Does anyone else log all their food in the morning?

Options
I personally feel as though this helps prevent me from overeating- I've logged what I'm going to eat throughout the day and there's absolutely no reason why I should go over that.

Anything else you guys like to do to prevent overeating?

Replies

• nhenryoliver
    nhenryoliver Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I used to start the day with hot water and a slice of lemon, exercise and then have breakfast. Finding that planning to do exercise seems to get me eating better too. I personally log as i go along, although there have been days where i must have salad for dinner!
  • teilee
    teilee Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I do! I find it keeps me 100% more honest throughout the day, if I haven't already logged it, I won't eat it
  • Casstevens133
    Casstevens133 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do plan my day so that I know what spare calories I have. However it does change a bit as the day goes on. Breakfast and dinner are pretty static though - its just lunch and snacks I might play around with. If I didn't have an initial plan I don't think I'd manage to stay within budget. If I really want to stop myself having an extra 'naughty' treat then I complete my diary for the day. It might sound daft but if I eat anything after that I feel like I've cheated myself .... Well there's no one else to cheat is there? :)
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i log mine the night before. i pack all my snacks and meals at that time, so in the am i am all ready to just get up and start my day
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Yup, I log the night before. When I'm cooking for myself, another thing I do is only cook one serving size. That way, I can't go back for seconds. OR, I cook two, immediately split it in half and put one serving in the fridge for tomorrow's lunch, and then only have the one serving for dinner. If I eat the second serving, I don't get lunch tomorrow!
  • gingerthedaywalker
    Options
    I log everything in the morning and pre-plan the meals the night before just to keep myself on track of my goals. :smile:
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I do if I'm planning a special dinner or going out with friends to a restaurant. I find it helps to looks at the restaurant menu online and decide what I'm going to have, then plan my day around that meal. Otherwise I log as I go.
  • Casstevens133
    Casstevens133 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yes, Ido that too :)
  • MaryPoppinsIAint
    MaryPoppinsIAint Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Usually I log as I go, but if I'm having a particularly hard time I'll plan out the whole day in advance so I don't have to think about it while I'm in the kitchen staring down tempting treats that would blow my counts to hell.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I tend to log days at a time, that way my meals are planned and I know whether or not I have calories for a little extra snack. Sometimes what I've logged changes, but I just prefer to plan ahead.
  • michelleanne44a
    michelleanne44a Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have just started using fitness pal and think i will log my menu the day before to help me start the day with the right frame of mind:laugh:
  • claire23rd
    claire23rd Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I log all of my food for the following week on a Sunday, this way i feel more in control and tend to only buy things from the shops which ive logged. i dont have to worry about being hungry and choosing something i probably shouldn't eat. I occasionally change a few things around if i dont fancy what ive logged in advance, or add things if necessary.
  • minijuggernaut
    minijuggernaut Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I usually do it the night before, while I'm meal prepping.
  • karenmckeating
    karenmckeating Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I tend to do it as I go. I know if what I've got planned for dinner is heavy on the calories so eat lunch accordingly. I also know if we have a lighter dinner, then we can have pudding!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, I plan what I'm going to eat in advance. If things change, we'll then I can change my diary. But it's good to stick in the likely bits, see where I'm short or close to max, and adjust my snacks accordingly.
  • RabbiBeth
    RabbiBeth Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I like to log the night before - whatever I pack for work the night before gets logged before I go to bed. Sets the tone of success the night before so I just wake up and go according to plan.
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I like logging the night before when I can so I don't have to think about it during the day but can still have a really good day and have good percentages for macros and stuff and if I forget what I was going to have i can just look back and check quickly and nobody has to know I'm like "counting calories" or whatever because my family doesn't really get why I do it because I'm not overweight or out of shape. I log what I can the night before and I try to find out as soon as possible what we're having for dinner and stuff so I can log that too. That way if I know we are having like steak and potatos for dinner I can make sure to eat more veggies and less fat during the day then if we were having like grilled chicken then maybe I'd have more fat for lunch or snacks or something.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    I do not log all my food in the morning but I do follow my #1 rule. Do not eat anything before it is logged. If followed you will never get surprised about going over and it will be a decision you made. Good luck.
  • unoriginalusername007
    Options
    I'm usually up past midnight so as soon as my food log resets I start to plan out my meals for the next day :) Otherwise my day becomes unbalanced and I might eat too large of a breakfast, meaning a really small dinner, so I try to avoid that. I generally can't stick to what I pre-log though since cravings strike xP But some days I have been successful with it! :happy:
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    This quotet\ sums my philosophy up perfectly... "Pre-logging is looking at the price tag before you make the purchase"

I'm no longer very spontaneous, at least in the area of eating ;P No more "I don't care, where do you want to eat?" No more perusing the freezer for dinner ideas 10 minutes before dinner should be served.

I know instantly if that pat of butter and sprinkle of cheese or bacon (mmm...bacon) is going to be a good idea. No more "a Blooming Onion has HOW MANY calories and serves HOW MANY people? *&@%#^!*&!!" scenarios at 11 PM.