No Carb Diet

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    PigHerder wrote: »
    Blimey. :/ I mean.. ok, if you like eating that way and can see yourself doing it forever... But it's a hard pass from me. All I can think of is the inevitable constipation from the lack of fibre. And you know... the possibility of scurvy?

I usually eat about 150-180g of carbs a day. The weight is coming off just fine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hmm... I have been eating carnivore for nearly a year and ate a carnivore diet for several months of 2017 as well. There is definitely not constipation.

Also, I don't know any any cases of scurvy from people eating a carnivore diet. Can you find even a single such example?

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2517958/

10-14% of populations in developed countries present with vitamin C deficiency, which is what causes scurvy. It's certainly not as common as it once was but you're lying to yourself if you think you are not at risk. You're in a better position if you actually consume organ meats and offal but most people turn their nose up at that yucky stuff. The thing about diseases due to vitamin or nutrient deficiency is that they are not like an injury that sidelines you quickly and obviously; you feel and perform mostly fine until the malady has progressed far enough to cause considerable symptoms. Take care.

Of these 10-14%, are these people who are eating zero carbohydrate diets? Or are they people who are eating a diet that includes carbohydrates but is deficient in other ways?

I ask because I think that's a key distinction when we are determining whether this population is truly at risk for vitamin C deficiency.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Blimey. :/ I mean.. ok, if you like eating that way and can see yourself doing it forever... But it's a hard pass from me. All I can think of is the inevitable constipation from the lack of fibre. And you know... the possibility of scurvy?

I usually eat about 150-180g of carbs a day. The weight is coming off just fine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hmm... I have been eating carnivore for nearly a year and ate a carnivore diet for several months of 2017 as well. There is definitely not constipation.

Also, I don't know any any cases of scurvy from people eating a carnivore diet. Can you find even a single such example?

10-14% of populations in developed countries present with vitamin C deficiency, which is what causes scurvy. It's certainly not as common as it once was but you're lying to yourself if you think you are not at risk. You're in a better position if you actually consume organ meats and offal but most people turn their nose up at that yucky stuff. The thing about diseases due to vitamin or nutrient deficiency is that they are not like an injury that sidelines you quickly and obviously; you feel and perform mostly fine until the malady has progressed far enough to cause considerable symptoms. Take care.

Of these 10-14%, are these people who are eating zero carbohydrate diets? Or are they people who are eating a diet that includes carbohydrates but is deficient in other ways?

I ask because I think that's a key distinction when we are determining whether this population is truly at risk for vitamin C deficiency.

There does not seem to be any dietary consideration in the study I linked so I presume it is for people consuming a "normal" balanced diet, including many of the fortified foods that helped to reduce the prevalence of scurvy (none of which are meat BTW).

My point is that, despite OP being anecdotally unaware of any scurvy cases, it is definitely still a risk even in developed countries. Whether OP is at elevated risk, I can't say.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I would suggest that if one consumes no (or little) fruits and veg it's probably wise to take a multi. I don't actually think it's a good idea even then -- I think there are positive qualities to foods associated with healthful outcomes that probably have not been identified yet -- but it would prevent the various diseases that led to us realizing the importance of those which have been identified.

That aside, so much stuff is fortified in the US that it's hard to have a real vitamin deficiency, probably.

If for some reason you were committed carnivore (which I would never be), I suspect you can get all vitamins (to avoid a deficiency) from meat if you ate a variety, some of it raw, and ate a variety of offal, but I'd still think why take the risk when supplementing with vitamins is so easy.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I would suggest that if one consumes no (or little) fruits and veg it's probably wise to take a multi. I don't actually think it's a good idea even then -- I think there are positive qualities to foods associated with healthful outcomes that probably have not been identified yet -- but it would prevent the various diseases that led to us realizing the importance of those which have been identified.

That aside, so much stuff is fortified in the US that it's hard to have a real vitamin deficiency, probably.

If for some reason you were committed carnivore (which I would never be), I suspect you can get all vitamins (to avoid a deficiency) from meat if you ate a variety, some of it raw, and ate a variety of offal, but I'd still think why take the risk when supplementing with vitamins is so easy.

I agree overall, but I would imagine that many people literally doing a zero carbohydrate diet are avoiding most of the commonly fortified foods in the US diet (cereals, flour, milk, juices, etc). Meat is commonly fed with fortified feed, which would get some vitamins to the meat that might otherwise be lacking.

I'm not arguing that zero carbohydrate people *do* have higher rates of deficiencies. I know that proponents of the diet argue that they don't. My understanding of nutrition would tell me that some of them must be at higher risk, but that's just my thought process. There is no data, that I know of, to back up either side.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

You have failed to provide an example of someone getting scurvy from a carnivore diet. Instead, your study shows:
    His dietary history revealed that he ate mostly TV dinners, canned soups, and canned stewed vegetables...
  • CindyJNC1963
    CindyJNC1963 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    amy19355 wrote: »
    Going on no carb diet with a target to loose 1kg per week.wish me luck

I wonder what your definition of "carbs" sounds like.

I started on a low carb diet (under 90 grams) about 3 months ago. I was absolutely amazed at how many carbs are in things like fruit. I had no idea. I'm guessing I'm not alone. One smallish pear is about 1/3 of my carb allotment for the day. Forget eating most of the frozen dinners from Lean Cuisine or Smart Ones either.

