apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    ellioc2 wrote: »
    I
    apullum wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    OP, what exactly would you like to see in the mirror? What we want isn't always attainable but if you know your goal you can start making a few changes (different workout routine or whatever). But keep in mind that what we "see" in the mirror isn't always a true representation of how we look to others. The mind can be tricky at times.

I want thinner arms, a completely flat stomach, a small waist, and to be about 30 pounds slimmer. I don’t mind having thicker thighs and bigger hips but I don’t want to be boxy and flabby like I am now. I have this photo of myself 5-6 years ago where I really liked how I looked, I’m trying to get to around there again

It's important to have realistic expectations.

We can't control where on the body fat is burned from. If you lose 30 pounds, that fat might come from your arms or waist, or it might not. You can develop muscle in these areas, but there's no guarantee that you'll lose fat in any particular place.

It's very common for women to not have completely flat stomachs, in part due to the tilt of the uterus. This is true even if your stomach used to be flatter, since our bodies change with age. See this thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10689837/does-this-uterus-make-my-stomach-look-fat/p1

I don't think you ever mentioned your current height and weight. If you are already in an ideal BMI range for your height, then I would strongly recommend recomp rather than focusing on weight loss.

I’m about 160 pounds at 5’6”, which puts me almost 20 pounds over a normal BMI. They give a range of “healthy” for this height 117-143 for a female. Some charts say a BMI of 25 starts at 155 pounds. Either way, I think I have a significant amount of weight to lose to look better

You are only six pounds above an optimal BMI range for your height, not 20, and you have a history of ED. I would absolutely not recommend trying to lose 30 pounds. Given the way you're thinking about your body right now, I would recommend checking back in with your treatment team.

I have a doctor’s appointment on the 17th. I’ll be having a discussion with her then

Excellent! Please keep us posted. I'm glad that you're talking about these things with your doctor.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    I
    OP, what exactly would you like to see in the mirror? What we want isn't always attainable but if you know your goal you can start making a few changes (different workout routine or whatever). But keep in mind that what we "see" in the mirror isn't always a true representation of how we look to others. The mind can be tricky at times.

I want thinner arms, a completely flat stomach, a small waist, and to be about 30 pounds slimmer. I don’t mind having thicker thighs and bigger hips but I don’t want to be boxy and flabby like I am now. I have this photo of myself 5-6 years ago where I really liked how I looked, I’m trying to get to around there again

It's important to have realistic expectations.

We can't control where on the body fat is burned from. If you lose 30 pounds, that fat might come from your arms or waist, or it might not. You can develop muscle in these areas, but there's no guarantee that you'll lose fat in any particular place.

It's very common for women to not have completely flat stomachs, in part due to the tilt of the uterus. This is true even if your stomach used to be flatter, since our bodies change with age. See this thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10689837/does-this-uterus-make-my-stomach-look-fat/p1

I don't think you ever mentioned your current height and weight. If you are already in an ideal BMI range for your height, then I would strongly recommend recomp rather than focusing on weight loss.

I’m about 160 pounds at 5’6”, which puts me almost 20 pounds over a normal BMI. They give a range of “healthy” for this height 117-143 for a female. Some charts say a BMI of 25 starts at 155 pounds. Either way, I think I have a significant amount of weight to lose to look better

You are only six pounds above an optimal BMI range for your height, not 20, and you have a history of ED. I would absolutely not recommend trying to lose 30 pounds. Given the way you're thinking about your body right now, I would recommend checking back in with your treatment team.

I have a doctor’s appointment on the 17th. I’ll be having a discussion with her then

Good. Please let her help you.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member

How old are you in that older picture? Because you look pretty young in both, regardless, and if that was in your late teens/early 20s, it's possible that you just grew into a woman's body, and you're not going to look like a teenager/early-20-person again.

Edit: And, since you have a history of eating disorders, it's also likely and possible that that body you had before wasn't a healthy body for you. Striving to hit the body you had with an eating disorder, or while actively in ED recovery is NOT a good goal.

I was about 20 years old in that picture. That was far from my lowest weight and it was after I had mostly recovered, but if I recall at that time I was doing hot yoga (bikram) 5-6 days a week and eating about 600 calories a day. Not sustainable, I felt pretty miserable but it got me results. I’m 27 now, I’ll be 28 in a few months.

I think you know that not only was it not sustainable, but that it wasn’t healthy — and certainly not recovered.

Please don’t strive for your ED body again. Nothing good or healthy will come of it.

I know you’re talking to your physician. Can you ask for a referral to a therapist?
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    As long as I am fit and healthy and my body does what I want it to I am fine with how it is. To want and expect perfection, or close to it just robs us of satisfaction with the progress we have made. Give me a bit of loose skin and lack of definition, over obesity any day of the week.