Uh oh- it’s starting!

Options
We now have a huge platter of Christmas candies and cookies ten feet from my desk. Yesterday it was homemade shortbread cookies and Godiva dark chocolates. Yikes!

I’m eating a little and logging it. Three more weeks of free food at work. I love sweets. This is a tough time of year for me.

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    At my office, it hasn't slowed much since Thanksgiving week.
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm worse around Chinese new year.

Dim sum, prawn crackers, duck rolls, wontons...... :s
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Actually in my office it hasn't started yet at all! Last year I feel like from Thanksgiving through the end of the year there was treats all over the table in the breakroom at all time.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    We get piles of everything dessert like and then big deli sandwiches, fruit, vegetable and cheese plates, pulled pork and fixings, and just so many things. I work in a veterinary clinic and an emergency hospital so we get a lot of thank yous.

I take what I can estimate the calories of reasonably and fit in and I just stay away from the kitchen in general.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    So far, we've got candy canes (which I hate -- can't stand peppermint), a straggler 3 Musketeer minibar (OK, can do that), and a bunch of donuts and pastries (can't eat -- can't have gluten). I am totally OK that having to be gluten free, and hating all things peppermint, basically means that this time of year will be no different for me than any other year.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    okay.. I was whining over the time of year in general...but since I work for myself I don't face any of these temptations... so I'll be quiet now. But, that's got to be hard to resist. I'd picture all that food covered with hair or something gross..or imagine a co worker spitting in it..

There. that's the best help I can offer. :)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I work from home, but my husband brought home a box full of apple and pumpkin pie after a party, so it is sitting in my refrigerator, taunting me every time I go in to fix a planned meal. For some foods, I can just put them in the "That's his, I would be pissed if he finished off my planned snacks" category.
  • rcreynol3090
    rcreynol3090 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Retirement is a wonderful thing . . . in more than one way. :)

Agree!

You get to bake your own homemade shortbread and don't have to share it. :devil: :smiley:

I love to bake, but haven't dared to bake anything really good in over a year (except cornbread, that's a necessity).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options

Agree!

You get to bake your own homemade shortbread and don't have to share it. :devil: :smiley:

But you could share . . . I mean, if you wanted to . . . please? :flowerforyou:
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    So far, we've got candy canes (which I hate -- can't stand peppermint), a straggler 3 Musketeer minibar (OK, can do that), and a bunch of donuts and pastries (can't eat -- can't have gluten). I am totally OK that having to be gluten free, and hating all things peppermint, basically means that this time of year will be no different for me than any other year.

I don't work in an office environment, but there have been parties. Seriously, the gluten thing helps a lot. Can't eat the stuff anyway, so there's no temptation.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    We now have a huge platter of Christmas candies and cookies ten feet from my desk. Yesterday it was homemade shortbread cookies and Godiva dark chocolates. Yikes!

I’m eating a little and logging it. Three more weeks of free food at work. I love sweets. This is a tough time of year for me.

I work from home and would literally *kill* to have some of that stuff! :D

I do make a mean shortbread, though...
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

Agree!

I do that every year since I found out that the original shortbread was likely made with oat flour. I can get gluten free oat flour.

Shortbread with oat flour, the best butter I can find, and demerara sugar. It's different than the shortbread most people are used to, but man is it tasty.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Agree!

I do that every year since I found out that the original shortbread was likely made with oat flour. I can get gluten free oat flour.

Shortbread with oat flour, the best butter I can find, and demerara sugar. It's different than the shortbread most people are used to, but man is it tasty.

Have you tried mixing in some rice flour? I find the rice flour gives it that melt-in-your-mouth quality.

Or it could just be the pound of butter in every batch... :D
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited December 2018
    Options

Agree!

Have you tried mixing in some rice flour? I find the rice flour gives it that melt-in-your-mouth quality.

Or it could just be the pound of butter in every batch... :D

Rice flour is gritty to me. The plain oat flour is melt-in your-mouth. Very much so.

Not this gritty, btw:

sk-2017_04_featured_listing_mobile.jpg
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Agree!

That sounds good. I like oats and I like shortbread so sounds very promising.
    Yes I would share with you @AnnPT77 :smile: