but you need to move more not less. Knowing by heart, how many calories the food YOU eat helps most. And stay away from the middle of the grocery store is where all packaged foods are!. I know what I need to eat to maintain my weight. I know what I need to do IF I should need to adjust things regarding just maintenance or what not. Theres no wishful thinking here LOVE just me nearing my ultimate goal weight.

You said you want to *lower* you TDEE. The only way to do that is to burn fewer calories.

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure

Buy what you will from the store, in whichever aisle you choose. That's irrelevant to your TDEE.
  • okassim
    okassim Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm actually new to MFP, but I've been constantly watching what I eat for 6-7(?) years now. The first year or so was hard, but after a while you can start eyeballing it. Not everything is about calories, but you start to maintain a healthy lifestyle with healthy choices. Ate a little much that day? Do more exercise than normal. Eat a little less tomorrow. It becomes more of a lifestyle thing. Best of luck to you - I'd say you can stop counting when it becomes more of an unconscious choice to reach for the juice, rather than the cake.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I'll be at goal in about 10 pounds. I'll have to keep using MFP as I increase back to maintenance calories since I can't just jump up there all at once, and I'll probably continue to use it for at least a few months after getting to a calorie level that's working for maintenance without too much fluctuation. once I've done that though, I will be trying to go without logging for a few weeks at least just to see what happens with the scale so I know how well I'm able to estimate without the assistance of the website. If I know I can do that, I can do stuff like go on vacation and whatnot without having to worry about whether or not I have access to the internet so I can avoid packing on the pounds. I generally eat quite similar food every day so it shouldn't be an issue. I may still use the site if I eat things that are out of the ordinary on any given day so that I can see how the numbers look.
  • lookaheadfcsus
    Options
    If I'd need to count calories for the rest of my life, then this process will have been completely and entirely useless and for absolutely nothing. It's a lesson about being healthy in the end. There are very few excuses to rely on training wheels forever.

At the moment, I'm logging because I need to be in a strict deficit. When I've reached my goal weight and maintained for six months, I'm done. No more counting.
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Because he's describing counting carbs as if the success can be attributed to a particular number of carb grams, when in reality calories are very relevant. Just because the poster fails to realize it, doesn't make it not so. Saying calories is irrelevant is incorrect.

But if its working for them, why should they change what they're doing? Sure calories may be relevant in "reality", but if by counting the carbs only the OP is able to keep their calorie intake in deficit what does it matter if they count them or not?

P.S, is this a new counting calorie thread or one of the three others I have posted in recently. I've lost track.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    If I'd need to count calories for the rest of my life, then this process will have been completely and entirely useless and for absolutely nothing. It's a lesson about being healthy in the end. There are very few excuses to rely on training wheels forever.

At the moment, I'm logging because I need to be in a strict deficit. When I've reached my goal weight and maintained for six months, I'm done. No more counting.

This is how I feel too. To me, the goal is to have better habits, including no emotional eating and no laziness, and to learn portion control (which I have gotten excellent at doing). It makes sense to me that if you find yourself overweight, it's a good idea to identify the reasons why and to change that behavior.

A food diary is exactly like "training wheels." I am perplexed at how a person could keep one for *years* and never learn anything from it. I have learned so much!
  • whisperfitandhealthy
    Options
    You sound like me. Just two weeks ago I quit counting calories after doing it obsessively for 6 years. And guess what? I binged..all week! it was awesome AND horrible because I ate foods I hadn't eaten in years ( fast food, candy, sweets) and I gained 5 pounds! in less than 2 weeks! it blows my mind. At first I was highly upset. Here I am, 125 pounds for the past 3 years and suddenley in the space of days I went to 130. But you know what? even though I regret how fast I gained I don't regret the gain itself. I got to treat myself, and I actually feel healthier! weird I know. At 125 I could see all my ribs and back bones. Just 5 pounds later I can only see 2 or 3 ribs and none of my back bones. My nails are growing faster and I'm not as pale and tired. So after all these years I think my body finally has a weight it's happy at. I am now in the process of maintaining again.
  • actioncomics1
    Options
    As George.W.bush said were here to the job is done