It’s cold out and I don’t want to go to the gym!

Options
13»

Replies

• merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! Have tried running outside but the cold triggers my asthma and I don’t get very far. Treadmills feel like torture. My gym has indoor track and that is what is working for me. It’s above the basketball courts. A full court is probably easier to find than indoor track and 14 laps around equals one mile. Cold times. Hahahaha
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    YOUTUBE - search for "body weight exercise" and spend some time doing planks and bridges, and other stuff like that.
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I personally find it waaaay easier to go to the gym during the winter (despite the fact that there is a foot of snow outside and its probably -20 degrees). I lose most of my motivation in the summer when its hot & sunny

Same here. I love going to the gym in the cold because it warms me up plus I get a 15 min. nap in the sauna afterwards. When it's 90 - 100 degrees I really hate being inside the gym even with air conditioning.

This! If it's 90-100 degrees I absolutely DREAD going to the gym. By the time I get there I'm already hot & sweaty, I workout and then sweat more, get in the car which has been baking in the sun and is like a literal oven. Very easy to get overheated! MUCH prefer the winter because it's so refreshing to walk outside after a workout and get cooled off!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    Our dog gets walked twice a day, regardless of the weather, so at a minimum I get 2-3 miles. I'm training for a spring race, so that pushes me to get out and run 5 days a week. Since I've got a lot of longer runs on this plan, and I'd rather do those outside than on the TM, I've learned to adapt to colder weather runs. If there's snow and ice I can go indoors, but I'd much rather not run 90+ minutes inside. I've found it's not that bad running when it's below freezing, if I'm dressed right. Hardest is the face, since I don't much like wearing a balaclava, but I'll do it if I have to.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    My gym is heated, so no biggie...I go after work a couple nights per week and usually Saturday morning. It's on my home from the office, so there's really no excuse.

I'm actually better about hitting the weight room in the winter because there's really not a whole hell of a lot of stuff to do otherwise. In the summer there are pool parties and BBQs or just sitting out on the patio with a cold beer.

Cycling is another matter...the cold always sucks at first until I get warmed up...but the first couple of miles pretty much suck. If it's really bad weather wise I use my indoor trainer, but it's boring so I get outside as much as I can.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Dress for the cold and it's not so bad. I hate to be cold, so in the winter I wear lots of layers. I wear leggings underneath my pants, 2 shirts, a jacket and a coat, a hat, scarf, gloves, etc. I see so many people bitching about the cold yet they don't dress for it. I couldn't just stay in the house all the time. I am out taking my dog on walks etc year round. The gym has heat anyway.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    lcatalan93 wrote: »
    I can go to the gym fine, but I need to walk my dog too and that is what I have been not doing lately :( It just sucks because I get home from the gym by 8pm and its cold dark no fun times for me lol >.<

Same. I have no problem hitting the gym but my runs and getting the dog out aren’t happening like they should right now. It’s our rainy season so half the time it’s wet and muddy out on top of being cold
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Dress for the cold and it's not so bad. I hate to be cold, so in the winter I wear lots of layers. I wear leggings underneath my pants, 2 shirts, a jacket and a coat, a hat, scarf, gloves, etc. I see so many people bitching about the cold yet they don't dress for it. I couldn't just stay in the house all the time. I am out taking my dog on walks etc year round. The gym has heat anyway.

Yes, I used to have roommates who complained I kept the house too cold when they were BAREFOOT for crying out load.