Housemate keeps fridge full of junk food

My housemate works for Walmart, and buys a lot of junk food there. This makes every meal a challenge, with the choices being quick junk or prepping a meal- which I have to do every time I eat because, I quote, " You can cook, I can't. I need the space for my meals. "
Advice?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Can you clarify the issue?

Is the issue that you don't have room in the fridge for the food you want to eat? Or is the issue that you are expected to cook for your housemate because they are unwilling to? Or is it something else?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Unless you want to share cooking duties, just prepare food for yourself, and insist on enough space for your food, assuming you are both paying rent.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,319 Member
    SVZee wrote: »
    My housemate works for Walmart, and buys a lot of junk food there. This makes every meal a challenge, with the choices being quick junk or prepping a meal- which I have to do every time I eat because, I quote, " You can cook, I can't. I need the space for my meals. "
    Advice?

Um, that's part of being an adult. I prep meals for my family of 5 every single day.

Adulting is not how we thought it would be... :laugh:

Right!?! I couldn't wait to get here, now most days I just want to crawl home to mom.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,319 Member
    Advice?

Um, that's part of being an adult. I prep meals for my family of 5 every single day.

Right!?! I couldn't wait to get here, now most days I just want to crawl home to mom.

But then when they do mother you, you get mad, stomp your feet and shout "I'm an adult and I don't need to be mothered!"

I miss my mom

I know.

:cry:
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,871 Member
    Advice?

But then when they do mother you, you get mad, stomp your feet and shout "I'm an adult and I don't need to be mothered!"

I miss my mom

I know.

:cry:

Me too :cry: I can think of plenty of times I've needed my mother as an adult, because you're right - this adulting thing is hard!

Now I wish I hadn't opened this thread...
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,871 Member
    OP, sorry for the slight sad thread derail. I wouldn't be above using colored tape to divide the fridge and freezer shelves in half and putting anything that strays onto your real estate out on the counter to either be dealt with by the roomie or tossed later. (This is assuming you split rent equally and thus have equal rights to everything contained therein.) His or her inability to cook is not relevant.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Advice?

Yes the choices are quick prepared foods or prepping a meal. Even if you don't have a roomate stocking the fridge the choice is to cook or buy ready made food. So the problem must be either you lack ingredients to cook with or you don't feel like cooking every meal, every day.

You can buy your own food and eat only what you buy and let your housemate eat their own food that they buy themselves. Because you are both adults. Don't share food. Divide the refrigerator space better or get your own small refrigerator.

Plan your meals better. You can prepare some food in advance for yourself so you don't have to cook every day. Look up meal prepping, feed the freezer or once a month cooking. Make a big pot of soup for the week. Cook double when you cook and freeze the extra in individual portions for future.

You can stock up on nutritious low prep foods like yogurt, bread, cooked meat, cheese, fruit, raw vegetables, frozen or canned vegetables salad, canned tuna, cottage cheese, canned soup, pasta. Make a sandwich. You can combine ready made foods with fresh whole foods as part of a nutritious diet.

Get your housemate excited about cooking. Teach them to cook. Cook together. Trade off cooking. Offer to cook for them if they chip in for ingredients.

You can go live with someone else who likes to cook or live on your own.