Where is the greatest inaccuracy?

Options
13»

Replies

• garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    @Duck_Puddle Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Weeks 1 and 2 should be focus on your diet habits MEASURE AND WEIGH EVERYTHING YOU EAT!!!, add some light walking maybe 1/2 hour or approximately 1/2 mile at a minimum.
    Its not just the calories themselves its also the source of your calories. You can into your home profile settings and adjust your goals. I have mine set at 60% protein, carbs 15% fat 25%. It doesn't hurt to get with a nutritionist to set your goals specifically to you.
    The default is the government recommended 60% carbs and sugar, 20% fat and 20% protein. You will never loose weight following that.

Also remember you need a minimum of 30 min of cardio exercise like power walking. Remember if your not sweating your not pushing hard enough.

Feel free to friend me if you are serious about loosing weight.

Could I have the name of the nutritionist that recommended 60% protein so I know who not to see please? That is way more than you need and just makes for a very expensive diet.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    There is an accepted generality that cycling burns about 40 Cal per mile so that comes to 1,040 calories

40 cal per mile - is that on road or on gravel, flat course or hilly terrain, fast road tyres or off road knobblies, low speed or high speed, solo or in a peloton? Gross or net calories?

That's such a generality that it's not really of any value for what you are trying to achieve.
    My two training sessions yesterday had rate of net calorie burns of 515/hr and 821/hr from steady pace to fast pace so you can see the range of what's possible for an individual is huge let alone a generalisation across all people and abilities.

Having said that c. 500 cals/hr is a believable number so you might be in the ballpark by luck. But you can improve on luck....
    If you want a better idea of your calorie burning capability then test yourself on a power meter equipped bike or indoor trainer.
    Does you Garmin break out your exercise estimates separately or just lump it all together into one daily adjustment?

• jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I think excercise calories can be more or less accurate as long as you truly evaluate the amount of effort you are putting in, distance, duration etc and take into account things like your weight and age. People often talk about gym machines being inaccurate but I have found the machines at my gym to be in line with my HRM if I have inputted my age and weight at the start. My gym isn't anything fancy so I am sure a lot of machines have this option and people are just stepping onto them and using the default which is for a 25 year old weighing 160lbs. If you are a 50 year old weighing 125lbs of course it will be off.