This is my issue (for me!) with really low carb diets, as I'd miss fruit and I think it's good for me. I keep them at around 100-120 (at least in the winter, when there's not local in-season fruit around, and when on a deficit). I tend to eat starchy carbs at only one meal, and not in huge portions (although I still will use beans and lentils as a non meat source of protein quite regularly -- they are another higher carb food I think is really important). I will also fit in smaller servings of potatoes and sweet potatoes and occasional pasta. I've never cared about bread or rice or dry/cold cereals (I in fact dislike cereals other than oatmeal), and steel cut oats are fine but I generally prefer eggs and veg for breakfast anyway, so mostly this is just eating how I like to eat. If I have an occasional higher carb day I don't care, however, as I am not aiming for any particular number.

My weight loss doctor recommended the goal of under 90 carb and over 100 protein because I was totally out of control with my eating when I first saw her. I would have totally balked at zero carbs because I do like fruits. I have gone as high as 120 in a day and I don't think that's a big issue as long as I am under my calorie goal. I eat very, very little bread, no rice or cereal of any kind. I have started incorporating very small amounts of some starchy vegetables back in my diet (corn, Lima beans, potatoes, etc.). I have never eaten lentils and I haven't eaten beans since I've been on this plan. I can talk to my doctor about it next month. I have worked so hard...I don't want to mess it up now.
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    33jtchn24h2y.gif
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    What do you plan on eating exactly if you're doing "no carbs"?
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    yoyo is lulu
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    What do you plan on eating exactly if you're doing "no carbs"?

OP has not returned and is not logging, so much ado about nothing. I suspect she probably meant she was eliminating things like breads, sweets, & pasta, but it will likely forever be a mystery...
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

You have failed to provide an example of someone getting scurvy from a carnivore diet. Instead, your study shows:
    His dietary history revealed that he ate mostly TV dinners, canned soups, and canned stewed vegetables...

My intent was not to prove that a carnivore diet is a specific risk, rather that scurvy is a risk at all. Just because OP doesn't know anyone with scurvy doesn't mean scurvy does not occur. If you look at my second post, I clearly state that I cannot say whether OP is at elevated risk.

Yes, everyone knows that scurvy exists. I have yet to see any evidence of a single person getting scurvy while eating a zero carb carnivore diet. And yet, I've met people who have been eating that way for more than a decade without interruption and without micro-nutrient supplementation.

The cool thing about statistics is that, unless otherwise stated, if 10-14% of the population present with vitamin C deficiency, it is safe to say that 10-14% of people on a carnivore diet will present with a vitamin C deficiency as they are part of the general population sample. A carnivore diet does not remove you from this risk.

Perhaps I misunderstood you. You seemed to scoff at the notion that there was any risk of scurvy at all, not that there was elevated risk related to your specific WOE.

And my apologies for conflating you with the actual OP. I have referred to OP a couple of times where I was actually referring to you.

Yes, you misunderstood, so I will clarify: Eating zero carb / carnivore does not increase one's chances of getting scurvy.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

There does not seem to be any dietary consideration in the study I linked so I presume it is for people consuming a "normal" balanced diet, including many of the fortified foods that helped to reduce the prevalence of scurvy (none of which are meat BTW).

My point is that, despite OP being anecdotally unaware of any scurvy cases, it is definitely still a risk even in developed countries. Whether OP is at elevated risk, I can't say.

Since you have now said you are talking about me rather than OP...

There is, in fact, dietary consideration in the study you linked. I quoted it above. That study is a case study about a particular individual, not a "10%-14%" group in developed countries.

If you look at micronutrients available in meat, you will find that vitamin C is the only micronutrient lacking in relation to RDA's. This is why so many eat beef without any problem... except they are consuming too little vitamin C compared to what is recommended. Many carnivore dieters have found that the lower consumption rate of vitamin C is fine because vitamin C and insulin use some of the same absorption pathways, so the low consumption of vitamin C with a zero carb diet is absorbed quite well. That's my understanding, though I acknowledge that I'm not an expert on this topic. Then again, I'm guessing nobody on this forum can properly be classified as a subject matter expert in this case.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options

I started on a low carb diet (under 90 grams) about 3 months ago. I was absolutely amazed at how many carbs are in things like fruit. I had no idea. I'm guessing I'm not alone. One smallish pear is about 1/3 of my carb allotment for the day. Forget eating most of the frozen dinners from Lean Cuisine or Smart Ones either.

I think there are many carbs that have a place in a healthy way of eating.
    Complex versus refined , is one way to separate them.
    Glycemic index is another way to distinguish the more nutritionally useful ones in the group.

Good luck with your choice.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I think there are many carbs that have a place in a healthy way of eating.
    Complex versus refined , is one way to separate them.
    Glycemic index is another way to distinguish the more nutritionally useful ones in the group.

Good luck with your choice.

I've gotten to a point where the commonly used labels aren't particularly helpful.
    Usually it's complex/simple but those aren't used in any meaningful way any more and are often used incorrectly.
    Complex/refined, is a new juxtaposition to me that also doesn't work for me.
    Glycemic index is somewhat helpful.
    Glycemic load more useful.
    Personally I aim for: nutrient dense, high fiber, unrefined carbs (which tend then to be low on both the glycemic index and glycemic load scales). They tend to be complex carbs. Basically: vegetables, legumes, and low sugar fruits.